User warning ( Graphic pictures )

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I bought and received a new Dewalt pole hedge trimmer today.
Unaware that the edge of the cutter bar sticks out past cutter guard I slide the safety scabbard off the bar holding it on the back end of the cover. I ended up cutting my hand bad enough to require stitches.
All the hedge trimmers I have ever used the cutter bar blades are shorter the the cutter guards but not on the Dewalt. They stick out far enough to cut you long and deep.
My hand required thirteen stitches to sew the cut shut.
I just missed the artery and tendons in my hand and could have been worse.

So if you think you need one of these to trim bushes you can't reach with a regular trimer beware of the cutter blades protruding past the guard.

Attachments

• KIMG0720.jpeg
    KIMG0720.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 1,553
  • KIMG0722.jpeg
    KIMG0722.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 1,553
  • KIMG0723.jpeg
    KIMG0723.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 1,553
TD,
Sorry to hear of y mishap. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

JD338

Looks like your doctor stitched it up nicely. Thanks for waiting til it was stitched for the pictures.

I noticed that’s your right hand. Good time to practice left handed shooting!

Wishing you a speedy recover Roger!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rodger, sorry to learn of your injury.. I hope that your recovery will be quick and complete so you can get back to the things that are important and you enjoy. Rol

Thanks everyone for the concern and get well wishes.
Could have been bad or worse is right and is bad enough as it is just thankful it missed tendons and the artery that is very close by. A cut artery would have more then likely been fatal, cut tendons would have been crippling and using a fly rod would have been a thing of the past.

Learning to shoot left handed is something I already know how to do just not as good as I am right handed. Right now the hand won't take the recoil either way. Heck I can't even shoot my air rifles since it takes two good hands to cock them.

Be nice to your wife... maybe she’ll cock the air rifles [emoji1]

mjcmichigan":31h6rk5k said:
Be nice to your wife... maybe she’ll cock the air rifles [emoji1]

HA!HA!HA! that's a good one. To be honest I doubt if she can cock them since they are considered magnum springers and take about 45# of effort to cock and I'm afraid she might hurt her self if her hand slipped off the cocking arm before the piston latched and it wouldn't do the rifle any good either.

After further inspection of the trimmer it appears that the front cutter bar was fully exposed rather then partially and I could have done worse damage then I did.

Dewalt has been contacted and waiting for a response.

FOTIS":1q29i6fx said:
Grt better
going to try Buddy.
DrMike":1q29i6fx said:
We're all pulling for you to heal quickly and completely, Rodger.
Thanks DrMike I'm hoping it does but this my first major injury since finding out I am diabetic so it will be interesting to see how it goes. In the past I always healed quick so maybe I still will. Surprisingly I got it to stop bleeding fairly quickly since I'm also on blood thinners. I keep a clotting agent on hand but totally forgot to use it since I got a little unsettled when it happened and I'm usually pretty calm and level headed when under stress but was afraid I had got an artery and cut tendons but lucked out and didn't .

Roger, I have a bleeding disorder. Anytime I’m in the field and will possibly be gutting or carving it up to pack out... people look at me funny for wearing cut proof gloves...Fly in camps is another place I take cut proof gloves...

I’d recommend the same to anyone on blood thinners. Better to not get cut, than count on an anticoagulant. I’d also point out in scenarios I mentioned, your likely to have to continue cutting up the game and likely to open the wound up again. Prevention trumps cure.

Eat lots of veggies and stay away from sugars. I’d expect you’d heal at your normal rate. Diabetes type II is a gradually acquire disease. You were on the way to it years before the diagnosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get well soon. A real blessing there wasn’t any damage to your tendons and artery.
Duane

Bummer of a injury but glad it wasn't any worse. Give yourself time to heal and hope it will soon. Dan.

mjcmichigan":1abe8mk7 said:
Roger, I have a bleeding disorder. Anytime I’m in the field and will possibly be gutting or carving it up to pack out... people look at me funny for wearing cut proof gloves...Fly in camps is another place I take cut proof gloves...

I’d recommend the same to anyone on blood thinners. Better to not get cut, than count on an anticoagulant. I’d also point out in scenarios I mentioned, your likely to have to continue cutting up the game and likely to open the wound up again. Prevention trumps cure.

Eat lots of veggies and stay away from sugars. I’d expect you’d heal at your normal rate. Diabetes type II is a gradually acquire disease. You were on the way to it years before the diagnosis.

I have considered the steel mesh gloves but haven't bought any yet.
The anticoagulant wouldn't have done me any good if i had cut the artery in my wrist since I would have had to pinch it off to keep from bleeding out. :roll:

mjcmichigan":2d9jk9if said:

I have considered the steel mesh gloves but haven't bought any yet.
The anticoagulant wouldn't have done me any good if i had cut the artery in my wrist since I would have had to pinch it off to keep from bleeding out. :roll:

The stitches came out today and looks pretty good and the Doctor is happy the way it healed.

Attachments

• KIMG0733.jpeg
    KIMG0733.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 1,310
Back