household chores vs team tackle

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
I read this, can’t say I am the author.

I’m pretty active with household chores. Mainly selfishly, if I step up and get things done in the house, my wife has more time to be with me, which I like. She doesn’t like when I do thinks she sees as her chores… ie laundry.. but working from hone during COVID, the laundry is always done when she gets home…

I will shorten it up. You’ll follow the message quickly. It’s signed by Hawk, and I don’t know who the Hawk is…

So it begins…

A friend came to my house for coffee, we sat and talked about life. At some point in the conversation, I said, “I’m going to wash the dishes and I’ll be right back.”

He looked at me as if I had told him I was going to build a space rocket. Then he said to me with admiration but a little perplexed: “I’m glad you help your wife, I do not help because when I do, my wife does not praise me. Last week I washed the floor and no thanks.”

I went back to sit with him and explained that I did not “help” my wife. Actually, my wife does not need help, she needs a partner. I am a partner at home and through that society are divided functions, but it is not a “help” to do household chores.

I do not help my wife clean the house because I live here too and I need to clean it too.

I do not help my wife to cook because I also want to eat and I need to cook too.

I do not help my wife wash the dishes after eating because I also use those dishes.

I do not help my wife with her children because they are also my children and my job is to be a father.

I do not help my wife to wash, spread or fold clothes, because the clothes are also mine and my children.

I am not a help at home, I am part of the house. And as for praising, I asked my friend when it was the last time after his wife finished cleaning the house, washing clothes, changing bed sheets, bathing her children, cooking, organizing, etc. You said thank you

But a thank you of the type: Wow, sweetheart !!! You are fantastic!!!

Does that seem absurd to you? Are you looking strange? When you, once in a lifetime, cleaned the floor, you expected in the least, a prize of excellence with great glory … why? You never thought about that, my friend?

Maybe because for you, the macho culture has shown that everything is her job.

Perhaps you have been taught that all this must be done without having to move a finger? Then praise her as you wanted to be praised, in the same way, with the same intensity. Give her a hand, behave like a true companion, not as a guest who only comes to eat, sleep, bathe and satisfy needs … Feel at home. In his house.

The real change of our society begins in our homes, let us teach our sons and daughters the real sense of fellowship! “
---Hawk---

I liked Hawk’s point about being your spouses partner. Sharing the load. Granted, there are reasons for some chores that require more brute and brawn.. I’d never ask her to work on the car/truck, but if she had an interest in it… we’d share… my wife is a pipe fitter so she can handle anything I can. She took that job so she could be home when the kids got out of school. I love she made that sacrifice. She’s not a morning person, completely an act of love for my children. Kids are out of school now, but she leaves for work daily at 4:15am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought-provoking, and worthy of consideration. I enjoy cooking, and my lady enjoys the results of the cooking. Can't say that I enjoy all the household chores, but I do live here. My lady isn't enthusiastic about my laundry work because she has her own way of folding clothes, but I can take responsibility for other needs around the house. Thanks for posting.

Well
My dad died when I was 9 and my mom did all she could to keep up with everything.

One day not many years later, I didn't have cloths in the wardrobe.
So I thought a washing machine couldn't be rocket science. You know what? Neither was the hot iron, nor the dishwasher.

Many years later, when my own kids were there, I was REALLY able to appreciate what she'd done.
And I don't see a reason to show my spouse less respect than I have for my mom.

My spouse works full time, too.
Yes, my income is higher. But does that make my free time more valuable?
If we split chores, we have more time together.

Btw: she has a hunting license and doesn't shy away from getting dirty. I bought her a bow recently.
She is just half an inch shorter and with her wearing heels I have to tilt up my head.
Still she gives me the jars with twist off lids, so my ego is pleased :-D
Well. Seems I Iack that Macho-Gene...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

You guys get it. I do the same thing here as well. All I can say is "Life is Good"!

JD338

Back