300 bee loads

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
buddy just bought a mark 5 in 300 bee. starting loads and whats the brass life expectany?

Depends on chamber dimensions and how hot the loads are. As with all loads, loading hot is sure to stretch the primer pockets pretty quickly.

78 grains of H-4831 , with 180 gr bullet. Neck sizing will get 6 or 8 depending how much more powder you stuff in. Best bullet for elk or bigger is a good quality 200 grain bullet. Several here will have some good info for you.

I contacted Accurate Powder several years ago about MagPro in the 300 WBY.
Here is what they sent back...

Caliber: .300 Weatherby Magnum.
Barrel: 26”
Powder: Accurate – MAGPRO®.
Bullet weight: 150 grain
Start load: 83.7 grains (3100 -3200 Fps)
Maxi mum load: 93.0 grains (3475 – 3525 Fps) LD ca 100%

Bullet weight: 165/168 grain
Start load: 85.0 grains (ca 3075 Fps)
Maximum load: 89.0 grains (ca 3400 Fps) LD ca 98%

Bullet weight: 180 grain
Start load: 76.0 grains (ca 2900 Fps)
Maximum load: 85.0 grains (ca 3200 Fps) LD ca 97%

Bullet weight: 200 grain
Start load: 73.0 grains (ca 2700 Fps)
Maximum load: 82.0 grains (ca 3050 Fps)

My own data : 180 gr AccuBond 82.0grs MagPro 3033 fps
200 gr AccuBond 81.0 grs MagPro 2837 fps

Never loaded more than those charges because accuracy was good and recoil was getting ferocious...

82-83 grains of 7828SSC and a 200 grain Partition in Norma brass with a CCI250 shoot very small groups for me out of my sons MK5.

I shoot 180 Barnes with 7828 SSC. I can't find a combination that doesn't work well.

300 weatherby 200 grain Partition 81 grains with tub dust Imr 7828 sc distance 100 yards. Mark v action with. 26” new krieger barrel. 3040 FPS who’s says seconds aren’t as good as firsts. Holy crap on a cracker.

Attachments

• 2F04ADC7-FB44-4F0A-9749-DAC28502A438.jpeg
    2F04ADC7-FB44-4F0A-9749-DAC28502A438.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 904
1MKtvfFh.jpg

3IngtCrh.jpg

anybody load worked brass? Neck turn, expander mandrel, FL bushing dies, bench rest seaters?

slickrem":8afxd65m said:
anybody load worked brass? Neck turn, expander mandrel, FL bushing dies, bench rest seaters?
Define "worked brass."

I have loaded brass I bought from others that was allegedly once fired.
It all gets cleaned in the wet tumbler after the primer pockets are trued.
All get annealed.
Willis collet die for the body and a body die to bump the shoulder.
Some I use a Lee collet die to size the neck, others I use a neck bushing die. For the $, the Lee collet sure does work well.

Dr. Vette":2cwcw3q1 said:
slickrem":2cwcw3q1 said:
Define "worked brass."

All get annealed.
Some I use a Lee collet die to size the neck, others I use a neck bushing die. For the $, the Lee collet sure does work well.

You don't neck turn ? You went from a Lee to a neck bushing die ?

I don’t turn neck but I use a few bushing dies and the. An expander mandrel for the neck tension I want. Works like a champ.

I believe I’d quit hand loading were neck turning a necessity.

.30-06 .....I used a expander mandrel without neck turning, 1/2" group@100, neck turned/expander mandrel, almost one hole group @ 100. What can I say.

I already neck turned for the 300, guess I should just try non turned necks along with it.

To the OP, sorry high jacking your thread.

slickrem":3jybur93 said:
Dr. Vette":3jybur93 said:
slickrem":3jybur93 said:
Define "worked brass."

All get annealed.

You don't neck turn ? You went from a Lee to a neck bushing die ?

Nope, never neck turn. I think it's a waste of time for hunting rifles.

Both the bushing and the Lee work well to size a neck, they just work differently. Once I start with one process for a rifle I tend to stay with that.

Neck turning made a 1/2 inch group turn into a almost one hole. Practical hunting shots don't require that kind of accuracy, typically, however... It's just nice to see the improvement.

Back