Loads for upcoming deer season.

hunter24605":7m3s197u said:
After years of talking myself into then back out of using a mono bullet, I decided to give the TTSX a fair shake and find out for myself how they perform..But just in case, I have a bunch of 140 AB's ready to step in!!!
Same for me. First year using the TTSX also. Ready to try one out! One thing is for sure they are quite accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after work today I stopped by the Range with the old model 94 30-30. Walked out and set up the target and the second berm which is 106 yards. Came back and loaded 3 factory Remington core-lokts 150 grain, that my dad gave me several boxes of with the rifle. I figure they are probably older than me since the still had the $6.50 stickers on the box from wal mart lol. Shot 3 times and after I saw the group I just put everything back in the truck and came home lol. Sometimes there are guns that just shoot great no matter how long it’s been since you shot them!
90f117d4355261d218c7361867a80b3f.jpg

I know I’m gonna have use it more. The last couple times I’ve taken it I’ve also taken my 44 magnum pistol. Since the deer were inside 50 yards I just used the pistol instead. So I’ve never actually shot it at anything other than an occasional target. Guess I’m gonna have to fix that this year.

For some reason I’ve always had good luck with the factory sights on this Gun. Now my mauser with the XS sights is a different story. Still working on that one. Good out to 50, but I started falling off at 100.

For some reason I’ve always had good luck with the factory sights on this Gun. Now my mauser with the XS sights is a different story. Still working on that one. Good out to 50, but I started falling off at 100.

bbearhntr":9z1ryumn said:
I wish I could shoot that good with iron sights.
Oh trust me there is a reason I quit right after I shot it. I know not to push my luck ! [emoji16]

Woods...a 1975 Remington model 742 in 30-06 with 150gr Partition or Barnes FN with 51gr IMR4064.

Field...a 1976 Rem 700 in 25-06 with 110gr AB on 56.8 gr of MRP or a 100 Partition with 61.0gr of MRP.

Well did one last final check for my loads this morning. Overall feeling very confident. Shoot n c target on left is with 9.3x62 with iron sights. Far bottom right is the new deer season XP’s 125 gr that I decided to try in my 6.5 CM. Shot pretty dang good for $18 a box shells I thought. Think I’ll try them out after I take a couple deer with the 120 TTSX. One of my brothers swears by them in his 270 win.
b0949a55d8eb02e2ebc560dc2e646306.jpg

Here are my three loads for this deer season. In the the 6.5 CM, and 9.3x62.
760977aa5bc0363462dafd0a8e43c046.jpg
6d6df5c5b511001b7b8d77f3001c8741.jpg

Ridgerunner665":1x3dev5t said:
10mm with 200 grain XTP's at 1,300 fps will be my primary deer load this year.

That's pretty doggone cool. I've been following your posts on the handgun and your loads. (y)

Best of luck!!!

Guy

Ridgerunner665":3u2j26id said:

BTW, for anyone who thinks the 10mm doesn't compare well with the .41 & .44 magnums. A few years back I took a doe with my .44 mag using Federal factory ammo:

240 gr JHP at 1250 fps from my 5" revolver.

I'd say ol' Ridgerunner's 10mm ammo is pretty doggone close to that...

Guy

Guy Miner":zll6swz9 said:
Ridgerunner665":zll6swz9 said:

BTW, for anyone who thinks the 10mm doesn't compare well with the .41 & .44 magnums. A few years back I took a doe with my .44 mag using Federal factory ammo:

Guy
Thank you Guy,

Not many people wanna accept that it seems... But you're right, a properly loaded 10mm will match the old magnum loads that the magnums were using when they made their mark on the hunting world.

Today's 10mm will match SAAMI loaded 41 mag from the 80's, and will nip on the heels of the 44 of that era too.

Direct from SAAMI, use the column fit the vented barrel to see revolver performance.

Guy Miner":1njveycd said:
Ridgerunner665":1njveycd said:

Guy
I’m a 44 fan but I use cast wide flat noses at 1,000-1300 fps depending on load. I know for a fact your load will work, cause my brother uses a 10mm with 180 jhp. I keep trying to tell him to move up to the 200’s but he hasn’t yet. His 180’s have not gave him a pass through yet at 15-20 yards. I like to side with the heavier slugs in handguns. But the xtp has always been a deep penetrator for me in 44 mag. So I believe your load will be plenty stout for hunting any medium size game. Have you though about trying some WFN hardcast in your 10mm yet? I bet that would give great penetration! Although I’m not sure how they may feed in an auto loader.

I don't really wanna use cast, I prefer expanding bullets myself... But I still want complete penetration too.

With cast bullets one has to worry about bullet fit, the right expander, and all that... Just not my thing (I had a fling with casting a few years ago).

Ridgerunner665":3m894n20 said:
I don't really wanna use cast, I prefer expanding bullets myself... But I still want complete penetration too.

With cast bullets one has to worry about bullet fit, the right expander, and all that... Just not my thing (I had a fling with casting a few years ago).
Yes that is very true. It’s pretty hard to go wrong with the xtp in my book.

Cleveland48":n09yjx5j said:
Ridgerunner665":n09yjx5j said:

Yes that is very true. It’s pretty hard to go wrong with the xtp in my book.

I do have a stash of Cutting Edge 190 grain copper solids.... That is a WFN copper solid, for those times when I want 6 feet of penetration.

I played around with them for a bit, still have 150 left... Excellent bullets in every way!

In the end I decided against them for deer, but if I ever find myself in Alaska...

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/40-190gr-handgun-solid

Back