That’s a wrap.

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
This morning we had to put my brothers dog down. We’re 300 miles from the nearest vet. A fella shouldn’t have to do that.
My clients were understanding of the late start, we got our Silvers but there was no Golden Retriever on the dock to great us.
I called home, told her I’m retiring in three weeks, I’m done with being gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 7K2A2619.jpg
    7K2A2619.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,650
It's a sad day to lose mans best friend. I lost my 14yo lab in Jan and that was one of the saddest days in recent memory. Sorry to hear your retiring from guiding but I'm sure being gone from home that long weighed heavily in that decision.

That's a tough day, for sure. Hopefully the clients were understanding. It certainly appears that you are a professional, but that sort of tragedy will take the starch out of a man in a hurry.

Sounds like a real tough day for your brother. Dogs give all every day.

The clients will miss you.
I can’t imagine a better more skilled professional guide in the outdoors than you.

Hopefully you’ll do some self guided fishing…

The photo is from one of my favorite streams, featherly creek.
I haven’t been home for summer in 20 years, we plan on enjoying it. Also completely done with guiding bird hunts fall and winter.
We’ve decided to go to Mexico for Christmas; the kids will meet us there.
Early January will find us in Dallas for SCI. We’ve booked a trip to RSA late April early May. Will meet our outfitters there. From there? Who knows! We have a 25 foot Airstream and few obligations.
Fall is all manner of dear, elk and bird hunting.

Well, it sure seemed like a good way to spend some years. Awfully sorry about the dog. It's always tough to lose a good dog. I'd have one heck of a time shooting one of mine myself. :(

I like your ideas for the future! God bless and enjoy!

Guy

Every time we lose a pet our little world pauses while we process and try to understand the why's. We like big dogs, and they are normally NOT, long lived even with the best of care. I can understand the loss, but life never stops. and we need to accept what is given to us and move on the best we can. I am betting that dog had a great life, and saw things and places that some will never see. Enjoy the ride while you can, the end may come faster than you think.

Prayers my friend.

I’ve had to put down two of my own and it really tears me up. I pray that the Father brings peace and comfort to you and your brother regarding this difficult task.

Congratulations on retirement. Enjoy your time in RSA and together traveling. Sounds like a good time. I will pray for safety, enjoyment, and wonderful adventure together for you both.

Vince

I feel for you and your Brothers loss my friend.
I had to put my 14 year old lab down a few years ago. It wasn't something I wanted to do but he had stomach cancer and it was the right thing to do.
I did have the benefit of a Vet to put him to sleep painlessly here at the house while he laid on my lap and I scratched his ears.
Don't think I will ever be able to own another dog it was just too emotionally painful.

Don,

Sorry to hear about having to put down your brothers dog. It's never an easy thing to do.
As for retirement, good decision. You have paid your dues. Now it's time to start spending time with your bride. Start enjoying life to the fullest.

JD338

20yr is a long time to guide. I burned out in 12. I would have been intolerable for 8 more. My hat is off to you my friend.

Sorry about the pup. They really become a part of us. We have a 1.5y/o yellow, he’s a total idiot but we love him.

Sorry to hear of your loss, it is never easy losing a close friend they never ask for much but give unconditional love. I often wish more people acted like our K-nine family.
I pray that your retirement is long, healthy and full of adventure on your terms (y)!!

Blessings,
Dan

The last couple of days have been a blessing, been guiding a group from Alabama. Those boys can fish
92aa71a5590d480f38a05b5793c2c245.jpg

One of these men is battling a debilitating disease that will kill him. The trip has been tough on him but he keeps getting up every morning. Never bitches about the wind, rain or bugs. Been a lot of that. Today he caught a trophy Arctic Char, a touch over 32 inches. Made me happy.
c895b81ef8724df3a8e3da2f343cb9a1.jpg

Nice mess of fish, and a monster artic char…if I’m ever someplace that is flying in artic char.. that’s what I order. Two times, never disappointed yet!

salmonchaser":jovp0jfq said:
The photo is from one of my favorite streams, featherly creek.
I haven’t been home for summer in 20 years, we plan on enjoying it. Also completely done with guiding bird hunts fall and winter.
We’ve decided to go to Mexico for Christmas; the kids will meet us there.
Early January will find us in Dallas for SCI. We’ve booked a trip to RSA late April early May. Will meet our outfitters there. From there? Who knows! We have a 25 foot Airstream and few obligations.
Fall is all manner of dear, elk and bird hunting.

Looks like you've got some good plans. Maybe you'll get a chance to enjoy your favorite streams just for yourself.

At any rate; stay active and enjoy your retirement - you've earned it.

c07bab6bdbb369b3e9a4de78beed326c.jpg

My last day guiding in Alaska. She sends a pic from home. Wants to know if it’s in ethical to shoot him while drinking coffee on the back porch, while he’s walking toward the garden[emoji23]

Beautiful specimen of Odocoileus hemionus. It'd be hard to take watching him saunter past.

Back