Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 am

• Custom Rifle Sale Ad
  • Shooters Pro Shop
  • Nosler Ballistics 2.0

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Community Table
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:20 am 

hunternyny wrote:

Wife an I will be leaving for Montana soon.

You fellows from wy and Montana----any snow yet ?

Some parts of North Central Montana are supposed to get 1-2 feet in the next day or two. We have a little snow up high on the mountains here in the Mission Valley. Nothing down low except rain.

My 4:30am alarm came early but it felt good to go run. I take my fat old yellow lab with me in the mornings. He has made it a habit to randomly need to relieve himself at different parts of run in the mornings. About pulls my shoulder out of socket when he puts on the brakes. Like throwing out a 90lb anchor. There is no gradual slowing down!

Today is going to be a busy one. 18 kids to do therapy with, pick up JoJo from day care, and try to get her to take a nap in the short hour or two we have at home before going to Polson for small group bible study.

20 days until general rifle season opens here. I'm counting down the days for sure! Can't wait to walk through the hills with my wife and Dad.

I can't find the words to describe the sadness I feel for the families affected by the shooting in Las Vegas. Let's all remember to keep them in our prayers that they may find peace and comfort during this time of tragedy.

Have a great day everyone!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 am 

DeerTracker wrote:
I can't find the words to describe the sadness I feel for the families affected by the shooting in Las Vegas. Let's all remember to keep them in our prayers that they may find peace and comfort during this time of tragedy.

Slept in this morning; woke up to this news. So many questions. I'm certain the authorities have their work cut out for them. I do pray God's mercy and peace for the families that are suffering.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:37 am 

It seems like every day we are waking up to hear of more problems just look in the last few days here Edmonton and now Las Vegas.
Lord we ask that you wrap your arms around the people of these troubled cities and take away the pain and suffering along with the anxiety and turmoil.

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:16 pm 

Home with a sick baby and sick myself. She sounds pretty pitiful with a snotty nose. Been reading lots of material on the 30-30 today. I've only killed a couple whitetail does with mine and would really like to hunt with it way more. I need to find an area with shorter range shots so I feel more comfortable with it. I had watch a big buck run off last season about 400 yards out because I only had my 45-70 and left my 300wsm in the truck. I don't like that "I knew I should have..." feeling.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:46 pm 

DeerTracker wrote:
Home with a sick baby and sick myself. She sounds pretty pitiful with a snotty nose. Been reading lots of material on the 30-30 today. I've only killed a couple whitetail does with mine and would really like to hunt with it way more. I need to find an area with shorter range shots so I feel more comfortable with it. I had watch a big buck run off last season about 400 yards out because I only had my 45-70 and left my 300wsm in the truck. I don't like that "I knew I should have..." feeling.

Sorry to here you and your daughter are sick.
I have always wanted a Sharps in 45-70 or 45-100 so I could see what it would be like to shoot long range like they did back in the day.
1000yds was considered very doable with the old Sharps back in the day, they even won a few championships.
Now I have a problem with open sights and a modern scope just wouldn't look right on top of a Sharps or Remington rolling block 28" barrel with a false muzzle to load a paper patched bullet. I have used regular muzzle loaders that have been fitted with a false muzzle and they were extremely accurate. Some were used by snipers during the civil war on both sides.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:57 pm 

Fascinating to speak of the 45-70 as a long-range cartridge. I'm reading a couple of historical accounts of the British at Rorke's Drift and the Battle of Isandlwana. It is interesting to note that the sharp shooters earned their crossed rifles by firing at man-sized targets at 600 yards with open sights using the Martini-Henry, .577/450 Martini-Henry. Muzzle velocity was 1300 fps with a maximum firing range of 1900 yards. Practise, practise, practise.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:39 am 

ahhhhhhh

Montana

Montana is another world compared to N.Y.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:34 am 

hunternyny wrote:
ahhhhhhh

Montana

Montana is another world compared to N.Y.

The average range of the last two deer I shot is 568 yards. I shot a buck at 450 yards in the middle of a CRP field with no way to get closer. The last buck I shot was 687 yards. It was the second to last evening of the season and a crippled buck that we had been seeing came out in the stubble field we were sitting above. He had been hit buy a car and his right front shoulder and leg were all messed up. My wife felt bad for him and I knew he wouldn't make the winter so I put him out of his misery with my 338 Edge. I had been holding out for a big 5x5 buck that we had been seeing. I'm glad I didn't pass on the crippled buck since we never saw the 5x5 again.

We are finally on the mend I think. Josie felt a lot better yesterday and played on the floor with the dog most of the day. We took her to the Dr. just to make sure it wasn't Croup or something worse than a regular cold. My little sister is coming to visit this weekend and will be here about the time we get off work today. Not sure what our plans are but we might take her to catch some Lake Trout off the dock in Polson. The Fall Mack Days tournament is going on now though so I don't know how busy it will be. The weather is supposed to be rainy but maybe it will hold off long enough to catch a fish or two. Rifle season opens two weeks from tomorrow. I can hardly contain myself! Have a great weekend everyone!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:52 am 

Your little sis is quite the shot, as I recall. Will she be looking for a buck with you?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:53 pm 

DrMike wrote:
Your little sis is quite the shot, as I recall. Will she be looking for a buck with you?
She is! I'm sure she will get out some. She is becoming a fair weather hunter and doesn't like the cold. She is now in her sophomore year of college so I'm not sure how much she will get to hunt this year. She came out with Dad and me a couple times last season but didn't hunt much. We always have fun though!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:39 am 

Doing the final prep for MT.
Touched up my knives and have them razor sharp so if I'm lucky I won't have to worry about whether they are sharp or not. All the clothes are hanging out in the sun after being rinsed out with clear water to get rid of any unwanted odor. Next up will be the packing.
I'll also make one more trip to the range to check the rifles zero with my loaded ammo.
I know the 338 is ready just need to check the 7Rem mag and maybe the 35/AI. I built that rifle just for Elk and feel bad not taking it along and it could still go along if the 7Rem mag doesn't preform they way I want it to.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:10 pm 

We made it to Ibiza. first time here, it is beautiful. wish I was 50 years younger

Fotis, if you get a chance, check out this island. you like Crete, as do I, but this is another one I think you would like. Admittedly I like the Greek food better than Spanish. W will travel onto Morocco, but may stay here a bit longer than first planned

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:12 am 

April,

Not a bad way to spend time.....................

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:10 am 

Charles, I am so happy that everything in your world is working out the way it is and has. and your headed to Colorado to hunt. I am so happy for you Charles.

"We" are a blessed group here on the forum. Charles and Tom are headed o Colorado, Rodger, Rol, and John are headed to Montana, Hodgemans son did well in his rifle competition, Gil and Susan represented Canada well at the Worlds in France, and they got to see Paris. Salmonchaser and Earle are doing what they love, guiding , Guy is doing what he loves, teaching people how to properly handle a firearm, Dr Mike is well and at our age Dr Mike, that is not all bad. Fotis has the sweetest shooting 340 I have ever seen. So many great hunting stories by so many members.

Sometimes we tend to concentrate on the negatives in our lives, but for the most part, it appear that the "glass is half full" for many of the Nosler forum members.

Thank the good lord for our good fortune and thank all the members of our armed services, both past and present for our freedom to enjoy our life as we see fit.

And I believe tomorrow is Thanksgiving in Canada. Happy thanksgiving to all our wonderful Canadian members

This post is one of the negatives of allowing women on the forum LOL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:54 pm 

Europe wrote:

Drat! Ain't that a pity! :mrgreen: Send some more ladies this direction. Perhaps their presence will bring a measure of civilization. (y)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:38 pm 

DrMike wrote:
Europe wrote:

Drat! Ain't that a pity! :mrgreen: Send some more ladies this direction. Perhaps their presence will bring a measure of civilization. (y)
Civilization? I thought it was compared to some of the forums I visit. :>)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:35 pm 

April, you and Dr Mike bring a completely different dimension to the forum, one that I enjoy

Thank you, I am enjoying Montana.

Early Happy Thanksgiving to all members from Canada

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:48 pm 

'Twil be a subdued Thanksgiving for us. My daughter and one granddaughter are quite ill with a viral bronchitis. I will not be preparing the turkey tomorrow, after all. I will, however, pull a couple of grouse I shot this weekend and prepare them for my good lady and myself. They will be draped with bacon and smoked to provide the centerpiece of a quiet observance for us. Perhaps the remainder of the family will be well enough to join us next weekend and I can smoke the turkey then. If not, there is always another day. A blessed and meaningful Thanksgiving to each of the Canadians on the forum.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:54 am 

DrMike we are lifting your daughter & granddaughter up in prayer (y).
Please let your family know they are in our prayers!!
May you & Lynda have a blessed day my friend.

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 am 

DrMike, I sure hope your daughter and granddaughter recover quickly! I will keep them in my prayers.

The next couple weeks are going to be torture for me. All I can think about is chasing big mountain mulies but I have two big tests coming up. I need to take one this week sometime and a big Praxis test for part of my teacher licensing next week on the 19th. I have so much studying to do and having a hard time focusing! It will be a huge relief once I'm done and can hunt opening weekend without a guilty conscience about studying.

Josie seems to be feeling a lot better. She was quite spunky this morning which makes it even more difficult to chase her down to wipe her snotty nose! She is getting pretty brave and taking a couple steps in between furniture by herself without holding on to anything. I can't believe she will be a year old in less than a month.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:55 am 

My granddaughter and daughter are recovering and gaining strength.

My wife and I stopped at a little country restaurant last evening to enjoy a "Thanksgiving" dinner. While there, a family was dining near out table. A little girl of about two years of age was constantly turning around to talk to us, smiling beautifully and shouting out, "Hello!" It would take a blind and deaf person not to smile when confronted by the love and exuberance of a little child. The parents seemed somewhat flustered that their daughter was focusing so much attention on a couple of strangers, but I assured them that we loved the little ones. Rather than being irritated, we were blessed to be the focus of her attention. I have not doubt that your daughter is similarly precious. One year old is a great period of life--for dads and moms.

Since we went for a drive yesterday and wound up eating out, I'll prepare bacon draped grouse breast and roast potatoes this evening on the Traeger. In the interim, there is work to do. It may be Tuesday, but Sunday is coming.

Here's pulling for you as you take the praxis!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:03 pm 

Thanks for the updates everyone :wink:. I didn't think I would ever get to hunt in our regular Bull Moose season but I will know tomorrow if I can get out for 2 or 3 day around the 20th of this month (y)

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 pm 

Dan,

I hope you get the chance. Good luck................

chs

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:25 am 

Thanks Charlie, this working 15 hours a week is sure cutting into my rec time :lol:.
Trying to secure $20,000,000.00 in insurance plus then liability on top of that is somewhat more complicated than this old guy remembers :shock:.
It will get done :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 am 

will cover several topics here while we have internet service

To answer about Jamila, her ( and I ) had ask for something here on the forum but our request has not been honored, at least not yet anyway and because of that I am not sure she will be back, but she is doing well and actually teaching an America about hunting in Africa at this time

Yes, we are still headed to Morocco and wish that Dr Mikes wife was with us. I think Susan ( Gils wife ) would also be a fun shipmate

Speaking of those two, I certainly hope thy are both feeling better and healing from their falls.

Poor hodgeman, it looks like he will have to put up with both myself and Jamila during the next dog sled race in Alaska--oh and maybe Cheyenne --he is about to be invaded by women--How big is your home Hodgeman ? Ha

I will probably also ask this on the reloading forum in a condensed manner. It looks like I now own a Win 1886 50-110 that I wanted to obtain for Cheyenne, as I think it would be a great addition to her lever collection. From memory the 300 was "the' weight bullet for it, but will ask in the reloading section

Actually Dr Mike and I remember when it was first introduced on the market ----well not really, we are old but not that old

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4 Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next