All new members enter here.

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I thought I would make this a sticky for all new members. Take some time post here and tell us a little about yourself.

Welcome and enjoy!

Hi all, name is Brian. Love this site, it stands for everything that is me. From all I have read and seen here it looks like I should fit right in. Hunting is my passion right after my kids of course. Glad to be here and thanks to everyone.

Hi, my name is Scotty. I'm addicted to all things hunting and rifle related!

Welcome to the forum. This is a great place with some of the best guys in the sport. Learned more here in 6 years than all my other time combined.

Brian,

Welcome to the forum. It is a great place to hang out. There are some great people here.

Brian,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

JD338

Hi Brian,
I'm Dewey and pretty new also.
Same addictions as Scotty. :lol:

Brian,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

Fotis

Good afternoon!

Funny thing, I just posted in the reloading forum this past week and I didn't realize that it was my first post on this forum. I have been a "lurker" for a long time I suppose. I have gleaned a lot of information over the past several months and didn't realize I hadn't offered anything to the conversation. If there is any way I can offer something, I would be happy to.

I am an avid shooter/Big Game hunter. Each year I chase elk and mule deer in Utah and someday hope to hunt in bordering states as well. I have built a total of 13 bonus points for Limited Entry elk in the state of Utah and each year I hope "This is my year". In the past 5 years I picked up archery and this has quickly become a very fun way for our family to spend time together. My sweetheart and I have been married for 19 years and we have 4 awesome kids. All four shoot archery, although the youngest (7 year old daughter) is intimidated and doesn't feel comfortable with it yet. My wife and I shoot in a couples 3-D archery league each winter. She has NO desire to hunt, but really enjoys the 3D archery stuff and supports (although at times reluctantly) my desire to shoot and hunt.

I shoot a new to me Kimber 8400 Montana in 325 WSM, a semi custom Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag, and a semi custom Model 70 in 7mm-08. I also have hunted a lot with my Knight Muzzleloader and have built a Hawken from a Cabelas Kit. Just a week ago I picked up a Browning Abolt II Hunter in 7mm-08 for my son. He doesn't know yet as it is a gift for him earning his Eagle Scout award. He should finish up late this spring. I am as excited for him to see and shoot this gun as he will be.

I have been handloading for a bit over 15 years and find great enjoyment in harvesting animals with loads I have rolled myself. Just this past week, I finally ordered my first Chronograph and look forward, even with a bit of hesitation, to find out how fast or slow my loads are actually going.

Thank you for the welcome and I look forward to participating and continuing my education. I hope that I can offer some, however small, help to the rest of you. I recognize that I will probably just learn a whole lot more than I teach, but that is life in general.

FH

Fire Hawk,

It is good to have you aboard, as stated earlier. You have a pretty good line-up of cartridges. I love my 325WSM for elk and moose; and it punches bear right smartly as well. It sounds as if your family is squared away. Archery is a great past time for families. I'm certain your daughter will come to enjoy it; and if she doesn't, it's not the end of the world. My daughters always enjoyed going with me when I was fishing for steelhead, but they don't pursue them now that they are grown. It is still pretty neat to have daughters. You will undoubtedly appreciate your chronograph. Which model chronograph are you getting?

Thank you Dr. Mike! I bought the ProChrony Digital upon the recommendation of MANY others. Almost unanimously they encouraged me to go this route over going with one of the Shooting Chrony models etc.

As for my daughter, she absolutely loves to be with me so I will just be patient on the archery thing. She really enjoys fishing with me and just yesterday she tried to teach a buddy's daughter how to "kiss" the first fish of the ice fishing trip. Buddy's daughter didn't go for it, but my daughter didn't hesitate to show her it was okay to kiss those yellow perch when they were caught. :grin:

My oldest daughter (twin of my son who is just about to earn his Eagle scout award) has the very best archery form I have ever seen. She looks like a natural and really does have the patience to shoot well. I am excited to she where she goes with it. She doesn't show any interest in hunting either, but she LOVES fishing. She is usually the one with the hot hand too.

The three oldest kids (14,14,11) have all successfully passed hunter's safety and my 14 and 11 year old son each hold current hunting licenses. Oldest didnt' fill either his buck deer or cow elk tag this year, but he did great and enjoyed spending time together in the mountains. My eleven year old did a terrific job in marsh this fall and harvested his first game animal. A nice pintail duck that tasted great.

Won't be long and both my boys will be toting rifles for deer and elk each fall. Can't wait to form those memories and enjoy the time in the hills together.

FH

I'm fairly new here myself. Just an Old Cowboy, trying to understand how to make it more precision. There is a bunch of good men on this site. I like the Jarhead company. Surprised how many are around.

I hang Iron and build Sawmills for a living. Been married most of my adult life. One of the best decisions I have made. Another was not waiting to be drafted.

Never worked for a man I did not like. Always lived where I wanted to. Never took anything I didn't earn.
Oh, and I like Winchesters, a lot.

FH

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

JD338

Welcome aboard Firehawk, sounds like one awesome family! Congrats to your boy on his Upcoming Eagle Scout accomplishment! You'll enjoy it here, alot of great people here.

TT, again, welcome aboard to you as well. Its funny you mention sawmills. I joined the Marine Corps in order to get away from my fathers sawmills and logging. After 17 years of the Marine Corps, I miss the woods more every year.

I would like to welcome everyone I have missed so far. If you need any help you're a PM away.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction FOTIS!

I've been lurking around here for months while I awaited activation. I was searching the web and found Dr. Mikes thread on the .256 Newton. I like Newton rifles, did you find one Dr. Mike?

I live in the Green Mountain State with my wife and 3 daughters. My wife dosen't hunt, but she has a Browning Buck Mark that I bought her that she likes to shoot. My girls, ages, 13, 15 and 17 all like to hunt. I grew up more of a waterfowl hunter, but they like hunting deer and turkeys better, so that's what I do now. The girls have all killed deer and 2 years ago the older 2 were drawn in the VT moose lottery and each killed moose. They each have .243's and when the older 2 got their moose permits, I bought them each a 7mm-08, they shot their moose with Nosler ammo loaded with 140 grain Accubonds.

I recently took up hand loading to load ammo for a .256 Newton and a .30 Newton, I bought the .256, the .30 has been in my family since my Great-Grandfather bought it. I also have another .256 barrel in my safe, I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it, but I keep looking around for a Newton that's been re-barreled or re-chambered to put it on. If I get tired of waiting, I might put it on a Springfield action.

Again, welcome aboard. No, I haven't found a Newton, yet. I focused on my 280 Ross (which is begging for attention come spring) this year. However, were I to find a Newton in an appropriate chambering, I would own it. That wounds great that your daughters each had the opportunity to tag a moose. The 7mm-08 is certainly a great cartridge in the right hands. One of my former hunting partners (having since removed himself to a province east of me) tagged out on quite a few moose and mule deer with a 7mm-08. I don't recall many moving very far after they were shot. If you get a chance, give us a picture of their moose. I'm certain there are quite a few that will appreciate the game pictures. I know I'd love to see a few pictures of your Newton rifles. That could get my blood pumping pretty good.

Welcome aboard, again RB.. Great story's about your daughters tagging Moose! VT is a great state. I have family up there and growing up in Upstate NY, I spent a little bit of time in VT.

Good luck with the Newton. I love their cartridges alot and have a set of 35 Newton dies that have been toying with me lately. Thinking I might need to get a barrel on order and see what Mr. Newton really had going on all those years ago..

Mike is right, pictures of your Newton's and moose would be excellent. Glad to have you aboard. You'll enjoy it around here.

Back