Gulf of Mexico fishing

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Spent a couple days in Florida.

Fishing was fine. Monday’s 10 mile offshore catch. Too much wind to repeat on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Spent those days casting from a tandem kayak. Wife and I still like each other after two days fishing from the same Kayak. Must be love still after 38 years of being married to my best friend.

Sun strong. Evidence of sun and fish attached.

No primers, powder or bullets to be found in Charlotte county.

20e83b18653593e5f464c20f34ca2af2.jpg

64a589fd88928a1ab2eebccb29f8a28e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s awesome. A buddy and I are participating in a private charter out of San Diego for tuna in September. Can’t wait. Until then...this was day before yesterday in my backyard:

06be666e4d978fcbfd542b6292f3bc89.jpeg

I have yet to fish Florida, what’s in the ice chest? Glad your wife still likes you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Long skinny one is a Spanish mackerel(3), the colorful one is a Lane Snapper(4), the darker ones are Grunts(33) and sand perch(39) and Porgie(1) which must be under the grunts. All good eating. We were told the Mackeral would be fishy, but it was not.

Caught but not kept, puffers, sea robins, lizard fish, blue runners, gag groupers, and red groupers.(out of season and under sized.)

I had a quiet chuckle to my self. I filet Canadian walleye with an electric knife and can do a fish in about 50 seconds...

For three trips.. my FIL would complain I’m wasting meat..
Well, he tried his best and my fillets were just as meaty as his and done much faster(and nicer looking...I rip the gills before cleaning...drains a lot of blood.

Guess who was filleting Canadian style? Yep.. FIL. [emoji1]
Still took quite a while with 80 fish.

Limit is 100# each, mixed reef species..

gbflyer":3sxyvsft said:
That’s awesome. A buddy and I are participating in a private charter out of San Diego for tuna in September. Can’t wait. Until then...this was day before yesterday in my backyard:

06be666e4d978fcbfd542b6292f3bc89.jpeg

Nice king, great picture!

wow! on both counts! I could get interested in fishing, spending a while getting some of those to the boat, and at the moment I'm looking forward to a little sun burn too! CL

Figured it was time to update this one. Got back to San Diego yesterday, leaving to go back to Alaska today. “Epic” is a word that gets overused today, but my vocabulary isn’t advanced enough to use another word. 20 anglers, around 105 bluefin tuna, many over 100#, at least 10 over 200#. This picture is half of one fish hold. I’ve never seen a fish with such a will to live. These sumbitches shouldn’t be taken on with rod and reel, they should be hunted with dogs.

c3fe1d50c5130857ac7367ca688360b1.jpg

The long, slender one is a Spanish mackerel, the brightly colored one is a Lane Snapper, and the darker ones are Grunts and sand perch (plus Porgie, who must be hiding under the grunts). Everything was delicious to eat. The Mackeral was supposed to be fishy, but it wasn't. Puffers, sea robins, lizard fish, blue runners, gag groupers, and red groupers were caught but not kept. I chuckled quietly to myself. With an electric knife, I can filet a Canadian walleye in approximately 10 seconds. closed face reel

Last edited:
It appears a good time was had by all.
It’s on my bucket list to go fish in Alaska one day.

Back