Wall Hanger- looking for some ideas/ photo?

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
I know of some one who recently came into possession of a "commerative" rifle. The Win. model 94 is heavily engraved and gold and nickel plated. Garish, ugly, unique, totally cool and something that was never meant to be carried in the in the field (at least not by most folks). That said, it is meant to be displayed. It currently resides in a large glass covered shelf that mounts to the wall. Not very attractive....

How do you disply your "wall hanger", or maybe, do you or dont you? Thanks CL

I don't display any firearms anymore. I often have one handgun out of the safe, it will be on me or nearby in the house.

All the hunting rifles, the antiques, etc, are locked in my gunsafe.

Then again I'm probably paranoid about losing them to burglary. Too many years as a cop. :)

Guy

I have mine displayed inside my vault. Very few people actually get inside. Show it at the gun club and then wipe it down and put it away.

JD338

The only thing on display in my house is the custom paint job on the front of my Browning safe. :>)

Thanks guys- Ya, thats the "feeling" I have about he whole thing myself. Perhaps the days of displaying "proudly over the mantle", went out w/ the pick window gun rack. Sad... CL

I do miss the pick up gun rack. I’m sure it was true many places, when I graduated high school in 1974 there would be 50 pickups in the parking lot with loaded gun racks. What the hell happened to us?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CL, if I put one on display, I’d probably remove the firing pin...my grandfathers 12 gauge squirrel gun is about the only thing I’d put out. He used it as a young man to feed his family during the depression, and later for pheasant, And later yet, home defense (Detroit city limits). It’s the family stories that make it worth displaying. The wood is well used, I did have it blued again as it was pretty bare with all it’s been through since sept 1929 when he bought it for $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":mfhgvtpk said:
CL, if I put one on display, I’d probably remove the firing pin...

I don't display; but if I did it would be in an inoperable condition. To mimic Guy Miner's response - I knew a family that lost their guns in a break-in. The police figured it was a family member or close friend as they took every gun that wasn't in a safe along with jewelry and other valuables; with very little mess / evidence of searching. They had a few guns hidden in draws, behind curtains, etc. All it can take is somebody getting into money or an addiction problem and you can go from a good apple to Mr. Hyde.

In terms of display, I've generally liked the period re-enactment sets. I have a friend that has his Mil-Surplus rifles setup with other time appropriate memorabilia. The memorabilia stays our petty much year round, but the rifles go to the range, safe, display as needed / warranted.

When displayed, his rifles generally have their bolts removed and displayed on a table, placed upon two V pieces of wood, or stacked next to a table with the memorabilia on it. It lets you see all angles of the piece and the guns being in-op are their to be engaged with by knowing individuals or as a training tool for those who don't. Him and I aren't big fans of having guns behind glass; you really need to handle the work of art to appreciate its grace, balance, and its full beauty.

Know a ranch family that had their guns on the wall...

Some jerk waited until the whole family was out on the ranch away from the house. They all had things to do.

All the bad guys left behind as evidence was a set of truck tire tracks in the dirt road...

Probably 50+ guns gone, in what was probably only a few minutes in the house. :cry: They lost a lot of family history with those guns. Mostly older lever action rifles, double barrel shotguns and a mess of Colt and S&W revolvers.

Guy

Sadly Guy, that sort of occurrence is fairly common in my neck of "civilization". They even target gunshops - https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 733072001/

Not to go off of on a tangent, but here in MI, drugs, alcohol and other forms of enslavement are honored by a sizeable portion of the population... It doesn't take much enslavement (be it to an addiction, faith to an ideology, event in ones life, etc.) to make men desperate and devastate the lives of others without thought.

Back