A poll on rifle rests

Dougfir

Beginner
Mar 2, 2018
I'm curious how many of you use a "lead sled" or other similar device when load testing? Or, do you just use bags? I use two bags, and I'm not an awful shot, but I'm also not good enough to think that my results are entirely due to the rifle... By now, I've probably missed a good load, or two because of bad shooting! Part of me thinks I'd get more accurate results if I got a fancier rest. What do you think?

I can’t shoot nearly as well off a lead sled as I can a good set of bags. I also don’t shoot to the same POI from a leadsled that I do off bags. I do tend to shoot to the same Poi from bags as I do a bipod but bags are generally better groups.

Nestled in to a good set of bags is about as good as it gets. Bipod with rear bag being nearly as good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've fired precisely two rounds off a lead sled, really don't like it. Much more consistent with bags.
I shot once a week for twenty years off a bipod, prone. Equally as good as bags for me.

I've fired precisely two rounds off a lead sled, really don't like it. Much more consistent with bags.
I shot once a week for twenty years off a bipod, prone. Equally as good as bags for me.

No lead sled. I will use a Caldwell clamp rest to adjust sights to the holes while zeroing.

Load testing I use 2 "bags". One just behind the trigger guard, usually a shot bag full of paver sand. The other bag is a doubled over blue jean leg, stitched at the ends and across the middle to form 2 attached bags that flop over each other. Also filled with paver sand. This kind of sand is important as it can be shaped to form a nice, stable cradle for the rifle and won't dust through the fabric. I usually use this bag on top of a stable wooden block, doubled over and tamped to correct height, just behind front support hand. I shoot a wide variety of vintage military rifles with a wide variety of stock and sight configurations, so the versatility of this system is perfect for my purposes. As far as having "enough" rest, if you're under 1.5 over 5 shots and trying to split another hair, you're playing a different game than me. This rest system is more than capable of that if the load and rifle are up to it.

I use a lead sled for load testing....use bags for sighting in..and practice from field positions.

This is what I currently use, with a shot bag filled with sand under the rear of the stock.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CALDWEL ... lsrc=aw.ds

I think this one is probably better but I cant afford it.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-acce ... 00-005-677

This dosent mean that I shoot fantastic, or even notable groups. However, I used to use a Caldwell Metal rest similar to a sled and managed to find a way to break a chip out of the pistol grip on my stock.... Added padding but groups weren't all that great.

This interests me though....Had the idea years ago looking at a scissors jack for an old Toyota...another million I missed.

https://gnarlygorilla.com/lyman-shootin ... gLfsPD_BwE

I use bags and a short bi-pod off of a bench or platform. I have never even saw a lead sled.

Hart rest up front, rear bag with ears unless prone, then a bipod and rear bag/ears. I struggle with loading a bipod correctly on the bench.

I have a lead sled and have used it a few times ... Use it for setting up a new scope & such.

Like others I seem to get better accuracy from a set of bags.

Read several guys with hard-kicking rifles who said their stocks broke while shooting from the lead-sled.

I just toss the rifle over my ruck/pack and shoot. Sometimes a bipod instead.

Or just shoot, holding the rifle. Maybe braced with a sling.

That's pretty simple & cool.

Regards, Guy

I've used a sled quite a bit as well as bags..I tend to end up using the bags more often than not..I like the sled, and it produces very accurate results for me, but most times it puts the rifle too high for me to get comfortable on the bench and I and up tying to find something higher to sit on or stack a cushion(s) on the stool to get a proper height..My range has benches with seats that swing from left to right of the bench, but they are not adjustable for height. So rather than mess with everything, I just grab the bags..I use Caldwell "Tack Driver" front bag and "Dead Shot" rear bag, both filled with unpopped popcorn..(just make sure you store them where critters can't get into them)

I use a German roe-sack with a cushion or other stuff in it for range testing.
It’s handy and pretty close to what I’d use when hunting.

Read several guys with hard-kicking rifles who said their stocks broke while shooting from the lead-sled
I had heard this also Guy.
It seems to make sense, at least to me. After popping pretty much all my rifles out of their stocks to either rebed or just add bedding around the lug, there were a few that didn't seem to have an awful lot of excess material behind the lug. I can't imagine slamming into the stock with that lug to be a good thing but that's just me. Lot more give in a shoulder or bag than in a sled.
To answer the OP, I'm a bipod and bag guy or just bags.

I'm not much of a shooter off the bench. Never tried a lead sled as I really don't mind the recoil on my guns.
A while back I purchased a Caldwell fire control rest. The verdict is still out as I haven't used it much but it does seem to help get precisely on target without having to change positions or apply pressure.

I'm with Thebear_78, Guy Miner, Alderman and others in that vein.

I prefer having a "loaded" bipod with rear bag or a gloved hand for stabilization. I do my chronograph testing on benches and then migrate to the grass. When I use a front bag, or a bipod on cement or other hard surfaces I seem to get a bit of jump off of it; a different bag fill should mitigate the jump and I should revise my bag form.

A friend has a Lead Sled and I won't use it with my rifles. I do not think the sled tells me how the rifle, ammo and shooter interact (I don't have a good feel for the recoil level or if the rifle / load is acting funny and I can't get nestled into the rifle as I would normally). There is no give to the rifle so the possibility of a damaged stock, scope or scope mounts does exist with lightweight or hard kicking rifles as Guy Miner mentioned.

At the end of the day, if the Sled or other stabilization devices work for you; then I recommend you use them but don't get dependent on them. Fotis, I believe uses the Lead Sled or something similar, to get his outstanding results and those results provide great confidence in the load & rifle along with showing how consistent it is day after day. That confidence can mean a whole lot.

JD 338, remembering your excellent success with that, I think I'm going to treat myself to the BullsBag for load testing and long-range precision shooting.

Guy

Back