BOOM!

Thank you for the post Guy.

If you do reload with black powder, and this isn't labeled on the canisters of the black powder, you CANNOT make or attempt compressed loads.
Black Powder will explode under pressure like that.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

That house sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Someone obviously got very careless.

diverdown":3b1n78zq said:
That house sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Someone obviously got very careless.

Not sure I agree with that. An accident waiting to happen could be said of many houses, and certainly shops, once a fire starts. How or why the fire started, who knows for sure.

The black powder and acetylene and oxygen tanks were the big danger as far as explosion once a fire is going.

You could take a plastic cup of smokeless powder and throw a burning rag into it and it will just burn as a flammable material, same as gas. No explosion. It generates high pressure when contained, but by itself just burns. Do that with black powder (Which you don't want to) and you're immediately dealing with a small bomb.

My thoughts would be - does he handload in the garage (like I do). Where is the oxygen and acetylyne stored? Where is the black powder stored? Is it in the proper storage locker? Were there any other combustible materials in the area? As the story comes out more information will be available.

If it was really black powder that was involved static electricity from anything can set it off. That is the reason that you use all metal and best brass tools when working with BP and never have much of it exposed at a time. I disagree with the statement that black powder will explode if compressed. Black powder needs to be compressed in order to shoot good in either cartridges or muzzle loaders. I load BP in 45-70 and I have a compression die that I used to compress the powder about 1/10 of an inch before seating the bullet onto it. Any air space between powder and bullet will usually bust a barrel. What I think is the mix up is yes black powder can explode if it is concussively compressed like hitting a can of it with a large heavy object. If there was 10,000 rounds involved I would bet that it was not Black Powder. The ignorant media thinks because smokeless gun powder is black that it is black powder.

Back