RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
I just found out that Marvelous Marvin Hagler passed away just recently. He was 66 years old.

Marvin Hagler was one of my all time favorites fighters. He was incredible and the discipline that he had was amazing. I never ever saw him come into a fight out of shape or overweight, which seems to not be the case for some of todays fighters. Not all fighters today certainly, but Marvin was always prepared for his fights, always! There was no quite in him either. Marvin was extremely talented and gifted but he remained true to the person that he was. He was humble and gracious.

One day I found out that Marvin Hagler had been in town with his wife and stayed at a KOA campground very near to where I lived. Marvin was still fighting at the time and I can't recall the exact year. I would have loved to gotten to meet him in person. I never fought professionally but I did fight as an amateur for 12 years, and I was also training and fighting at the same time that Marvin was in town. I would have loved it if I could have talked him into going out with me to where we trained and get the chance to spar with him for a few rounds. Just to share the same ring with Marvin Hagler would have been an amazing experience.

RIP Marvin Hagler

Indeed, that would have been pretty special.

Sorry to learn that he passed, and at only 66 years of age. Dang.

Guy

6mm Remington":xrgqpztj said:
I just found out that Marvelous Marvin Hagler passed away just recently. He was 66 years old.

Marvin Hagler was one of my all time favorites fighters. He was incredible and the discipline that he had was amazing. I never ever saw him come into a fight out of shape or overweight, which seems to not be the case for some of todays fighters. Not all fighters today certainly, but Marvin was always prepared for his fights, always! There was no quite in him either. Marvin was extremely talented and gifted but he remained true to the person that he was. He was humble and gracious.

One day I found out that Marvin Hagler had been in town with his wife and stayed at a KOA campground very near to where I lived. Marvin was still fighting at the time and I can't recall the exact year. I would have loved to gotten to meet him in person. I never fought professionally but I did fight as an amateur for 12 years, and I was also training and fighting at the same time that Marvin was in town. I would have loved it if I could have talked him into going out with me to where we trained and get the chance to spar with him for a few rounds. Just to share the same ring with Marvin Hagler would have been an amazing experience.

RIP Marvin Hagler
Much respect 6mm. Boxing is the only sport that is more physically demanding than wrestling. I am amazed at the shape one has to be in to box. I’d never have made it.

I'm also saddened to see that he has passed.
When I saw him fight Tommy Hearns, the first few rounds were nothing but a flurry of punches. No one knew who was going to win, until Hagler's training, and mental discipline took over. Since then, I had respect for him as a boxer.
Hagler was always calm and cool in the ring, and always a professional.
I don't believe I ever saw him do a low blow on purpose.
What he did in the ring, he also did outside of it.
He was as gracious as a man could be.
Sorry to see you go at such an early age, Marvelous Marvin!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Back