Drop tube recommendations?

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
Can anyone make a recommendation on buying a drop tube/drop tube funnel? I see there are several offered, some simple and some in kits. What works and what doesn't?

Thank you for your input. Dan

I was being a cheapo, lol and used a McDonald's straw and a small funnel taped together. I slit the ends of the straw on one end so it can fit in .308 brass easier, but it works. You can use a thinner straw and a smaller mouthed funnel for brass with smaller necks.

I made my own for loading black powder. For BP you need a drop tube at least 24 inches long and it must be metal to not produce static electricity causing sparks to properly load BP cartridges. I used a 30 inch piece of copper 3/8" tubing. I made a clamp out of two pieces of metal and two bolts to place in the middle so I could clamp it to my loading table. I use a metal funnel that fits into the top with a wrap of tape to hold it securely together. I hold my 45-70 case at the bottom with one hand and trickle in the powder with the other hand into the funnel. The powder settles in perfectly every time allowing me to get more into a case and have it fill to the same volume so I get consistent compression on the wad. The base of the bullet sits tight against the wad and allows the bullets to be seated to the exact same length. Really accurate loads are produced this way.

I come from a long line of "If we can't some how make it we will break down and purchase it" family. LOL

I settled on the RCBS kit. I saw it in a Bass Pro shop and bought it since it could be used with different calibers or just use the funnel.
You will get some static with plastic but wipe it down with a used clothes dryer sheet will take care of the static.

The other day, I went out and bought some straws to play with. I had a little funnel that I taped a small straw to and played around with case filling. I had some surprising results:

To establish a baseline, I set a fully prepared case in a shallow pan and placed a standard RCBS universal funnel on the case and filled the case to overflowing with Re26 powder. I just poured the powder. Then I pulled the funnel off and leveled the powder to top of the case. I emptied the residue powder from the pan. Then I poured the powder from the case back into the pan.

I put the case an a reloading tray and inserted the straw taped to the bottom of the funnel. I poured the powder into the funnel and slowly pulled the funnel out of the case. The powder overflowed. I was very surprised. Anyway, I played around for quite a while and had the following observations:

1. Re26 has very short kernels. The length of the kernel is hardly any longer than the diameter. That suggests that a drop tube would be less effective than with a powder with a larger aspect ratio.

2. The 300 WSM is a "short, fat" case. That suggests powder will better arrange itself in the case than in a "tall, thin" case.

3. Tapping the case has hardly any effect on settling the powder. It settles some but very little. Certainly not as much as some other powders.

4. If I used the universal RCBS funnel and poured the powder very slowly into it, I could get SIGNIFICANTLY more powder in the case than if I just dumped the powder into the funnel.

Due to the fat, short geometry of the case and due to the short aspect ratio of the powder, I am not sure that a drop tube will be of much help with this case and powder. If I pour the powder in slowly, the kernels seem to naturally find a dense arrangement in case. But, now my curiosity is piqued and I will order a drop tube just to see if it can beat pouring slowly (for this case and this powder).

What I am learning is that the more I learn, the less I know....

Dan

Dan, a drop tube is just that, a tube attached to a funnel that allows the powder to drop into the case when poured into the funnel. Any funnel or drop tube combo works better when you slowly pour the powder into a case then if you just dump it in, you get a better settling affect with the powder when poured slowly from a height.

I ordered the Frankford Arsenal kit today. I look forward to using it.

Dan

I used the Frankfort Arsenal drop tube yesterday and once fired brass. I poured the powder very slowly into the funnel from the pan. It seems that I can get about what QuickLOAD says is 103% case capacity (with Re-16 and Re-26) before I see indications of powder compression. A little more with Re-16 and a little less with Re-26.

Dan

You can get a bit more in if you have an old Remington electric razor to use as a vibrator to settle the powder a little more. Just pug it in turn it on and hold the case against the razor as you pour the powder in. I have tried it with some heavily compressed loads of long grain powder and it works but found I didn't need to use that much powder to get what I wanted out of my loads.
It also works good when using buffering material in shot gun loads to tighten patterns.

NYDAN":24y9sgvv said:
I used the Frankfort Arsenal drop tube yesterday and once fired brass. I poured the powder very slowly into the funnel from the pan. It seems that I can get about what QuickLOAD says is 103% case capacity (with Re-16 and Re-26) before I see indications of powder compression. A little more with Re-16 and a little less with Re-26.

Dan

I've noticed some powders just settle better than others . you'll notice the drop tube helps with all powders . it felt clumsy at first , but I don't even use a regular funnel since I bought it .

jimbires":2l8ehdks said:
NYDAN":2l8ehdks said:

Dan

I've noticed some powders just settle better than others . you'll notice the drop tube helps with all powders . it felt clumsy at first , but I don't even use a regular funnel since I bought it .

Same here!

Back