BLR 257 Roberts.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Trying to come up with scope bases locally for this rifle. Couldn't wait any longer to try it so tested it with the buckhorn sights that are on it. Neighbor borrowed me a 257R die set.

Loaded up some of the 115gr Partitions I got off SPS with IMR 4350. Loaded at 2.785 they are .030 off the lands.

Loaded 1 at 39 gr, 1 at 40, 1 at 41, then 41.5, 42, 42.5, and 43. Just shot here at the house at 40 yds over the hood of my truck....propped in the front, sandbag under the rear.

It's not gonna be a sprayer for sure.

Easier to see on the cardboard backer i had the paper stapled to. 3 shots in the middle measure .388 and were charges 39-41.

3 shots up top measure .278 and were charges 41.5, 42, and 43. The low shot was charge weight 42.5 which I'm gonna consider an anomaly and my shooting since 43 went back in with the other 2.

Granted only 40 yds but also open sights. I believe she's gonna shoot.

That is some fine shooting. As is, it's going to be a great deer rifle. A VX-3 2.5-8x36mm would make it an awesome deer rifle.

JD338

I do believe you are going to love that rifle. It does appear as if it wants to shoot.

First time out of the gate looks like a winner. Once scoped that will be a hoot to shoot. Have fun. Dan.

Thanks guys, I believe it's gonna work out fine and be accurate enough for sure to suit me. I view this rifle as a woods rifle so if it produces at or under an inch at 100 from a lever gun I'll be happy and it certainly appears to be showing it should be able to do that.

JD, that's the scope I'd like to end up with.......that or the VX-3 2-7. Will probably wear a Sig Sauer 2-7 for now when I get the bases for it. I like the Sig scope what little I used it, the larger rear ocular it has doesn't do much for me on smaller rifles like this, but we'll see.

Got stiff and sticky extraction on the 43 gr load so will try around the 42-42.5 charge. Nosler was only showing 40 gr's as max, Hodgdon was showing 45.5. Quite a difference but Nosler is only loaded a 2.750, and Hodgdon is using a length of 2.890 with this bullet, which could be the difference being kept out of the case body.

Very nice, that 257 Roberts in a BLR is a rare bird.. You got a heckuva good score.

JD338":xo4howb3 said:
That is some fine shooting. As is, it's going to be a great deer rifle. A VX-3 2.5-8x36mm would make it an awesome deer rifle.

JD338

That 2.5-8x Leupold is a mighty fine scope - the first model was highly regarded by the most awesome Finn Aagaard... (Look him up if you're not familiar) I had one, traded it away along with a 300 Win Mag rifle I wasn't using much. REALLY should have kept the scope. Sigh...

ShadeTree - I like those groups! Yes, they're only 40 yards, but they show terrific potential. Put a decent scope on it (I'm partial to fixed 6x scopes for my general purpose hunting rifles), load up those 115's and fill tags. :)

Congrats on a project that's going well so far.

Guy

I don't know...
Looks like a jack handle no one would want to own, let alone shoot! You should send it out of country so no one sees you hunting with it...I can hide it the wilds of northern BC for you! LOL

All kidding aside, looks like a winner!
I will second the addition of a VX-3 2.5-8 on it, and would recommend one with the B&C reticle for those instances where you may need to stretch out on a target in the wide open.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Well all except Gil's first one. Me thinks he's trying to swindle me out of my rifle. Lol.

I like the looks of the VX-3 and will likely take the advice given and try one. I need to quit buying guns so I have enough pocket cash to scope them the way I'd like. But on the other hand what good does scopes do you if you miss out on a great opportunity on a rifle because you're short on pocket cash. Gonna have to sell more sweet corn this summer. Ha.

I'm going to revisit that 43 gr charge just for my own satisfaction. I'm using fired brass not fired in this rifle. Could've been a piece of brass that was a little tight to start with. All other indicators don't show a hint of pressure. Primer got plenty of room to fill out yet, nice round outer edge, no marks on case head, etc.

43 is 2.5 gr's less than Hodgdon's max, 2.5 gr's more than Nosler. 5 grains is a huge swing on a smaller capacity case. Not sure what to think of that big of a discrepancy. I want to double check where the rifle is telling me is the back off charge.

Blkram":1zniyvkd said:
I don't know...
Looks like a jack handle no one would want to own, let alone shoot! You should send it out of country so no one sees you hunting with it...I can hide it the wilds of northern BC for you! LOL

All kidding aside, looks like a winner!
I will second the addition of a VX-3 2.5-8 on it, and would recommend one with the B&C reticle for those instances where you may need to stretch out on a target in the wide open.

Ha! That’s a great idea but good luck finding one Gil. Leupold in their huge wisdom seems to keep getting rid of things that work well.

ShadeTree":b4xoc0rx said:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Well all except Gil's first one. Me thinks he's trying to swindle me out of my rifle. Lol.

I like the looks of the VX-3 and will likely take the advice given and try one. I need to quit buying guns so I have enough pocket cash to scope them the way I'd like. But on the other hand what good does scopes do you if you miss out on a great opportunity on a rifle because you're short on pocket cash. Gonna have to sell more sweet corn this summer. Ha.

I'm going to revisit that 43 gr charge just for my own satisfaction. I'm using fired brass not fired in this rifle. Could've been a piece of brass that was a little tight to start with. All other indicators don't show a hint of pressure. Primer got plenty of room to fill out yet, nice round outer edge, no marks on case head, etc.

43 is 2.5 gr's less than Hodgdon's max, 2.5 gr's more than Nosler. 5 grains is a huge swing on a smaller capacity case. Not sure what to think of that big of a discrepancy. I want to double check where the rifle is telling me is the back off charge.

What’s the chrono say?

SJB358":280ztaje said:
ShadeTree":280ztaje said:

What’s the chrono say?

The 43 charge was right at 2700 both on that day and today when I tested it. I think it was a rogue case that was tight to start with, and it's fine. Today I went 43, 43.5, and 44 with no problem. I would pull the hammer back after firing so that I could feel anything and everything when moving the lever to eject the case. It was like the Dierks Bentley song.....free and easy down the road I go. (y) :grin:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42208

"Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Well all except Gil's first one. Me thinks he's trying to swindle me out of my rifle. Lol."

Me...swindle...NEVER!!! LOL
I'm just trying to help out a fellow rifle loonie in a bit of a pickle! Glad to hear that it shoots so well.

Seems I have a spare VX-3 2.5-8 (albeit with duplex reticle) that needs a new rifle to be at home on.
I guess I will have to just hang on to it until you get bored with that BLR and decide you need a little of that pocket cash for another project...like scoping that 257AI. (so much easier to import firearms and related gear into Canada than to export to the USA)
Let me know whenever that occurs...unless I get lucky and come across one in my travels too!

Blkram":15uxx0t7 said:
"Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Well all except Gil's first one. Me thinks he's trying to swindle me out of my rifle. Lol."

Me...swindle...NEVER!!! LOL
I'm just trying to help out a fellow rifle loonie in a bit of a pickle! Glad to hear that it shoots so well.

Seems I have a spare VX-3 2.5-8 (albeit with duplex reticle) that needs a new rifle to be at home on.
I guess I will have to just hang on to it until you get bored with that BLR and decide you need a little of that pocket cash for another project...like scoping that 257AI. (so much easier to import firearms and related gear into Canada than to export to the USA)
Let me know whenever that occurs...unless I get lucky and come across one in my travels too!

Ha! Can't hold it against ya, I've got a few here myself I talked somebody out of. :grin:

Back