Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:27 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Overlanding"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:52 am 

You may or may not have bumped into the term "Overlanding" being used to describe making journeys that require the use of a vehicle that handles off-pavement travel well. Usually this means a well set-up 4x4 rig of some sort.

This isn't "rock crawling." It's not "mud bogging." It's not "desert racing." It's taking a trip into some awesome, sometimes very remote, areas via a 4-wheel drive rig. It can be as simple as a weekend trip to somewhere cool, or as complex as shipping a vehicle to another continent and going on a journey of several months duration.

For instance I read reports from a fellow who is well into his trip, driving his Jeep around the perimeter of the African continent! I think he's two years into the trip now.

My trips pale in comparison, many are just weekend trips with an organization known as Northwest Overland. Sometimes however the route is longer.

I've led the 600 mile overlanding route known as the WABDR or Washington Backcountry Discovery Route, from Oregon to Canada several times. It has about 100 miles of pavement, but the rest is dirt on Forest Service and BLM lands mostly.

My trip on the White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park earlier this year is what we'd call "overlanding" these days. Some of my friends also did a trip to the Maze District of Canyonlands, often regarded as the most remote place in the lower 48 states. It requires a vehicle to be capable of 300 miles of off-pavement travel without any resupply, and their trip lasted nearly a week. There is no drinkable water available in that area!

I'm mentioning it here, because a lot of us hunters have a vehicle that is very capable of doing this sort of thing, and sometimes in hunting season we're already doing something very much like it, though we hunters tend to drive to a good campsite and establish a base camp, rather than moving camp daily. It's something to perhaps consider in the spring or summer, if you're looking for something interesting to do. Overlanding can easily be coupled with other outdoor activities such as hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, rock collecting, photography, fishing, or even hunting.

Canyonlands, White Rim Road:

Death Valley, Titus Canyon:

Fridge in the back of my Jeep is a wonderful addition!

A NWOL group silly enough to follow me in Central Washington earlier this year:

Typical campsite for me, this one near Donner Pass, California:

There was NO SNOW when I went to bed in my little tent the night before!

Roof Top Tents are popular with some:

Sometimes it's a pretty rough road. Note that the Toyota ran out of suspension travel, and the passenger side front tire has lifted up, off the ground:

My little Jeep, taking me across a stream on one of our trips last year:

So - consider getting involved in this if you enjoy getting out. Can be done individually, with a few friends or family, or with an organized group like Northwest Overland. All are enjoyable.

Regards, Guy

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: "Overlanding"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:51 am 

I used to do a lot of that myself, Guy. I had a 1973 Bronco, that was locked up, and powered up. There are hundred of miles of old logging or mining roads around my area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thompson Falls Montana

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:24 am 

Great Photos Guy ! Could a full size truck like a GMC extended cab do this or is it to big ?
I have to say that photo along the river I would be pulling my side mirror in and hoping around the corner the road is not washed out and I did not have to back up.
When I was younger I loved 4 wheeling, these days I try not getting stuck and making the walk of shame to a ranch or farm to get a tractor.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:21 pm 

Oh yes, a full size truck can do most of the routes we take, and a full size has some advantages.

A good buddy of mine used his 3/4 ton GMC 4-door, 4wd pickup to go most of the places I take my Jeep. He doesn't mind brush scratches. He did put a "leveling kit" in the front end to raise the front a bit, get it out of the weeds, and went to 285/75/16 tires. His truck does very well, and surprises a lot of Jeepers with where it can go. V8 power and a fair amount of weight can be good things.

Now he's keeping that as his work truck, and has resurrected a 1979 four-door, one-ton Chevy pickup, turning it into a flat bed, and is using it for this sort of thing.

Another guy took his full size 1991 Suburban on one heck of a trip with us and did fine. He had to work a little harder in the tight places, made some multi-point turns where my Jeep just zips through, but made it!

Time to time the full-size won't fit, but normally it will.

Ya, that road with the cliff on one side and the river on the other... That was TIGHT. I was pulling a little trailer too. I wasn't going to be able to back up, so I'm glad I didn't meet oncoming traffic.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 pm 

BTW, a pickup is great, 'cause bulky cargo, or things like chainsaws can be carried in the bed. Very nice.

I used this for a decade, before I got the Jeep. 1999 Dodge Ram half-ton, manual trans, 5.2 V8. Now and again I still miss that truck. The only "mods" I made to it were bigger tires and Rancho shocks. It did very well.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 pm 

Guy, if I can get my old knee fixed and can get my strength back, that sure looks fine! I would love to see that.

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:33 am 

I have never done the larger tires because I wanted to have clearance for my tire chains. I do like the looks of GMC coming from the factory with a 2 inch lift kit.
Yes I like the Leer Topper on my truck also just put my bed in the back the other day as I use it at ATA events to rest a little while I wait my turn to shoot. Always liked what Jeeps can do though as they can get into some crazy places.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:36 am 

Those are some very cool places you've gone too Guy! Makes me want to build just such a truck with a spare engine I have kept since I took it out of my Corvette in 2011. I was going to put it into a boat, but bought a Boston Whaler instead. I know every inch of the engine and how to keep it running, super simple old school 4 bolt main 358 cu in LT-1 motor that's a little modified.

I wanted to find a used Baja 1000 truck w/o a motor to install it in, but Jeeps make good swaps too although the gas milage would suck with this engine! Not such a good idea out in the middle of know where! lol

Very cool seeing your pictures guy, thanks for share them!

“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment.”

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:10 am 

Great thread Guy and some really impressive pictures. If I ever retire I'd like to do some of that for sure.

I did however do something worthy here of late. That is finally retire my wife's suburban! It's a 2000 that we have owed 16 years and have put about 200 of the 242K miles on it. Bought it from auction and wanted one with 4 wheel drive so that some day it could have a life doing something other than getting groceries. It did over the years go on a few hunting trips, pull my camper and haul large groups of folks around.

Upon retirement I had my buddy who manages a garage put a 6" lift, larger mud tires/rims, get rid of the GM "grenader rear locker" with a yukon limited slip, 410 gears and replaced the front end. We are in the process of starting to build a swing-away spar tire mount.

It does have one small issue. The stock 5.3 is worn out. Even with the 410 gears it has a hard time with the 34" tires and tried to over heat going up a steep grade. So we are going to purchase a used LS motor/tranny/computer that they use in the Escalade. That will up the power a tad.

While a suburban will never be a jeep it will be one heck of overland rig with some ability to handle moderate trails. We did that a few weeks ago at a jeep park. Sticks really well climbing, has decent clearance, is good in the mud but, does not have to angles to really handle trails rated 6 and up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:46 am 

Excellent! Ya, I've used full size rigs in the past, and have a couple of buddies who use their full size pickups or SUV's. They do great! The only problems, as you know, are when the route is just too tight or narrow. By the time it's that bad, I'm getting worried about making it too.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:08 am 

Guy,

That looks like a lot of fun! Great photos too!
I just bought a new truck and reading this is giving me some ideas for my old truck that I was going to put up for sale this weekend.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4