Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:43 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dodged A Bullet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:30 pm 

This wasn't a really close call but close enough.
Last week the wife and I took a little get away trip to the PA Grand Canyon in Wellsboro PA. It was a dual purpose trip, which included my checking out a possible hunting lease.
The weather didn't cooperate and it was cool and rainy the whole time we were there. We did a lot of riding around and looking with me checking out the lease.
We decided to leave early and we stopped to check out the canyon on the way home. Though the leaves weren't in full color it was still nice plus we didn't have to contend with any crowds and basically had the whole place to our selves.
Coming home I decided to take the scenic route and stay off the major high ways for most of the way back down out of the PA mountains.
The road, PA rt 44 reminded me of US-40 before interstate I-70 was built, 2 lanes and lots of curves and steep climbs which followed the terrain.
The weather cleared as we got down out of the hills and the sun even decided to shine on us.
Got home around 1800 hrs (6PM). There where storm warns for my local but nothing out of the ordinary.
Around 2000 hrs (8PM) it hit, heavy rain and extremely high winds. The wind noise was so loud you couldn't hear any thunder.
The house started shaking and the electricity went out for a short time but came back on. Then as fast as it came up it was gone the night was dead still and you could here a pin drop out side.
We had no NOAA alert or warning that there was a Tornado in the area. My area sustained no known to me damage but 5 miles south east of me a F-2 touched down and tore up a small town damaging several industrial buildings and a trailer park plus one farm took a head on hit.
We don't get too many of these in my area but it seems when we do they are always in the fall of the year and not during the summer heat.
I had one damage my house in 1992 at 0200 hrs while I was a sleep. There again no warning and it was too late to get under cover or get to the cellar since it was on top of us before we knew it.
These things seem to be like cat burglars and only come in the night where they can hide under the concealment of darkness.
We are lucky no one was injured and there was only property damage.

Online Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Dodged A Bullet
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:21 pm 

Rodger, I am glad you weren't affected by the storm. Yes, those types of storms can come up fast and without notice.

Dan

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:18 pm 

Thanks Dan.

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:24 pm 

TD, we had kinda the same thing here. Probably same storm. The emergency alert went off on cell phones and 10 minutes later a squall hit us like like you described. No damage here but lights flashed some. Surprised we didn’t lose electricity, we usually lose it pretty easy here.
That area in pa is pretty nice. I used to go to Denton Hill state park for a traditional archery shoot every summer. We usually came up rt 287 but if we were not in rush we took 144 back down to 80 on way home.
Your not too far from elk country there. If you ever go back, check out bennzette where they have the elk center if you haven’t been there.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:45 pm 

billbam wrote:
TD, we had kinda the same thing here. Probably same storm. The emergency alert went off on cell phones and 10 minutes later a squall hit us like like you described. No damage here but lights flashed some. Surprised we didn’t lose electricity, we usually lose it pretty easy here.
That area in pa is pretty nice. I used to go to Denton Hill state park for a traditional archery shoot every summer. We usually came up rt 287 but if we were not in rush we took 144 back down to 80 on way home.
Your not too far from elk country there. If you ever go back, check out bennzette where they have the elk center if you haven’t been there.
Thanks for the info.
I've been to an Elk preserve in PA near St Mary's, might be the same one.

Online Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4