Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:29 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pearl Harbor Day
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:01 am 

Dec 7th, 1941

Dad is a WWII Navy veteran. He got in on the tail end of the war. We talk about it every Dec 7th. Already had our little chat. He's glad that my sons and I remember.

Guy

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Harbor Day
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:06 am 

The folks of that generation have seen so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:37 am 

Guy my father was just the opposite. He would not talk about it. After he passed, mom shared a journal he kept as well as letters to her. The letters were upbeat, the journal was more about the horror, fear each day was the last day and the camaraderie was very prevalent both when writing about those lost and those still there at the time of his writing. Watching the funeral of 41, refreshed memories of my dad to me. They were a different breed of men for sure. Doing the "right" thing as opposed to the "easy" or "popular" thing. I am glad I was around to know some of them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 am 

Dad mostly talks about the effect the war had on his small-town & high school. Apparently all the males in one or two of the graduating classes, went to war.

That's kind of amazing, when most people I know now, don't even know anyone serving.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:53 am 

Guy, my mother spoke of a different part of the war after pearl harbor was bombed. Not only that she was proud of our father and his brother and her brother ( who did not return ) for serving but she also reminded us that what happen at home was remarkable.

Everybody who didn't ship out went to work for the war effort in one way or another. Women who were baking pies one day were being taught to weld in the shipyards the next day. She believed that not enough people understand that the fellows being shipped out needed ships, planes, bombs, ammunition, clothes, food, medical supplies, etc etc etc--you could not fight a war, empty handed and the men who were too old to ship out and the women shouldered this burden of suppling our men at war. AND, they did it without complaining --they just did it!

Point two, john mentioned this in a different post and no one commented, so possibly he is the only one here with Jewish ancestors who witnessed the atrocities committed by Hitler.

But when we talk about the greatest generation, I for one see more people in that picture than just our soldiers, and I say this with total respect, admiration, and gratefulness to those men who fought with honor and courage, and thank each and every one of them--those who came home and those who didn't.

And for the record, I believe we still have men and women who would sacrifice everything for their country---Scotty and his family immediately come to mind, and there are others.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:47 pm 

The Remember Pearl Harbor Song.

https://youtu.be/MlwmhWiiD2I

Were any of our members in this glee club or dating those guys?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:01 pm 

well I was in grade school and my mother was against me dating at that age. sorry could not resist, but I do remember the song

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:32 am 

LOL Well you are one up on most of us here April, as I wasn't born yet.

And, thank you April for your comments in your prior post above. Yes, my grandmother saw World War II much different than some and her strength and courage to just survive was remarkable. She also was grateful to and for the sacrifice made by Countries like the United, States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, and many other countries for stopping the aggression and atrocities.

I would also like to mention that the war was not just fought in Europe, Pacific, and Asia. Many good men were lost in Africa. One from my wife side of the family.

But in closing, although I dont remember the Pearl Harbor attack, I would like to thank and remember those who so valiantly fought during World War II. god bless you all

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:30 pm 

Three of my aunts, moms older sisters, were involved with the USO. All three met my future uncles while working with the USO.
Uncle John was bayoneted on D-day:
Uncle Bill was stationed in the Philippines when Pearl Harbor was attacked. He avoided capture, spent the war fighting with guerrillas. Weighed 220lbs when the war started, 140 by the time it was over.
Uncle Bud made the news reel photos at Pearl. Young sailor in a tee shirt near hangers firing a browning machine gun. Spent the war driving marines onto beaches. Had three landing craft shot out from underneath him.
They are all gone now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:26 am 

Don, your family were involved, as was your dad Guy. The men and women of that era were the real thing, that is for sure.

Do any of you remember that the feed companies started suppling sacks of feed in different patterns and colors so that after the livestock was fed, our moms could use the sacks to make shirts for the boys, and dresses for the girls. The funny thing is I dont remember anyone in school feeling bad about wearing them and nobody made fun of those of us who did

A different time

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:05 am 

I would take nothing from the generation that preceded me in life. However, though there are some snowflakes in today's world, there are still courageous and valiant men and women. Our soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen serving in Afghanistan do the nation proud. They have fought, often with politically imposed limitations, demonstrating true heroism. I do believe these men and women serving today have been imbued with the spirit of their fathers. And though they may appear to be a minority, their very presence tends to silence the cowardly and emboldens the courageous.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4