Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:19 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 37 years
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:51 pm 

So 40 years ago, I got this little red headed girl to go to a movie and dinner on Valentine’s Day. Foolish me I didn’t know it would be the advent of a lifetime. I live my hunting and fishing, but I look forward to seeing her everyday. She’s supportive of my hunting provided I share the harvest with her. I married her on 11/19/83, not being a hunter at age 23, who would have thought of opening day for deer rifle season.

But tonight is dear season and I made her favorite cookies this afternoon between meetings.

When we got married, the preacher kept it simple. A vow, such as in the Old Testament, ancient Jews would rather die than break a vow. Once you understand how to keep a vow for your life you’ll understand, every morning you wake up, you ask yourself, how can I make my marriage better? And if she does the same, the vow becomes fun and not a chore.

Looking forward to 37 more!

Wishing you all blessings in your marriages!

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: 37 years
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:01 pm 

Happy anniversary. Sounds like you are doing well and you found yourself a good one which is a real blessing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:18 pm 

Well done, both of you!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:19 pm 

Congratulations. However, you're still light years away from some of us old codgers. :lol: Keep up the good work! (y)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 pm 

You got that right!

I have been blessed by so many people along the way.

I only hope I can pay it forward with younger guys coming along.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:44 pm 

My lady and I are coming up on our 54th anniversary. Who'd thought! Actually, I'm kinda' surprised that I've lived this long. But it is kinda' nice that the years were invested in a good woman. Blessings on you and your good wife, my friend.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:59 pm 

Well spoken! Congratulations!

Took me 2 tries to get it right, but almost 20 years in we're still going strong.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:03 pm 

Ridgerunner665 wrote:
Well spoken! Congratulations!

Took me 2 tries to get it right, but almost 20 years in we're still going strong.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

It'll only get better, Lynn.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:18 pm 

Congratulations!!!

Weatherby...There is no replacement for displacement and...
I nicknamed it Bee!

My blog.
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:44 pm 

Happy Anniversary, Mark!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:52 am 

Happy Anniversary Mark.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:50 am 

Happy Anniversary and Blessings to you guys.
Duane

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:40 am 

Well Doc, I'm coming up on my 54th also. I also can't believe I made it this far with the same woman. She has put up with a lot. A Police Officer's wife has to put up with a lot and she did this with me for almost 22 years. (Ask the other officers on this forum) She's a great wife and being of Italian extraction I have one of the best Chef's that you could imagine!!!!!!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:18 am 

diverdown wrote:
Well Doc, I'm coming up on my 54th also. I also can't believe I made it this far with the same woman. She has put up with a lot. A Police Officer's wife has to put up with a lot and she did this with me for almost 22 years. (Ask the other officers on this forum) She's a great wife and being of Italian extraction I have one of the best Chef's that you could imagine!!!!!!

A good post, and you are correct that the wife of a LEO will make incredible sacrifice for her marriage. That does stimulate me to make a few observations, if I may be so bold as to put them into electronic format.

There is no such thing as an "easy" marriage. There can be so many pressures that the family is sometimes reduced to a secondary concern. Without thinking about what we are doing, we sacrifice the permanent on the altar of the immediate. The demands of the moment often necessitate focusing on what we are doing to the exclusion of the impact on our wives. This is when our spouse demonstrates that she is more than a mere adjunct to our lives. When we are under pressure, our gracious ladies reveal that they are the source of unseen strength that enables us to persevere and perform the hard tasks. The wise man lets his lady know that he recognizes her as a source of strength and stability enabling him to do what is necessary for the benefit of his family and, yes, even for society. It does cut two ways, and yes, wives will draw upon the commitment and strength of their husbands as surely as we men depend upon the steadying presence of our wives.

I can't speak firsthand of the sacrifices required of the wife of a police officer, but I can speak secondhand of their strength and of what they contribute to the marriage. I've observed this situation through friendships and as pastor to families representative of LEOs. I can't speak firsthand of the wife of a soldier, sailor, airman, or Marine, but I can speak secondhand of the commitment of the wives of such men through sharing in their lives as a pastor and a chaplain. I can speak from firsthand knowledge of the contributions of the wife of a scientist--a man who at times must spend as much as ninety-six hours straight in the laboratory working with pathogens that can kill. I can speak with firsthand knowledge of the contributions of the wife of a pastor as she sees him respond to demands placed on him by the trials of people who are grieving, of people who are broken and in pain, of people who are watching the dissolution of their lives and homes. I would believe that any conscientious man will at times place demands on his wife, not because he wants to burden her, but because he is committed to doing the hard tasks his work demands and because he wants to be the best person his wife and children can know.

I know that the wives of those working in the oil patch, the wives of those who are starting businesses, the wives of those who work with their tools, each have their unique demands; and in the main, these gracious ladies are the secret to success whatever the men may be called to do.

I congratulate Mark and his lady. They didn't arrive at thirty-seven years by merely cruising through life. Their story could no doubt speak of some hard times, just as it could speak of some especially sweet times. Through it all, they were growing strong together. A wise man once wrote, "A man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him--a threefold cord is not quickly broken." A husband and wife are more than the sum of two people; they grow into a strong entity that is more than the strength of the two. Again, congratulations Mark, and congratulations to each of you who are celebrating years together. I can speak with some authority that despite any pressure, it only gets better as you work together.

'Nuff said.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:08 pm 

"thus endeth the message" and I am not being sarcastic at all. After 33 years I can only reiterate what Dr. Mike has said, just not nearly as eloquently. Happy anniversary! CL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:45 pm 

Thank you all, and I too, having known LEO’s personally, the daily pressures are tremendously challenging. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the men and women that serve us all.

Dr Mike. Thank you for reminding me of the wise man and two and three..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:10 am 

Congrats to all!
Susan and I are coming up on our tenth anniversary...
And as the good Dr says, "It ain't no record...but it is a good start!"

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:53 am 

Blkram wrote:
Congrats to all!
Susan and I are coming up on our tenth anniversary...
And as the good Dr says, "It ain't no record...but it is a good start!"

Ten years is great. I remember well what a special woman Susan is. Not every girl takes the ribbing she received as we passed over the creeks and told her what fish had just passed as we sniffed the air. She is a wonderful woman.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:13 am 

first let me congratulate Mark

second is to compliment Dr Mike on a very well written post. I am sure this intelligent and compassionate thinking is two of the reasons he has had a long and successful marriage and career as a minister. Very nicely said Dr Mike

We were looking at 57 before he passed and I would like to say that my husband, Dr Mike, Mark and all men who have enjoyed long marriages, deserve just as much and possibly more credit than the kind words several of you have given us women. Men work hard to provide for their families and women are not always the easiest creatures to live with. I remember my husband sometimes asking what do you want me to do or say. And on reflection, the problem was I didn't know myself, as women are emotional, sometimes to a fault. But he and several of you have weathered those emotional times from us and we thank you for doing so.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:35 pm 

April, you are kind to be so generous to us. We all know, if momma ain’t happy,
Ain’t no one happy!

BTW - Happy American Thanksgiving day next Thursday!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:00 am 

Great thread. Thanks all & congratulations to everyone enjoying a good marriage.

I'm blessed with a wonderful wife. 39 years of marriage so far.

Guy

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS