what credit card ?

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
what credit card co are you guys using ? are you getting the runaround with it ? I never had a problem until lately . is the new president causing problems for gun stuff purchases ? it's starting to look like operation choke point again . I'd like to get a gun friendly credit card .

I have a Cabelas club master card , issued by capital one . a month or so ago I made a purchase from Graff and son , maybe a week later I needed some items from rockauto , my card was denied . I called capital one they questioned my purchase from Graffs . I told them I did buy from them , my card was activated again for my rockauto purchase . the card has worked fine until today . this past Saturday I made a purchase from shooters pro shop and midway . today I'm buying from rockauto , my card is denied . make a phone call to capital one , they question my purchase from shooters pro shop , and turn my card on so I can buy from rockauto . I asked the guy if capital one is anti gun , he said not that he is aware of . he said they do have a policy against online gambling . I just did a quick google on capital one anti gun , and yes it looks like they are .

Interesting. I use a pay pal debit card that's tied to my checking account. This gives me a layer of protection from my checking account plus a cash back incentive.
I haven't had any issues like you have described.

JD338

JD , I have a bank card that is tied to my checking . I'm hesitant to use it daily from fear of being hacked . maybe I need to look into something like you're doing . get that extra protection layer in between .

Fotis , thanks I'll look into that .

Duane , I'm done with this card . as soon as I find a suitable replacement , it's closed . I've had the Cabelas card since GM took the government bail out . I dropped GM over the bail out . I traded my cars and closed my credit card account .

I don't own a single credit card. Not one! I do have my bank debit card which works like a check purchase only the amount you use is either that very day or the next one taken out of your checking account. These folks help protect you too. A few years back somehow someone got into my wife's car. She was at a gym working out. It was about 10:00 AM. The took her bank debit card and her credit card she uses for her private practice. The person left her purse in the car. I think it was on the floor in the back seat behind the driver. A couple hours later when she's done and she goes to the store she goes for her debit card and it's not there. The suspect had put some other business card or what have you in the slots in her wallet to hold her important cards so that it might delay the theft even just a little. She looks on her phone then and the bank had called her asking about purchases. way before she discovered it. In just over 2 hours this female went to many different stores here where we live and used the card. Out of all the purchases only two places asked to see ID when she made the purchase. One of the places the lady asked and was shown something but she admitted she never even looked at the ID. One other place looked but did not see if the name matched the car which it didn't but he did remember that the ID was from some other country! This woman bought computers, lap-tops, $100.00 gift cards (6) at a time in a couple locations. Jewelry and other items were also purchased. $15,000.00 was the tally in just over two hours. The suspect also purchased the extended warranty on her tablets and lap-tops. So there had to be some personal information put down on the extended warranty but it appears no comparison was made to the name on the card.
The bank suspected something right away as it didn't fit her spending habits and buying multiple $100.00 gift cards at one spot. Purchasing a couple tablets and lap-top at one time is a bit suspicious also. Our bank was pissed at these businesses. I can't recall the exact number but I think it was 7 different locations or more. I thought it was wonderful that the bank refused to pay these locations as they were blatantly neglect in taking care of their customers. As the woman banker I was dealing with stated, we the bank should not have to pay for their ignorance and lack of accountability and neither should you.

Fun fact one computer place where multiple purchases were made and the clerk was shown an out of country ID, he remembered that, not what country but that at least. The suspect had also purchased 6 - $100.00 gift cards. I went to the business and talked to a manager and told him to immediately suspend those gift cards. I was told they could not. So this stolen cards were used to make thousands of dollars in purchases and we are the victim as well as your business and you refuse to stop these gift cards when I tell you to do so. I demanded they do it and again I was told no they could not. What kind of horse-shit is that! It's likely they had already used those cash cards to make purchases elsewhere as this person knew what they were doing.

It's not always that the banks have an agenda like jimbires experienced and they truly are looking out for their customers. Others have noted the same. Keep those places close. Sorry I went off road just a bit, but it is part of the credit card/bank card experience.
David

I bought a receiver that needed FFL.
The Apple credit card worked no problem.

I recently picked up an Apple Card. I also have Cabelas. Apple gives daily cash back vs points. (2% when you use your phone to pay, 1% when you use the physical card.

Very annoying to have thousands of points with a closed business.

Thanks for the heads up Jim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David , I never thought but, my local bank has worked with Denise when her bank card got hacked . the bank froze her card until they got to talk with her . the bank made contact with her by cell phone , house phone , and a couple days later a letter in the mail . the bank didn't wait like capital one is with me . she was hacked 2 weekends in a row . a new card was issued both times . the bank says there must be a skimmer , or scanner , on the gas pump she was using . she would buy gas and then the fraud started . I'll have to make a few changes , but this would be workable for me . I'm used to buying everything then paying my monthly bill .

MJC , thanks for speaking up , I'm open to ideas . things are going to change .

Great post, we travel around a lot, and probably are skimmed at once a year. My wife who is a retired banker, usually has a new card mailed to us and all issues settled within a few hours. She is a pro...
I have several cards (to many) that all give money or credits back to us.

jimbires":kkn9vjuc said:
what credit card co are you guys using ? are you getting the runaround with it ? I never had a problem until lately . is the new president causing problems for gun stuff purchases ? it's starting to look like operation choke point again . I'd like to get a gun friendly credit card .

I have a Cabelas club master card , issued by capital one . a month or so ago I made a purchase from Graff and son , maybe a week later I needed some items from rockauto , my card was denied . I called capital one they questioned my purchase from Graffs . I told them I did buy from them , my card was activated again for my rockauto purchase . the card has worked fine until today . this past Saturday I made a purchase from shooters pro shop and midway . today I'm buying from rockauto , my card is denied . make a phone call to capital one , they question my purchase from shooters pro shop , and turn my card on so I can buy from rockauto . I asked the guy if capital one is anti gun , he said not that he is aware of . he said they do have a policy against online gambling . I just did a quick google on capital one anti gun , and yes it looks like they are .
The first time I ordered from Rock Auto my card was denied. Called got it approved and no problem the next time I ordered from them. Same card as yours. Dan.

I've only had a card refused once, I bought an expensive rifle from a dealer out of state whose primary business was a gas station/store. They blocked the charge because of the amount and it was far from my home address. It was Capital One.

wvbuckbuster":1w50uj9c said:
jimbires":1w50uj9c said:

The first time I ordered from Rock Auto my card was denied. Called got it approved and no problem the next time I ordered from them. Same card as yours. Dan.

a few days ago I got a thank you Email from rockauto for being a 6 year customer . I never had a problem until this year . I've bought from rockauto 4 times between these two times my card was declined , not a problem . the only time I have a problem is after I buy gun stuff .

I blew off the first time my card was declined . I bought from about $125 from Graffs maybe 3 weeks before I got an email saying my order was processed and ready to ship .they had a notic on their web site about being backed up . then my card was declined for a rockauto purchase of about $500 . I called capital one they were questioning the Graffs purchase from a day or two ago . I thought they noticed an order date being way different than a billing date , so I was ok with that . I thought capital one just doing it's job . now the second time is BS . I had an Email , my shooters pro shop order was processed . about 2 days later my card was declined at rockauto . the call with capital one went like this . are you making a rockauto purchase for $165 ? yes . did you make a $1 purchase at Exxon ? no . ok that's fraud , I'll take that off . did you make a $43.50 purchase at Exxon ? yes . did you make a shooters pro shop purchase for $215 ? yes . are you sure you made a purchase at shooters pro shop for $215 ? yes I think I was asked one more time , then ok your card should work at rockauto I'll wait to be sure . I hit the submit order and my purchase was approved . I bought from midway the day before SPS , never asked about that purchase , stopped asking at SPS . I bought $500 of state inspection stickers today , no problem .it sure looks like gun stuff to me . my CC is used a lot . some months a couple hundred bucks , other months $10000 or $12000 , it just depends on my work , and how I have to buy things . I've never had my card declined until these two rockauto purchases , shortly after a gun stuff purchase . I carry a zero CC balance , I've never paid a penny CC interest . I've never made a late payment ,and I've never wrote a bad check , in my life . this makes me feel like a scumbag .

You’re not a scumbag. [emoji3]

You’re being judged by a open minded tolerant bank that just desires unity.
(As long as you agree with them)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks you guys . I guess I'm just trying to warn you guys we might be in for a rough 4 years . I doubt I'm the only guy going through this .

from what I've been able to read it looks like Wells Fargo was the only bank that did not get involved in the operation choke point . they loaned ruger $40 million .

I have the settings on my Cabela's card such that it texts me immediately if there is an issue. I've had it text me to approve a purchase, and then it will allow it to go through immediately.

You might want to look at your settings for the account. I do find that the Cabela's card is more sensitive to purchases that other cards. Then again, its the only one of mine to get hacked repeatedly.

I won a bid on Gun Broker a couple days ago and went to pay for it with my Pay Pal debit card. For some reason it wasn't recognized. I then used my credit union debit card and had no issues. We went out to eat last night and I used the same bank debit card to see if there might be a problem but it worked fine.
I do prefer to use the Pay Pal debit card because there is no money in that account. I've got a dollar limit on it so it's added protection.

JD338

Back