Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:18 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Know your target. Hunter killed.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:48 pm 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 023836002/

Didn’t say if they were wearing their orange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Know your target. Hunter killed.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:04 pm 

What a tragedy for the one who pulled the trigger and for the family of the man who was shot. Does MI require hunter orange when hunting on private land? That is not required here in BC, but I can see how it would be a good idea in areas with higher hunter density.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:27 pm 

Sad story, something that never should have happened.

Mike,
Hunter orange is required by law on private or public land except for bow hunting, turkey hunting and waterfowl hunting.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:31 pm 

Thank you, Jim. If the hunter was wearing orange, it is difficult to believe that he was mistaken for a game animal. Seems tragic all the way around.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Know your target. Hunter killed.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:57 am 

I took a fellow fishing once who had been shot off of his ATV. The man who pulled the trigger was at some distance away and started to leave. His conscience got to him and he came back. For some reason the bullet did not expand, penetrating his pelvis. This was a case when bullet failure was a Blessing. Full recovery, the shooter was somehow not charged.

Be careful out there.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 am 

Sorry to here this, condolences to the mans family.
Over penetration is always a big concern for me because of the number of hunters and the lack of wide open country so I always try to know what is behind what I'm shooting at and now the city people are buying up the wood lots and building house where they shouldn't due to the topography of the land making it even harder to find a place to hunt and shoot.
When I was starting to learn to deer hunt with my father back in the day there were no regs for blaze orange vest and most wore hunter red and black or green plaid.
One fellow showed up with a slim green vinal hat that looked white when the sun shone on it. I can remember seeing this white thing coming to me in the thickets and my first thought was that it was a white tail doe showing her flag and was on alert if there was a buck behind her since we could only shoot bucks. It was a good thing I wasn't trigger happy and had learned my lessons well because when he stepped out of the thicket I was ready to mount the rifle and take a shot with my old Marlin 30-30. That scared the shucks out of me though I hadn't drawn down on him just the thought of the possibility gave me cold chills so I'm always extra careful of my surroundings.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:07 pm 

JD338 wrote:
Sad story, something that never should have happened.

Mike,
Hunter orange is required by law on private or public land except for bow hunting, turkey hunting and waterfowl hunting.

JD338

Except during rifle season, even bow hunters are required to wear orange. After rifle ends, they can go back to camouflage.

We have had late doe seasons to thin the herd in December, but they don’t make those bow hunters wear orange.

I can’t say I’ve heard of a bow hunter being shot by a rifle hunter. There was one quite Sr. Citizen shoot another hunter who was walking out. The old guys eye sight wasn’t that good. Speculation on my part, probably well past dark and shooting at a sound. That had to be 20 years ago in Tawas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:23 am 

A tragedy indeed. In my part of Texas almost all hunting is from blinds. On my property I tell people to stay in that damned blind and group text all others in blinds if you have to get out of it. I remember being on an invitation hunt with similar directions and I see a dumbass in camo sneaking through the brush. An invitation to tragedy. I would far prefer my own death than to be responsible for the death of an innocent person. Hunters need to be more careful.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:51 am 

It has been quite a while since I compiled any firm statistics on this subject, we were investigating a " hunting accident".
If memory serves correctly 97.5% of all unintentional shootings related to hunting occur within three feet of the muzzle.
As with many issues involving firearms we remain our worst enemy.
Be alert, be safe, keep those you hunt with safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:52 pm 

Well last season I was sitting in a hunting shack and hear 3 shots...and the bullets wizzing by within feet of me and hitting a tree next to me. A guy, with his granddaugher was driving in a nearby field and saw some does. Let loose out of the vehicle window at the running does not thinking or worrying about what was in his line of fire 200 yds away in open view. He had been told by the land owner to not hunt that field because of that exact problem...but he thought it wasn’t a problem.

By the grace of God no one was injured, including. Him as he drove away before I could get to him.
We then talked to that landowner who was very apologetic and that guy is no longer hunting that property.

Even on private property, in fields, you cannot trust that other hunters have any sense or value safety about puting an animal on the ground.

Long

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:58 pm 

There are all kinds of hunting accidents including the most prevalent "self inflicted" accidents. Most are just freak accidents that are caused by a failure to follow basic safety protocol. However, "mistaken for game" incidents are intentional shootings that fall into a category of negligence that is criminal. Shooters in these cases should be prosecuted.
Just my two cents.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4