A promising start for the 17 Fireball

bobnob

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
G’day guys.

Just picked up my new to me Rem 700 in 17 Fireball. It’s a totally new thing to me, I’ve never owned anything below .22 calibre.

Got the rifle home this arvo and hurriedly mounted a scope, loaded up some rounds with 20g Varmageddon Tipped 20g bullets and put a minimum book charge of H4198 (AR2207) into Rem brass with CCI400 primers. Loaded COAL to book specs.

Being time short and with a strong wind I just took the target out to 80 yards with an improvised rest after a bore sighting. First and only three shots on target delivered a very encouraging result!

ALGwm6.jpg

Only 80 yards but 0.401” in windy conditions was most encouraging!

Can’t wait to stretch it out a little further and experiment with some hotter loads. I suspect the fox and rabbit population should be nervous!

Rifle came with the Hogue stock that has the full length alloy bedding block. I have to say it’s a LOT stiffer and more solid than the pillar bedded version.

xcbpJB.jpg

D3HV9d.jpg

That looks and shoots great.
The 17 Fireball has a tendency to waste barrels and foul terribly when pushed to 4k.
That little bullet is very explosive and will work great at slower velocities.
Unless they have changed the jacket design they also tend to vaporize at the higher velocities at least from my experience when it first came out. Several friends had one and sold them after finding this out but they didn't have the powder and bullets that are used today.
It will produce very tiny groups with the right combination of powder and bullet.
Wish I still had the old load data to give you.

Thanks guys.

Truckie, my intention is to run the rifle around starting loads and pressures for the reasons you outline. 3700fps with a 20g and 3450fps with a 25g will do all that I need. This rifle will be a 350 yard proposition at the very most and an extra 2-300fps will do almost nothing extra in terms of performance.

The wind is meant to be better the next few days. I’ll post my results as they come for anyone interested.

In the meantime, any guidance in respect of a cleaning regimen for this cartridge?

Every rifle is different as to how much it fouls before it needs cleaning. The old 17s use to go south around 15-20 rounds in custom barrels the factory barrels around 10 but they were with light for caliber bullets around 4kfps.
I would find a good copper cleaner that doesn't have ammonia in it to clean the copper out of it.

What a cool little caliber and in a nice put together outfit. Looks like it will shoot. Have fun.

Nice looking rig. She looks to be a shooter too.

JD338

The Fireball has taken its first shot in anger. A fat rabbit at a lasered 255y, was facing away so the only shot I had was his back. I aimed dead centre and that’s indeed where the 20g Nosler connected.

Being able to see the impact through the scope before hearing a nice “pop” sound is lots of fun. He rolled straight over, stone dead...

fAffwe.jpg

Plenty of internal damage but no exit at all. Amazing!

Man, you're fortunate that the beast was facing away from you! Can you imagine what could have happened if a killer bunny had been charging you? Great shot, by the way.

I had considered the danger factor... No way I was getting closer than 250 yards!

Bit of an update.

For anyone who might be after a load with this cartridge using a powder other than those generally listed, I tried a load of H4895 with the 25g bullet due to the fact I generally have this powder in bulk.

18g of H4895 under the 25g Vmax gave 3550fps from the 20” barrel. (I have lopped the barrel from 24” since the original post). The pressure is undoubtedly mild by my estimation. Accuracy was better than my previous loads using H4198 and H322.

Load density appears around 90% or so. I could push this harder I do not doubt, but with the great accuracy I’m going to leave it there.

Bob have you thought about DBC’ing it. Might help with fouling.

I like those little 17’s. Look like a blast!

Scotty I would like to DBC it, I’m just not sure where to get the kit here! I think I will pursue it though as John B swears by it.

As a further update for anyone ever looking for some data...

I wrote to ADI and asked them about H4895 (called AR2206H here) in the Fireball. Their response was non committal but not discouraging...

Thank you for your enquiry of 26/6/2018 with regard to reloading using ADI Sporting powders.
Please find attached our latest test load data for .17 Remington Fireball.
You may be able to develop a load for this cartridge with AR2206H however you would have to undertake your own experimental load development. We do not have any test load data for .17 Remington Fireball with AR2206H as it is considered too slow burning for optimal performance in this cartridge.
Extreme caution should be taken and loads should be worked up accordingly. Refer to our website at http://www.adi-powders.com.au or our 9th edition handloaders’ guide for more information, warnings and reloading safety

In the meantime I just took the rifle to double check zero at 125y, at which range I wanted to have it printing 2.4 inches high. The groups at left and right are the 25g Vmax with H4895, the lower centre group is the 20g Varmageddon with H4198.

VQU0rj.jpg

I adjusted the zero up between the far left group and the far right. Pretty pleased with this accuracy with H4895 given my coarse bench rest skills and apparatus. About 0.45MOA.

Not so thrilled with the H4198 accuracy but that particular group was larger than usual. Nice that they print to roughly the same spot though.

Back