Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:19 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chronographs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:58 am 

I'm sure this has been discussed here before but can't find a link to the post.
What I need to know is how those who use the Magneto speed sporter chronograph like them as compared to the V3 model.
I only plan on using it on hunting rifles without other barrel attachments like brakes, flash protectors or silencers so the standard sporter barrel is what it will be used on.
I'm getting tired of missing range days due to cloudy weather and looking to upgrade my equipment.
Any comments will be appreciated.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Chronographs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:01 am 

I picked up a Sporter model last year and couldn’t be happier. As with all things there are always some draw backs. For me the display unit takes a little getting used to , it doesn’t work on my Savage 338 Lapua do to the break being to big. Half the price of the V3 makes it a win for me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:23 pm 

I’m really enjoying the sporter model. I have used it a few times on my 6.5 CM that has a hellfire brake, and have had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:49 pm 

I really like my sporter..The display box can be a little awkward to toggle through to get to what you're looking for, but considering its 1/2 the cost the V3, I live with it..There's a smart phone adapter that makes the data easier to sort through..

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:55 pm 

The only drawback for me was the strap had a hard time with light contour barrels and required constant tightening.

That kind of turned me off on one, if you're shooting standard sporter weight barrels it's likely a non-issue.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:18 pm 

I also have the sporter. I have the iPhone interface cable too.
It works. Our shooting benches are on a berm, so setting a chrono is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 pm 

I have a V2 I'd consider selling if you think you need the features vs the Sporter model.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:59 pm 

For plain rifles only.... As you mentioned... The Sporter is all you need.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:46 am 

I run mine on everything from bull-barrels down to the thinnest barrels. Like stated earlier, thin barrels need constant tightening of the strap. I'm thinking of finding some type of inner tube type of rubber band to see if that will hold it in place better. Other than that, I prefer it over the V3 for most uses.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:28 am 

Bbear wrote:
I run mine on everything from bull-barrels down to the thinnest barrels. Like stated earlier, thin barrels need constant tightening of the strap. I'm thinking of finding some type of inner tube type of rubber band to see if that will hold it in place better. Other than that, I prefer it over the V3 for most uses.

So I spray the strap down with a 3M Super 77 Spray glue and let the works dry all the way. This will keep it attached and tight on just about any barrel. It has worked well on my 22-250 up to my 375 Ackley.

I have used the Sporter about two years so far and it has taken a BEATING but keep sending numbers out without issue.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 am 

SJB358 wrote:
Bbear wrote:

So I spray the strap down with a 3M Super 77 Spray glue and let the works dry all the way. This will keep it attached and tight on just about any barrel. It has worked well on my 22-250 up to my 375 Ackley.

I have used the Sporter about two years so far and it has taken a BEATING but keep sending numbers out without issue.
I was thinking double sided tape would also work.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:13 am 

truck driver wrote:
SJB358 wrote:
Bbear wrote:

I was thinking double sided tape would also work.

Might work fine as well. I just use the Spray Glue since it rubs away pretty easily with a Hoppes #9 if it does stick to the barrel a little. Basically anything that is a little tacky helps it stay in place.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS, NoslerV, Nosler4