Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Nosler Homepage Shop Nosler Search Nosler Talk Loading & Reloading Nosler Load Data
Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:17 am

• Custom Rifle Sale Ad
  • Shooters Pro Shop
  • Nosler Ballistics 2.0

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Snowshoe Hike of the season!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:23 pm 

Tossed the snowshoes and a pack in the Jeep, met four of my buddies at the local ski resort. Hiked for a couple of hours on the mountain. It was great to be back on snowshoes!

Carried the .45 Kimber discretely under my wool shirt. I just figure it's part of my "emergency gear."

Guy

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: First Snowshoe Hike of the season!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 pm 

Great exercise, without a doubt. Afraid it would be the end of my knees now. Glad for you, Guy.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm 

Guy,

I don't know your life's story and the trials and tribulations you have experienced but it seems that you "are living the life" now. It is great that you can enjoy the out-of-doors as you do.

Dan

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:41 pm 

NYDAN wrote:
Guy,

I don't know your life's story and the trials and tribulations you have experienced but it seems that you "are living the life" now. It is great that you can enjoy the out-of-doors as you do.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Not a complicated life. West coast fellow for the most part. Grew up hiking, fishing, hunting, shooting, and even handloading. College. Marines. Married a home-town gal 36 years ago.

After service in The Corps, turned to a career with law enforcement. Deliberately chose an area, central Washington, that is literally surrounded by outdoor recreation opportunities. My home, Chelan County, Washington is conservative politically and is about 85% public land! Retired from law enforcement three years ago. Started my own little security consulting and training company. Keeps me busy and pays for some adventures.

I'll admit, that I saw and experienced, a whole lot of bad stuff in those two careers.

Never stopped hiking, fishing, hunting, shooting... Added cross-country skiing and a few other outdoor activities. I think that I had to be so serious, for so long, as a Marine and in law enforcement, that I like to get free, get out in the hills & canyons, and enjoy. Whenever I can.

I've tried to stay fit enough to enjoy the great outdoors, and despite a fair number of old injuries, I manage to do okay out in the wild. Almost every day I either go to the gym, or hike, or cycle to stay fit. Probably as much for mental health as for physical fitness. I've got to thank my father, and several other mentors, who showed me their way. Dad is 90, and was fly fishing for silver salmon, in Alaska, two months ago.

Regards, Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:13 pm 

Nice Guy!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:51 pm 

Guy,

Do you ever cross country ski? I have been debating between a pair of Snowshoes and a pair of Skis. I am packing 200+ pounds without gear and not sure if I could even find a pair of skis that would float my weight in deep snow.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:18 pm 

5shot wrote:
Guy,

Do you ever cross country ski? I have been debating between a pair of Snowshoes and a pair of Skis. I am packing 200+ pounds without gear and not sure if I could even find a pair of skis that would float my weight in deep snow.

I'm just a bit over 6' tall and weigh in at 225 pounds. I've been cross-country skiing since I was 18 years old.

LOVE IT.

I only do "classic" rather than "skate ski" because of a bad fall from my mountain bike 10 years ago. My right ankle never came back and I simply can't skate ski worth a hoot anymore. But I can classic ski until exhaustion. :) So yes, I ski like crazy.

I've hunted coyotes from my x-c skis. I've done Nordic Skiing in several states throughout our fine nation.

Highly recommend that if you want to try - rent some skis and take a lesson. That dramatically shortens the learning curve.

I don't take a lot of photos while cross-country (Nordic) skiing 'cause I'm moving fast and having fun! Yes, they can support a big guy moving across the snow!

There are times when snowshoes are better, and times when skis are better. Normally I'd rather hunt from snowshoes, and ski when I want to go fast and push myself physically.

Regards, Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:20 pm 

I used to cross country ski in my younger days, but have not spent much time on snowshoes. Guess I better buy both!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 pm 

45 years ago :shock: Dad tried to get me up on X country skis. He figured with the crutches I already had some of the equipment. I didn't work out...but Ive always thought that would have been a great way to get into some coyotes or "jacks". Looks like fun either way. CL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 pm 

It's funny - on snowshoes I tend to wander, explore. Stop. Look. Proceed at a deliberate pace, not normally in a hurry.

On skis... The speed-addict in me comes out and I tend to go as fast as I can, as hard as I can, as long as I can! :) Fun! I sweat a lot, end up breathing hard, just like if I was running a foot race... Love it! But it's not relaxing. I do that after the ski, with my feet up, in front of a fire, and something nice to drink.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:11 am 

First and foremost Guy, thank you for your service, both in the Marine corp and in law enforcement.

Like Dr Mike, my snowshoeing and cross country skiing days are over, but I enjoyed both in years past.

Glad you are in such good health and able to still do both.

The only time I hunted on cross country skies was in Sweden and we enjoyed it.

You have had and still do have a wonderful life. I am happy for you
Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 am 

That is one thing that I have never tried is Snowshoeing and it does look like it would be a hoot. This upcoming deer season looks like we may need snow shoes as winter has come early in Saskatchewan this year.
Last season we hunting in +15C weather and today which is 5 days away for opening day we are sitting at -15C with a wind chill of -27C :shock:.
Guy I am glad that you are able to enjoy the great outdoors in good health keep it up as long as you can Bud (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4