Lake Michigan Chinook record set

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
47# this week out of Ludington.

Kid second from the left boated it.

Salmon was bigger at the waist than the kid!

f5307e146035f3e452b9701631937882.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salmonchasers father was part of the team that established that salmon fishery in Michigan. I think he was part of the team in Oregon that worked with Michigan DNR.

In the 60’s alewives were out of control in the Great Lakes and we had piles of dead stinking fish washing ashore… 2-3’ high piles.. the Salmon initially planted were all sterile so if the experiment in reducing Alewive population. They planted Chinook and Coho. Both are established reproducing populations now. The lakes also have monster lake trout (20+ #), brown trout and rainbow/steelhead.

Here’s the link to the article vs https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/2ebfb27

Given the condition of King runs up here in Alaska I’m glad dad helped get that done. He was, at the time, director of marine and freshwater ecology for the epa. He wrote EPAs final approval of the plan.
In any event we may need to bring them back to the northwest if things keep trending down.
That is a nice fish!

Thank you, he was very proud of that work and how successful it was. He often joked they would fire him in 7seconds for trying that now!

Back