Grandson's first range trip

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
yesterday I took Carter to the range with his 260 . this was his first trip to the range , also his first time shooting a centerfire rifle . we've shot his 22 in my field using a bog pod , death grip tripod . I took the bog pod for him to shoot off of . I started him off at 50 yards , this was not much challenge . I put up another target at 75 yards . it still seemed pretty easy for him . I put up a third target at 100 yards and let him shoot . I think he did well , and seems to enjoy shooting .he's already talking about going back . he missed his target one shot at 100 yards . he didn't squeeze the trigger , he gave it a jerk . I told him he missed as soon as he shot . we had to tease him . it was a great outing .

P7220171.JPG

P7220167.JPG

Carter is doing a great job with his marksmanship. Nicely done Jim. Way to go Carter!!!
What load are you using?

JD338

It does appear as if Carter has had some excellent instruction. Congratulations to him and to you for a job well done.

thanks Fellas . He's still talking about shooting , must have enjoyed it . I had him dry fire the rifle 4 or 5 times before shooting it . the 50 yard target was his first three shots from this rifle . I found a clay bird , that I stood up , for him to shoot too .

JD , I'm loading a very reduced load for him to get started with . if I remember right quickload has the recoil at 4.5 FT LBS . 26.0 grains H4895 , with a 107 grain sierra TMK bullet . I think he shot 16 or 17 shots without any problems .

Jim,
That sounds like a great load. I bet if you were to switch to the 100 gr BT, Carter would be all set for deer hunting.

JD338

JD , I did luck into a couple boxes of the 100 gr B-tips . they are the next bullets I'll load . he wasn't bothered by the recoil at all . I think I'll up the powder a touch too .

Definitely some nice shooting ! Sounds like a good thing to instill a practice regime.

10-15 shots of center fire a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good shooting Carter! Enjoying taking the grandkids to the range. That 260 will serve him well for years to come. Keep up the good work. Dan.

Jim,
Excellent plan. Is Carter old enough to participate in a youth hunt? That would be awesome if you could take him out this fall! Maybe water jug one of those 100 gr BT's once you get your load settled.
I took my 3.5 year old grandson out this morning for a tractor ride and showed him where we will be hunting when he gets a little older. Good times.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20210724_103856871.jpg
    IMG_20210724_103856871.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 754
thanks Fellas , I try to get him out shooting when he comes to visit . he lives about 100 miles away , so it's just far enough I can't go grab him as much as I'd like to .

JD , Pa does not have a minimum age for youths , so he can hunt . if they lived a little closer , I could get him after school . I need to talk with his Dad about a day or two of hunting . thanks for putting up the pic of your little guy . I can tell he is Pap's buddy .

jimbires":1u2rl6du said:
thanks Fellas , I try to get him out shooting when he comes to visit . he lives about 100 miles away , so it's just far enough I can't go grab him as much as I'd like to .

JD , Pa does not have a minimum age for youths , so he can hunt . if they lived a little closer , I could get him after school . I need to talk with his Dad about a day or two of hunting . thanks for putting up the pic of your little guy . I can tell he is Pap's buddy .

Jim,
I sure hope you get some hunting time with Carter. MI is the same, no minimum age to hunt. I'm looking forward to spending time with lil'dude Jude in the deer blind in a few years. I need to get him shooting the 22 rimfire.
Yes, he is Papa's buddy. ;)

JD338

Back