25-06, 110 ELDX, RL26 Results

joelkdouglas

Handloader
Jun 5, 2011
I posted earlier I got some RL26 to play with, and I wanted to try it in both the 30-06 with heavies and the 25-06 with 110s.

Results for the 25-06 are not notable, because of the rifle. She just plain shoots everything well. I wish all my rifles were as tolerant as this one! Here she is brand new. Now she has scratches and dings in the stock from chasing muleys in the Tetons (though I have yet to kill one of those mountain ghosts!).

dhBSQjo.jpg

I started with a runup to check velocities.
9bEf1ic.jpg

I decided I was looking for a velocity node a bit hotter. So I loaded up about where I had left off on the other one.

IK8DUmP.jpg

I wanted to shoot groups today also, but without knowing where the powder charge node was I couldn't finish loading rounds. I loaded up cases with 55 grains RL26 in them (with a GM215M primer), and stuck toilet paper in the neck so the powder would stay put.

ERM7an7.jpg

Here's my portable reloading kit ready to go to the range.

DlfiKjR.jpg

After looking at the velocities I decided to try 55.2 grains, with the ELDX loaded up 0.03 off the lands. Pretty standard results for this rifle, but a 110 ELDX or AccuBond at 3200 fps is going to put an end to an antelope, whitetail, or muley!

1RLPJoV.jpg

I wish all my rifles shot as well as she does!

Looks like a fine load. And skilled shooting. I need to drag out my old chronograph. An Oehler 35 as I recall.

Nice!

Love the arbor press!

Love the 25-06.

Ya, I think you're set. Good rifle, cartridge and load. Up to you now.

Guy

Guy Miner":2lwjikpw said:
Nice!

Love the arbor press!

Love the 25-06.

Ya, I think you're set. Good rifle, cartridge and load. Up to you now.

Guy

Thanks! I do love my arbor press. I have a Wilson die for every chambering but one, and that one is a wildcat (7 Mashburn). I asked Kevin Weaver to make me a Wilson seater when he chambers the next rifle.

I love the freedom to change seating depth at the range rather than making another trip home. And an inexpensive set of Lee dippers and a trickler for powder works to adjust charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I wish all my rifles shot as well as she does!"

I got one in the same boat brother. Those model 70's can tend to do that push feed or not, and along with that the 25-06 cartridge in general can be very accurate. Very nice combo and great shooting.

Never understood, though I don't own one, why the .25/06 is not more popular. I might have to change that.

salmonchaser":jmdsacwn said:
Never understood, though I don't own one, why the .25/06 is not more popular. I might have to change that.

I think it's a regional thing, and also a generational thing. I've run into groups of people, here and there, who know the 25-06 well, and even rely on it for elk & black bear, two species which I thought were a little heavy for it.

Some parts of Wyoming and Montana, I swear, they issue every 16 year old a 25-06, and the cowboys use the heck out of 'em.

What's not to like? It's like a slightly bigger, slightly faster 257 Roberts. Mild recoil. Excellent accuracy. Flat trajectory and a quick killer.

Regards, Guy

Well I've seen four elk killed with one, did have to track one a might that was hit a bit back on a quartering shot.IMG_0604.JPG
The others pretty much gave it up to 120gr partitions.

Yep, I just might have to have a really fine rifle built in .25/06

Guy Miner":2m1hejsz said:
It would be a mighty fine rifle.

For sure, my 25-06 is a good one as well. Seems to shoot most anything I put through it real well.

Back