Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:04 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auto/Truck Repair
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:33 pm 

I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD 4x4 that the AC compressor went belly up on an and was looking to have it replaced with OEM parts.
After searching for parts prices on the internet I had a good feeling for what it would or should cost.
The first shop wanted $600 just for the compressor including labor to install but if the orifice needed to be replaced it would be another $400. ( :?: ) Next up a dealer wanted $900 for the same work two other dealers wanted $1200-$1400 if they didn't run into any problems or needed any other parts like a belt tentioner.
Sounds like I was being ripped off by all but one but they were still on the high side.
I have a friend who had owned his own repair shop but a divorce put him out of business and has been working for other shops since and I had lost touch with him till I did a search on Face Book and left him a message.
He called and we worked out a price with a warranty on the parts and labor, $500 total. When he took my vin number and called for parts the sales person told him that the O-ring kit install kit would be $75 more and include a warranty for one year so naturally I said sure do it so now I'm at $575 still a good deal for me.
I dropped my truck off Friday night for him to work on it on Saturday. At 1130am I get a call the truck is done and I could pick it up but said he had to change the belt tentioner pulley because it was tight and he would eventually have to do it anyway and I would have to add another $50 for parts but no labor so now I'm at $625 and still a good deal for me since the cheapest was $900 and I didn't know what all else I would be charged for.
When I picked up my truck my friend showed what all he had replaced besides the compressor and belt tentioner, the complete air drier assembly was in the O-ring kit along with the lines,strainer,flush fluid and oil. Everything needed to do the job.
Everything is new OEM parts for the AC system and it only cost me $625 for the parts and labor.
I know that there is over head to cover at the dealers and my friend did this at his house with the tools he has accumulated over the years but there is know way a Dealer can justify $800 more then what he charged me, his labor was $150 (which I considered fair since he is a highly skilled auto mechanic ) for roughly 3-4hrs work with no excuses that my truck had rust and corrosion causing for more labor or broken parts to be replaced which I had heard could possibly happen from the dealers.
I only posted this so you can see how the Auto repair shops and Car dealers are ripping us off.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Auto/Truck Repair
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:13 am 

Rodger that doesn't only happen in the US here in Regina the major dealerships are charging a 140.00 plus 15% for materials for labour.
I had to have a camshaft sensor replaced on my Honda Civic and the part was $69.00 and labour was almost 300.00 it is highway robbery :evil:.
Many people are trading off their vehicles when warranty is finished because they are afraid of repair costs. So the dealerships are winning as they get a modest amount for the sale of a new vehicle but then make their real money on service and warranty claims :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:21 pm 

Thanks Dan for responding to my rant.
When I had my own business I was very careful who I had repair my equipment and had one dealer ship in Conn. try to rip me off big time but showed them I wasn't born in the dark last.
I always price things out so I know what the cost should be up front to keep from being ripped off too badly.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:06 pm 

Rodger, my Dad was a journeyman mech & I did a lot of backyard stuff until the computers started coming in.
For a number of years I had a very expensive hobby called a 66 Chevelle with a 454 LS-6 under the hood :wink:.
I loved working on motors but just not a computer guy :(.
Actually I am looking for a new wrench as mine moved to BC.
I am like you & try to have a idea of cost before I take it anywhere.

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:01 pm 

Rodger/Dan

I am not a mechanic and never wanted to be, but I did enjoy fast cars and my husband indulged me.

He helped me get into the amateur drag races and we even had a 308 GTS Ferrari back in the eighties. Loved driving it to Las Vegas as most roads to Las Vegas from Arizona were wild open and we could really let the ponies run. I also enjoyed the drag racing but it was an expensive sport and we caught the travel and sailing bug so I gave it up.

But the amount of money spent on motors were outlandish. Of course Rodger saw pretty big expenses keeping those 18 wheelers working properly and not just on the motor but I bet you spent a dollar or two on rubber as well

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:49 pm 

Europe wrote:
Rodger/Dan

I am not a mechanic and never wanted to be, but I did enjoy fast cars and my husband indulged me.

He helped me get into the amateur drag races and we even had a 308 GTS Ferrari back in the eighties. Loved driving it to Las Vegas as most roads to Las Vegas from Arizona were wild open and we could really let the ponies run. I also enjoyed the drag racing but it was an expensive sport and we caught the travel and sailing bug so I gave it up.

But the amount of money spent on motors were outlandish. Of course Rodger saw pretty big expenses keeping those 18 wheelers working properly and not just on the motor but I bet you spent a dollar or two on rubber as well
Yes I did April. I always bought new tires for my rig though more costly then recaps I saved money on down time from flats and repairs.
My Tractor had a Caterpillar diesel and every time I had to get it serviced or repaired it was $1000 bill and they would give a new hat. I have a lot of $1000 hats in the closet. Some I wear and some I don't.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:30 pm 

A lot of the A/C stuff gets expensive because of the shops having to possess the equipment to evacuate the Freon. Most back yard mechanics don’t have it, and with the threat of incarceration over environmental wrong doing these days, won’t work on them. That leaves the dealerships and the larger shops. Like many other things, the small guy gets squeezed out due to regulation.

It does seem like robbery until one examines what it costs to keep the doors open, required employee health care, insurance, etc. Someone has to pay for it. Then there’s the issue of finding and keeping employees, employee training, etc. It never ends.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:56 pm 

Yeah I under stand the cost and over head to operate since I've been there. But a 3hr repair shouldn't cost 300% above the price of the parts and OEM parts were used for the repair.
That's like you use to be able replace a Transmission filter and fluid now they claim you have to flush the transmission and they never change the filter but just fill with new fluid during the flush.
Auto repair is how to rip off the car owner anymore and not about customer service.
There I go ranting again.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:35 am 

I know the cost of small business owners is crazy but being retired I am on a limited fixed income so I look at trying to find the best deal for my buck :wink:.
I purchase almost all auto parts myself and have the shop install them that includes oil and filter. In my truck I have never used any oil other that Syn. Mobile 1 and Wix filters :wink:.
My truck using Syn oil, I change it at between 5,000 & 6,000 Kms.

Blessings,
Dan

Whelen is the way

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4