A box of old books

Mmann

Beginner
Dec 29, 2020
I don’t know if anyone else finds this as interesting as I do, but my dad got a box of old reloading and firearms books. All of them are from the early 60’s I think. I figured if anything maybe somebody would get a kick out of seeing the time capsule I’m gonna engross myself in this weekend
da7d069789fefab25401eed0967896cd.jpg

d8064d28c89a462440f5aaff1346f4e6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't even planned for a decade back then.
Cool find and I would love to browse through them.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Actually, I’ve bought some online in second book stores. Often under $10 delivered.

Very cool. Elmer Keith and Col. Townsend Whelen were ahead of their time and created the foundation of what we know as the modern firearm.
A valuable resource.

JD338

That is a phenomenal find, ensuring numerous pleasant evenings with an open book in your hands. Keith and Whelen should be gems for reading.

I gravitate towards those things myself, being a somewhat sentimental person. It’s fun to step back to a more civilized era every now and again. Enjoy!

It’s been pretty awesome for sure! There’s something cool about actual books, being able to flip pages that are twenty years older than me and with care can be around long after me. Ha, and it kinda rekindled trying to figure out my dads .219 zipper after finding whole chapters on it.

The 219 Zipper is a vintage round.
You will have to bring it over!

JD338

JD338":2tuhf297 said:
The 219 Zipper is a vintage round.
You will have to bring it over!

JD338
Absolutely! One of these weekends I’ll grab it when we swing through. I’m trying to find an extractor for it.

I've got some old gun books, including one I see in the top photo: "Practical Dope on the 22" - and I also have the companion book "Practical Dope on the Big Bores"

"Big Bore" meaning the normal centerfire rifle cartridges, not big bore as in heavy African dangerous game rifles.

The old books are interesting. Looks like you made quite a haul.

Guy

I have some where between 50% and 75% of the books the OP showed. I have quite a few others as well, most in the form of reprints. One book I've always felt should should be read before anyone took up reloading ammo is Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition" by Earl Naramore. It's a particularly heavy tome at 952 pages including the index. A goodly part covers how the commercial companies load ammo at least up to the end of WW2. It even goes into when the change from drilled flash hole to punched one came about and why. Think WW2 and the need to speed up ammo manufacture.

Private reloading is covered in the last 1/3 of the book and while a bit outdated considering what we have today still makes for some interesting reading.

Paul B.

That's a treasure trove! Officially jealous here. Great storehouse of knowledge right there.

PJGunner":8ha2uyro said:
I have some where between 50% and 75% of the books the OP showed. I have quite a few others as well, most in the form of reprints. One book I've always felt should should be read before anyone took up reloading ammo is Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition" by Earl Naramore. It's a particularly heavy tome at 952 pages including the index. A goodly part covers how the commercial companies load ammo at least up to the end of WW2. It even goes into when the change from drilled flash hole to punched one came about and why. Think WW2 and the need to speed up ammo manufacture.

Private reloading is covered in the last 1/3 of the book and while a bit outdated considering what we have today still makes for some interesting reading.

Paul B.
I just went looking for the book by Earl Naramore, holy cow! Currently one of the only copies I could find was on Amazon for 400 dollars. Maybe by the time I work my way through these I can find one elsewhere. Haha.

Back