Insight..

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
I have typed this out a couple different times in different ways and never thought I fit the topic post I was in so came here.
As parents we always think we know what is best and often don't see what our kids are seeing. I have 2 beautiful teenage daughters that love the outdoors and spending time in them. The oldest a couple years ago told me she didn't want to hunt/shoot animals anymore. She is still fine going hunting with me and will even cross through a drainage that I wouldn't think of unless I was 20 years younger. She is also my lefty which brings in a whole new set of issues. I have always in the back of my mind wanted to build her a proper hunting rifle. Fast forward to today and a simple text about ' what are you doing ' and a response as " thinking about building you a gun" for a response "cool" and nothing else for hours later until the wife brings up how super excited the girl is that you are building her a gun, and why cant this happen when I am home to deal with it.....

I ask a few questions and find out that yes all she wants to do is shoot targets for now, it changes the thought of me having to build her a hunting rifle quite a bit.

She has also taken an interest in the 22-1911 we have and has been shooting it very well, with the thought that she said if she were to go towards the FBI route she wanted to be comfortable.
I will be honest I have no military or law enforcement background but if that is the path she decides to take I would be such a proud papa!
It is funny how you never know where they will turn out you just hope for the best.

Im not going to pretend I am the only father on here with kids. I am just happy that each one of them can follow their own way and make the world a better place. There will be ups and downs the same as when we were young and growing up but I am sure they will make their way though.

This post brings back some pleasant memories. My youngest daughter was my constant companion during her pre-teen and early teen years. She became an expert at catching the salmon in local streams in the Lower Mainland. She was better than most of the men I ever fished with. For her sixteenth birthday, she said she wanted me to take her fishing. So, off we went. We had one of the best weekends imaginable on a major salmon stream. We were on our way home when she casually announced, "Well, I won't be able to do this again."

"What?" I needed clarification since I wasn't certain what she meant.

"Dad, I'm a lady now. I can't be getting dirty like this." Man, I was heartbroken. She asked if I would buy all her gear (which I had gifted her in any case). When I protested that she might change her mind, her response was, "Oh, I know my daddy; he'll let me borrow anything I want." The little rotter! And she never went fishing with me again.

She is a surgeon and lives in a state in the northern tier of the continental US. Recently, she asked if I would assist her in selecting a handgun for personal carry. Each time she visited us, she would ask to go to the range. In particular, she wanted to shoot handguns. She completed the course for concealed carry in her state and recently found the carry gun she wanted. Her mother and I had told her that we would purchase a handgun for her if she consulted with some friends who are knowledgeable about these matters. Guess she didn't turn out all that bad after all.

Yeap! What can ya say. aside from, you have to be proud they know how to find their own way and back home.

Slimmfinn? Does she have interest in reloading or precision shooting?

Dr Mike, fortunately ladies a can be mommies of little boys.. and getting dirty comes with the territory...a surgeon..wow!

Congratulations to you both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":1inov6gt said:
Dr Mike, fortunately ladies a can be mommies of little boys.. and getting dirty comes with the territory...a surgeon..wow!

Oh, yeah, my eldest is director of a problem pregnancy centre, and the mother of six, including three boys. One of those boys has been a constant companion on numerous hunting expeditions for some years.

Slimfin : you love each other], you spend time with each other, you respect each others feelings and preferences

she is lucky to have you

Dr Mike : Will he be able to hunt with you this year because of the virus ? I hope so. Are you going to get the shots or have you already had them ? Everybody who is going to get them, will have them by the first of May in The Territories

Thankful Otter":1sfjv2fw said:
Dr Mike : Will he be able to hunt with you this year because of the virus ? I hope so. Are you going to get the shots or have you already had them ? Everybody who is going to get them, will have them by the first of May in The Territories

Uncertain who I'll hunt with. However, the virus has not prevented us hunting in the province (so far). Can't imagine that will be a problem.

The rollout of the Astra Zeneca shots has been a hot mess here in BC. We'll just have to wait and see whether any of the "vaccines" are made available here in our area. I would prefer some other options in light of my limited insight. Actually, this far north, we've not had that much trouble with the virus. The primary problems have been among those with poor living conditions and/or chronic health concerns. This has been an especial problem on a couple of nearby reserves. Other reserves appear to be unaffected. Our hospital certainly has not been hit.

Sounds like a fun project Slim! I have boys not girls. I build my youngest (14) a really nice $$$$ custom 6.5. He prefers the Rossi 92 lever action that’s in the safe.[emoji849]. He shot his first big game animal this year. It was his choice, not pressured. It was hard on him. I’m not sure where we go with it from here, time will tell. The older one is 26 and likes fishing.

DrMike":3ik63ru3 said:
mjcmichigan":3ik63ru3 said:

Oh, yeah, my eldest is director of a problem pregnancy centre, and the mother of six, including three boys. One of those boys has been a constant companion on numerous hunting expeditions for some years.
Your eldest is a saint! Mother of six and helping challenging social situations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back