30-338

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Anyone loading for this cartridge?
What advantages does the 30-338 have over the 300Win if any?
I know it is similar to the 308 Norma.
Thinking about putting a new barrel on the 338 Win and this would be an option since I already have the brass.

Yes. I load for 2 of them. In my opinion the advantage over the Win Mag is that you don’t have to load over - length with a special long throat to use the available powder space with 200gr and over LR bullets. I get 2850 with a 210gr VLD or 212ELDX using IMR4350 which is pretty respectable. The reamer I used has a .120 throat and loaded with the ELD’s fit in a 3.5 AICS pattern magazine touching the lands with a little room to spare. The other is in a pre64 Win 70 standard magnum length action and it’s throated looong...no way to load mag length and get within .090 of the lands. In spite of that it is very accurate sporting a Hart barrel.

I have found, as I’ve read the military did when they loaded them for Wimbledon competition, that my best accuracy comes from rounds being fire-formed from new Winchester brand .338 Win Mag brass. I’ve read that they surplus’d the once - fired brass which I would do as well if I had the military budget.

I really like the cartridge, probably obsolete and unnecessary but can still get the job done, kinda like me[emoji1].

When I was just learning about wildcats, etc., I was going to have a Mod 1917 Enfield rechambered/converted to the 30/338. My rifle was made by Eddystone and when it was tested it turned out to be too brittle. Close as I got Pard! :) You may as well go for it!

My hunting buddy had one of these once. It was made up as a long range target rifle. It was a WIN. 70 don't remember what barrel make. As has been said it was a round made up to allow long bullets to be used through the magazine with 100% of case capacity with powders of that day and also have a longer neck than the 300 mag. I believe he used IMR 4350 also with 190/200ish gr bullets. He used it some one deer season to take a few deer and long range when we were doing crop damage control, really just playing with it to see what he could do with it. He sold it to a fellow who was a bear hunter going to Alaska.

I went through it once. Still have a set of 30-338 dies. It’s really a great design especially if you’re using the long 200+ Bullets in a 3.4 mag box. I imagine it’ll do anything the 300 Win does. Honestly as cool of a round it is the 300 Win makes a ton of sense. Easy to source brass of very high quality and I’ve never seen a 300 Win really suffer cause of the short neck. They have to be the most popular 300 out there.

Still, if your heart is set on it I don’t think you’d hate it.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Scotty my heart is not set on it and just trying to figure out what to do with the 338win I don't want but won't give away.

I've been big fan of 30-338mag also 300mag. Sierra has loading data for 30-338mag and it dates back to 80's to it's current manual, same rifle and it's more of target vs hunting rifle with 28.5" barrel. The brass Sierra used was Win Super X 338 brass.

Sierra also has loads used when 30-338mag won Wimbledon 1968 (Army team member) and Carlos Hathcock USMC won it 1965 with 300mag.

If someone has loads shot F-Class from 30-338mag you should post those and what brass used.

I got interested in 30-338mag as hunting rifle and I've had 3 build. First one had 1/12twist barrel @ 26" and it was finished so I could work up some loads and hunt elk here in Co 1985. I waited about 10yrs before had another build but used 1/10 twist barrel @ 26" and last one was finished 2010 and I used Llija 1/11 twist barrel @ 26". I wasn't shooting the 30-338mag that had 1/10 twist very much so changed it over to 270Wby. I've also build couple 300mag and the difference in neck length between 30-338mag and 300win mag is about .075". I've had 1st 30-338mag barrel replace but kept it 1/12 twist.

I have never understood why the 300 WM got more popular than the 300 Norma (30/338). The 7RM & the 338WM took off like rockets to the moon, but the Norma never caught on. Same parent case.

I guess advertising $$$$$$$$$ do pay off.

As far as I was ever to ascertain, there is no Real difference between the two. The Norma does have a bit longer neck, which strictly speaking from a loading perspective has an advantage, but that's not enough to make any significant advantage.

But, for my $0.02 on this, I'd just put a new 338 barrel on and never look back !

You can buy that hunt you wanted w/o wasting the time to redo something that works.

truck driver

Why not just load 160, 180 or 185 in the 338. They can be loaded fro 30-30 levels to 300 mag levels. Shoot great kick little and cost is not a factor.

If you really want a 300 mag you can get a TC compass for 350, the cost of a barrel.

Gunner46":2kxfsh17 said:
I have never understood why the 300 WM got more popular than the 300 Norma (30/338). The 7RM & the 338WM took off like rockets to the moon, but the Norma never caught on. Same parent case.

I guess advertising $$$$$$$$$ do pay off.

As far as I was ever to ascertain, there is no Real difference between the two. The Norma does have a bit longer neck, which strictly speaking from a loading perspective has an advantage, but that's not enough to make any significant advantage.

But, for my $0.02 on this, I'd just put a new 338 barrel on and never look back !

You can buy that hunt you wanted w/o wasting the time to redo something that works.
Nothing wrong with the current barrel that's on it, It will shot consistent 3/4" groups at 100yds and bang a steel target at 400yds with a cold barrel first shot every time off my back pack.
Tjay":2kxfsh17 said:
truck driver

Why not just load 160, 180 or 185 in the 338. They can be loaded fro 30-30 levels to 300 mag levels. Shoot great kick little and cost is not a factor.

If you really want a 300 mag you can get a TC compass for 350, the cost of a barrel.
Not a fan of mono bullets but they are a option. Most of the lighter bullets go out of stock before I can get to them so I've never tried light for caliber bullets out of it but that is an option.

My opinion is there is 0 difference between a 338 and a 300 Win Mag. The only time my opinion would change is if you were shooting really heavy VLD type Bullets through a 300 set up for such an animal. Otherwise with Normal hunting Bullets you’d really have to blindfold me to tell the difference.

SJB358":11phcmdw said:
My opinion is there is 0 difference between a 338 and a 300 Win Mag. The only time my opinion would change is if you were shooting really heavy VLD type Bullets through a 300 set up for such an animal. Otherwise with Normal hunting Bullets you’d really have to blindfold me to tell the difference.
Well I'll find out since I just pulled the string on one on GB. A used push feed M70 made back in the 1970's so that will make 3 of the push feeds I own.
I like taking a pigs ear and turning it into a silk purse.

Nice! Well I don’t think you’d be unhappy with it. The old goats is a 70’s era 300 as well still shoots like a tuned 222!

SJB358":1kvvnihn said:
Nice! Well I don’t think you’d be unhappy with it. The old goats is a 70’s era 300 as well still shoots like a tuned 222!
Come to find out I read the serial number wrong and it's a G sires made in 95 but looks very clean and shows little exterior wear. Bolt jeweling show little wear from use. Thinking since it's in one of plastic stocks used in that era it was too much for the owner and shot very little.
Now I need brass and dies. Found some Winchester brass very reasonably priced and will start with that just need to get a die set.

Oh yeah, WW brass is pretty danged good stuff for the 300 Win. It’s all I ever used in my old 300.

Sounds like a good rifle. Those 90’s 70’s were pretty danged good. I’d scrub the barrel to metal and DBC it from the get go. You’ll thank me later.

Nice score on the new gun TD. Let us know how it shoots. I assume you are going to put it in a B/C stock or something similar? Sure like my push feed M70 in the BC Medalist. Much more comfortable shooting stock than the featherweight, just not as pretty to look at.

BretN":34s3pezj said:
Nice score on the new gun TD. Let us know how it shoots. I assume you are going to put it in a B/C stock or something similar? Sure like my push feed M70 in the BC Medalist. Much more comfortable shooting stock than the featherweight, just not as pretty to look at.
Funny thing about the rifle is it's coming from a shop in Saint Paul MN.
Ever heard of DK Mags?

Resurrection of this Summer thread.

We took a cow this year with the heavy 30-338 that I put together last Winter. 212 ELDX with a MV of 2850. 370 yards broadside, entered between heart and lungs, exited slightly higher on the opposite side breaking the back side of the front shoulder blade. Exit diameter less than 2”, no bullet recovery. Very little bloodshot and no bone shrapnel. Vitals were Jello. Happy with the bullet performance. Not a long range shot by any stretch, but the SIG Tango 4 dialed in perfectly and the rifle performed well.

2 CO elk harvested this year with my amateur builds. I’m beyond tickled!

Back