Long gun delays in Washington State

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
Please help if anyone has solid answers, wondering what the law states on how long the delays are for long guns in Washington state. I waited for a month for one long gun and the shop said why didn’t you get it after 10 days? Mind you I went in there once a week because I never been delayed over 5 days. After 30 I had to do paperwork all over again and will pick up this Thursday. That’s six weeks waiting. A month of that time I blame the shop for not informing me that after 10 days I can legally take possession. My other is been 3 weeks on a delay. So what I am asking for is cold hard truth on waiting periods for Washington state on a long gun bolt action. I get the Covid thing and places are backed up with gun sales, but really? Information is greatly appreciated.

Well I haven’t bought a gun in Washington since before I retired in 2011.
I’m not sure what may have changed but I would be looking for a new shop to do business with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One is at Cabela’s and they are saying I have to wait till till the background check comes back. The other I will never step foot in again. First and last time I will use them, I do believe they would struggle managing a wet fart.

After 10 days it is yours...that is the law. The state asked dealers not to complete the transfer of the gun if the check isn't completed, but that isn't legal. My dealer here said he isn't in the storage business and he is following the law to the letter, regardless of what the state wishes.

I'm a FFL and what was said above is correct. After the require wait period its supposed to be released unless the ATF contacts the FFL and says not to.

Well what Cabela’s informs me today that they don’t recognize the 10 day period and have to have the “ proceed” from NICS. Well guess just lost some more business.

My understanding is that with the new law the hold up with with the Mental Health check with Department of Social and Health Services. They are slow getting the returns back to Law Enforcement.

Also before the new law the background checks were centralized ... now all that is pushed back to each local Sheriff's Office to handle.

In the old days if you had a concealed carry permit you could walk away with the new gun ... not anymore.

jjs405":16sp7wcm said:
My understanding is that with the new law the hold up with with the Mental Health check with Department of Social and Health Services. They are slow getting the returns back to Law Enforcement.

That could be, but the law still says that after 10 days the gun is yours if the check hasn't been completed.

Finally got the gun, sat at cabelas for 63 days waiting for proceed from NICS. Ask to ship to different ffl or refund my money. They took a week And a half to ship it 2 miles. Another paperwork application and in 4 days I got it. Finally done. What a major pain in the rear end.

Back