Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:23 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A rant...from my employment
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:13 pm 

A random rant shared among the cognoscenti...I rarely talk about my employment but I work for a large corporation doing a tough job out here in the hinterlands. They compensate me well, but demand a lot in the process. Over the last decade and a half I've made them a pile of money and delivered my end of the deal above expectations. I'm not afraid to work hard and I'm not afraid to demand what the result is worth either.

They've got me off running a dept. that I don't really like and feel ill-suited for, a job I took under duress in the final throes of a contract deliverable. The usual "come in and save the day for us from that decision you told us not to make to start with" kind of thing. The agreement was that I'd get them over the hump for the completion of a contract and then I'd get to move on to something more in line with my skills and interest should we win the follow on contract.

Well, we won that contract well over a year ago and so far my requests to move along to a position more in line with my skill set have been mostly ignored. I've put in for several jobs that I'm more than qualified for and not even gotten an interview. Jobs that went to people with a lot fewer miles on the odometer or a blatant political hire. The work I do really well is now being delegated out to others with a lot less talent and experience, or no experience in one case. As a bonus, I now get to "help" them do their job and do mine too with no end in sight.

I'm a big boy, but the fine line between being "leveraged for the corporate good" and being "taken advantage off" feels like it's been crossed fairly decisively.

I used to think I'd work here for rest of my career, but I'm not so sure at this point. It dawned on me yesterday- I haven't had a single good day at work in over 2 years. At my age I feel like I should be in a more strategic role using the experience I earned the very hard way to make the whole operation better.

Instead I'm hammering away at it 12-13 hours a day guzzling coffee and munching blood pressure pills in a vain attempt to ward off the reaper while I do two jobs are once, The paranoid side of me wonders if they just wish I'd go away now that we've secured another long term contract.

Any of you folks have experience with a change later in your career? Did it work out for you or just the same old crap with a different name on the check? I hate the thought of moving on, but I hate the thought of staying even more.

Sorry for the rant/whining session, but it somehow feels better to air it out and let people either call me a wimp or get told to go full mercenary and hoist the jolly roger for another outfit.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: A rant...from my employment
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:36 pm 

Over the years, I've had a lot of different jobs with the same company.

I can do many things well and was successful in all.

I found that the most fulfilling job wasn't WHAT I doing, it was THE PEOPLE I was working with.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:58 pm 

I don't have an answer for you. But I will relate this: My work finds me in the "human services" field. In theory and sometimes in practice, I try and help people less fortunate than myself have a better life and do things that most of us take for granted. Unfortunately, It means that the money that pays my salary comes from your tax dollars- that's a fact. Not something that a very conservative person such as myself is always proud of. The system finds a hundred inefficient and stupid ways to waste your money every day. That and the fact that I haven't seen a raise in almost ten years is disheartening to say the least. But the work that we try and do and the people I do it with, and for, these are things I am proud of. Not looking for sympathy here....I just turned down an offer today for a different position that would have meant a 5K raise. Not sure that was the right thing...

Yesterday- I asked the advice of a friend who hired me in my first position 30+ years ago. He left the Human services field long a ago and worked like whipped army mule for all this time only to see that owner of the company, who initially hired him, sell the company and leave him with nothing, but his job. So he worked even harder trying to keep his job and make things happen for the new owner. Much like you, taking on more, keeping things afloat and progressing for the new owner...until last November, he had a stroke...which he attributes largely to his work. He still has his job and has returned to work but his outlook is definitely changed. He plans to stay with the company but set some limits....

His advice to me was to stay with my current job based on the value of the work I do, for the people we serve, not the paycheck. Its all I know so it is what I will do for now.... but long days and no pay makes us all question if its worth it some times. Like I said no answers just empathy...

My guess is you have some very valuable skills and there is/ will be a place to apply them. As has been said its the people you work with that make it worthwhile. Hang in there. Sorry for my own rant... CL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:39 pm 

I would like to share a couple of things that I have shared with others who thanked my at a later time. I believe a man was born to work, it's in our genes. BUT, working in the wrong job or one ill suited for your talents makes for a very long life, and will eventually affect not only you, but others Getting up every day and going to a job that your unhappy with will create a toxic environment that we strain your relationships with family and friends. It's very similar to waking up next to the wrong women, it never goes away. BUT, you have some choices, get an appointment with those controlling your work and have an honest quiet discussion with them. Explain how you feel, the commitment you have to them and see if can get you back into what pleases you and makes you the most effective. Listen to them also as they have valid reasons, why you have been placed where you are. If there is no way your needs and expectations will ever be met, you will have to make the choice to stay or look for other opportunities. This is a grand time in our country, there are jobs everywhere and a variety of opportunities. Skilled help is hard to find and corporations are hungry for talent that can get the job done. That's my .02, good luck with whatever your decision is, we are rooting for you. (y)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:41 am 

Elkman has very sound advice. I am 72 yrs old, retired after a variety of jobs. The last i started at age 35 was 25 years for a utility in four different positions. Each was different and a learning experience. If after complete consideration of your options, change is appropriate never look back.
Best of Luck. Rol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:18 am 

Hope you can figure out your best move Hodgeman. I'm sure you will. Wish you the best.

I walked away from a great paying job when I was 22 that looking back was the best decision career wise that I ever made. Taught me what I should and shouldn't put up with, and where the line is where the money just isn't worth it. Spent the next 9 yrs trying to figure out my best options with 2 or 3 different jobs until I finally went in business for myself. Been my own boss for 18 yrs now. Not for everybody, but if it fell apart tomorrow I'd figure out something else to do as my own business where I'm in large control of my schedule and ultimately don't have to deal with the thankfully relatively few people that wake up choosing to be ignorant and unreasonable. I can and have walked away, and still have the same job and business the very next day that makes the same money.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:18 am 

It does happen. Local office politics can trample careers and jobs of those in remote offices (virtual).

The last 3 years were hard. Several times I considered walking. But everyday, I’d put in an honest effort plus and redoubled taking care of myself. Time balance. I love my family time, I love my work out time, and feel better when I’ve gotten my sleep. When I’m at work, that’s where I am.

I think it’s rare to enjoy every day on the job no matter we’re you are in life, but there is no reason to not enjoy every other remaining minute of the day.

You might need your bosses to get promoted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 am 

Trying to read between the lines but I’m assuming oil or construction. Either way, it’s about the same.

I don’t work for anyone but myself but I have friends and family who work for the big boys throughout the states. Your story is exactly the same one I’ve heard so many times and it’s a darn shame. A guy gets some experience under his belt, does a good job, and they give you some young gun boss who doesn’t know shinola other than the critical path and Gant Schedule. The older guys who once had your back are retiring as quick as they can. It’s all about the administration, the end product really doesn’t matter. It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s where you place the blame.

This is what it has become. A guy has to accept this for what it is, and embrace the suck. As long as the paychecks clear.

A person can do his own thing, which is what we do. That comes with a whole other set of problems. None of it easy. We have to find something inside, and quit letting the world around us dictate our happiness. Hard to do some days, but a little bit at a time it gets better.

Go hug your loved ones, have a beer, and get at it

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 am 

The economy is roaring.

Give your notice. When asked, tell them how you have been given short shrift and exploited.

If they love you, they'll find a way to make you happy. If not, move on.

None of them will shed tears if you stroke out on the job.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 am 

It isn’t roaring in Alaska. We’re in real trouble here.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:21 am 

Consider a change in locale, like a six-month contract in the oil patch, fracking, natural gas, etc.

Engineering managers should be able to write their own ticket under this administration.

Remember, you have to be alive to enjoy your compensation.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 am 

Prayers for you!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:55 pm 

Feel for you buddy. I had a bunch of bosses as I worked my way through my law enforcement career. Always hated getting screwed with. I think Bill and George have the right idea.
Good luck life’s too short to work for an Adam Henry; sleep with a mean woman or hunt with an ugly rifle.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:10 pm 

Oil, gas extraction is stable here in the Northern Plains. Pipeline, utility construction, solar are booming but the markets and contracts are well established so you'd have to go to one of the big, faceless companies or a startup that specializes in an emerging technology. The problem is, all of these fields come with overtime and stress.

The haven't had a good day of work in 2 years line tells me you already know what answer is right for you.

5 years ago I made a change at 39 years old. The field I was working in was stagnant in terms of wages and benefits. Several "wal mart" type contractors were in a bidding war for the work and nobody was willing or able to open their wallet for quality help in that market. I did love the work I did, but hated getting up in the morning for increasing responsibility and longer work days without increasing rate of compensation.

I started casually shopping new employment and put out a couple of resumes. I was surprised when I was called in for an interview within an hour of submitting a resume online to a local company. I interviewed 2 days later and was hired on the spot for about 50% more than my previous wage with better benefits...but in a new type of work with which I had little direct experience. It ended up being very exciting and rewarding learning some new skills and applying my 15 years of knowledge of my previous profession to the new one. The area of utility damage prevention and electronic locating was a bit of a black art as far as most of the supervisors were concerned, and being able to work me into different crews in different sectors of the company to pass this knowledge along while being a productive employee made me an "indispensable" (in the words of the company VP) asset. They even created a new union scale specifically for my position to keep other union hands from getting butt hurt that they were paying me WELL above scale for my title. That 2 week notice I put in with my previous employer felt like lifting a slab of granite off my chest, and in 5 years I now make approximately double my old salary and feel very respected and fulfilled at the end of the day, with a whole new skillset to apply to some cushy office gig someday when I get too old for field work.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:34 am 

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've been updating my project portfolio and that was a real trip down memory lane of work that I used to do that I enjoyed a whole lot more.

I started working with a head hunter this week to update my resume and see what is out there that's a better fit. It was a painful sort mental turn, but ultimately I somehow feel better about it.

Thanks for your patience.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:44 am 

Good luck!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:25 am 

Sounds as if you made a good decision. We're pulling for you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:27 am 

The biggest obstacle to changing your situation is deciding to change your situation.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4