Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Chronographs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 7505
Location: East Coast
I'm sure this has been discussed here before but can't find a link to the post.
What I need to know is how those who use the Magneto speed sporter chronograph like them as compared to the V3 model.
I only plan on using it on hunting rifles without other barrel attachments like brakes, flash protectors or silencers so the standard sporter barrel is what it will be used on.
I'm getting tired of missing range days due to cloudy weather and looking to upgrade my equipment.
Any comments will be appreciated.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am 

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:04 pm
Posts: 116
Location: WI
I picked up a Sporter model last year and couldn’t be happier. As with all things there are always some draw backs. For me the display unit takes a little getting used to , it doesn’t work on my Savage 338 Lapua do to the break being to big. Half the price of the V3 makes it a win for me.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:23 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 am
Posts: 1201
I’m really enjoying the sporter model. I have used it a few times on my 6.5 CM that has a hellfire brake, and have had no issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:18 am
Posts: 569
Location: SW Virginia
I really like my sporter..The display box can be a little awkward to toggle through to get to what you're looking for, but considering its 1/2 the cost the V3, I live with it..There's a smart phone adapter that makes the data easier to sort through..

_________________
It's a futile effort trying to convince my wife that, left unsupervised in the safe, my guns have multiplied all by themselves.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:55 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:04 am
Posts: 2358
Location: Delta Junction, AK
The only drawback for me was the strap had a hard time with light contour barrels and required constant tightening.

That kind of turned me off on one, if you're shooting standard sporter weight barrels it's likely a non-issue.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:18 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:35 pm
Posts: 1088
I also have the sporter. I have the iPhone interface cable too.
It works. Our shooting benches are on a berm, so setting a chrono is a pain.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:59 pm
Posts: 1246
Location: Holland, MI
I have a V2 I'd consider selling if you think you need the features vs the Sporter model.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2493
Location: Tennessee
For plain rifles only.... As you mentioned... The Sporter is all you need.

_________________
Lynn

Image


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:46 am 

Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:43 am
Posts: 189
I run mine on everything from bull-barrels down to the thinnest barrels. Like stated earlier, thin barrels need constant tightening of the strap. I'm thinking of finding some type of inner tube type of rubber band to see if that will hold it in place better. Other than that, I prefer it over the V3 for most uses.

_________________
I miss my Dad. 6/2/23 - 12/9/2008 Semper Fidelis


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:28 am 

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 29379
Location: Northern Virginia
Bbear wrote:
I run mine on everything from bull-barrels down to the thinnest barrels. Like stated earlier, thin barrels need constant tightening of the strap. I'm thinking of finding some type of inner tube type of rubber band to see if that will hold it in place better. Other than that, I prefer it over the V3 for most uses.


So I spray the strap down with a 3M Super 77 Spray glue and let the works dry all the way. This will keep it attached and tight on just about any barrel. It has worked well on my 22-250 up to my 375 Ackley.

I have used the Sporter about two years so far and it has taken a BEATING but keep sending numbers out without issue.

_________________
SEMPER FIDELIS

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 7505
Location: East Coast
SJB358 wrote:
Bbear wrote:
I run mine on everything from bull-barrels down to the thinnest barrels. Like stated earlier, thin barrels need constant tightening of the strap. I'm thinking of finding some type of inner tube type of rubber band to see if that will hold it in place better. Other than that, I prefer it over the V3 for most uses.


So I spray the strap down with a 3M Super 77 Spray glue and let the works dry all the way. This will keep it attached and tight on just about any barrel. It has worked well on my 22-250 up to my 375 Ackley.

I have used the Sporter about two years so far and it has taken a BEATING but keep sending numbers out without issue.
I was thinking double sided tape would also work.


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:13 am 

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 29379
Location: Northern Virginia
truck driver wrote:
SJB358 wrote:
Bbear wrote:
I run mine on everything from bull-barrels down to the thinnest barrels. Like stated earlier, thin barrels need constant tightening of the strap. I'm thinking of finding some type of inner tube type of rubber band to see if that will hold it in place better. Other than that, I prefer it over the V3 for most uses.


So I spray the strap down with a 3M Super 77 Spray glue and let the works dry all the way. This will keep it attached and tight on just about any barrel. It has worked well on my 22-250 up to my 375 Ackley.

I have used the Sporter about two years so far and it has taken a BEATING but keep sending numbers out without issue.
I was thinking double sided tape would also work.


Might work fine as well. I just use the Spray Glue since it rubs away pretty easily with a Hoppes #9 if it does stick to the barrel a little. Basically anything that is a little tacky helps it stay in place.

_________________
SEMPER FIDELIS

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING


Top
Offline Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

This forum is:

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net