Remington Sportsman 78

DrMike":23bny64n said:
You'll be fine with a 22 inch barrel. It'll definitely be more convenient than a longer barrel when toting the rifle through bush.
I fully agree with you there DrMike!

With the new powders, 22 inches is plenty long enough.

Does Varget work well in the .35 Whelen?

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":1fami8h9 said:
SJB358":1fami8h9 said:
Today, with the powders used I wouldn’t want a Whelen with much longer than a 22” barrel myself. The powders used are relatively fast and with be larger bore, work great from the shorter barrels. I’d bet you’ll get more speed than your body wants to absorb for too much shooting.
With your testing in other calibers Scotty, I believe you’re right.
Did you do any StaBall 6.5 testing in your Whelen?

Hawk

No, I sure haven’t. I think it’s a little too slow for the Whelen but I could be wrong. I have a lot of PP2000 I plan to try eventually. Right now I’m stuck on 200 TTSXs and 8208 at 2900.

Oh and Varget is real good as well. Whichever you have the most of from 4064 up through RL17 works well depending on bullet weight.

"I was wondering what you all think about just using the 225 gr AccuBond or TSX as the only bullet?"

I've gone to the 225 gr. TSX as my go to bullet in my .35 Whelen. I get 2710 FPS using Remington brass, Winchester primer and 60.4 gr. RL17. Caution: Absolute maximum in my rifle. Load is too hot for a Remington 700 Classic and Ruger M77 that I have. My barrel is 24". I believe 2600 is possible with 22" barrel. I have taken elk out to 350 yards with that load/rifle combo.
Paul B.

SJB358":11dscvxp said:
HAWKEYESATX":11dscvxp said:
SJB358":11dscvxp said:
Today, with the powders used I wouldn’t want a Whelen with much longer than a 22” barrel myself. The powders used are relatively fast and with be larger bore, work great from the shorter barrels. I’d bet you’ll get more speed than your body wants to absorb for too much shooting.
With your testing in other calibers Scotty, I believe you’re right.
Did you do any StaBall 6.5 testing in your Whelen?

Hawk

No, I sure haven’t. I think it’s a little too slow for the Whelen but I could be wrong. I have a lot of PP2000 I plan to try eventually. Right now I’m stuck on 200 TTSXs and 8208 at 2900.

Holy Cow! Scottie!
That’s smoking for a 35 Whelen!
The 200 gr TTSX is more than capable of taking any game on this Continent.
What rate of twist do you have in your Ruger?
Holy Smoke! 2900 fps! Whew!!
I have 4064, H4350, IMR 7828, H335, RL 22, and RL26 on hand, oh and H4189.

Hawk

PJGunner":3maljkkx said:
"I was wondering what you all think about just using the 225 gr AccuBond or TSX as the only bullet?"

I've gone to the 225 gr. TSX as my go to bullet in my .35 Whelen. I get 2710 FPS using Remington brass, Winchester primer and 60.4 gr. RL17. Caution: Absolute maximum in my rifle. Load is too hot for a Remington 700 Classic and Ruger M77 that I have. My barrel is 24". I believe 2600 is possible with 22" barrel. I have taken elk out to 350 yards with that load/rifle combo.
Paul B.
Now that’s what I like to see right there Paul!
I can certainly get within 350 yds of a game animal!

Thank you for sharing.

Hawk

I think this Ruger is a 1-12 or 14.. If I had to pick it would be a 1-10. Just no reason not to do it.

SJB358":3ovxqbnw said:
I think this Ruger is a 1-12 or 14.. If I had to pick it would be a 1-10. Just no reason not to do it.
A 1-10 twist will stabilize the heaviest projectiles. How well does it stabilize the lighter projectiles?
What’s the heaviest .35 cal bullet that I would be able to shoot?

Hawk

If it stabilizes the heaviest it’ll stabilize the shortest just fine as well Hawk. Worrying about over spinning today’s Bullets is a hold over from years ago when Bullets weren’t well balanced.

Spin them and let them impress you.

Hawk,
Just for the record, I've got a 700 Classic 35 Whelen with a 22" 1:16" twist barrel. I'm getting 2580 fps and sub MOA accuracy with the 250 gr PT. The 1:16 twist has by fine for bullets weighing 200-250 grs. but I would go with a quicker twist if I had the option to ensure stabilization of 300 gr bullets should you choose to go with the heavyweights. The Speer 250 gr Hot Core is very close to the 250 gr PT which offers an economical option for target shooting or hunting.

JD338

SJB358":37lf7cm8 said:
If it stabilizes the heaviest it’ll stabilize the shortest just fine as well Hawk. Worrying about over spinning today’s Bullets is a hold over from years ago when Bullets weren’t well balanced.

Spin them and let them impress you.
Thank you for your advice.
I am definitely going to get the 1-10 twist!
I forget sometimes that bullets are much better made nowadays, than of yesteryear.
I really like the Barnes 200 gr TTSX, and the Nosler 225 gr AccuBond, and they are outstanding bullets.
But, with a faster twist, I am looking forward to shooting them as well.

Hawk

JD338":2eyazfeu said:
Hawk,
Just for the record, I've got a 700 Classic 35 Whelen with a 22" 1:16" twist barrel. I'm getting 2580 fps and sub MOA accuracy with the 250 gr PT. The 1:16 twist has by fine for bullets weighing 200-250 grs. but I would go with a quicker twist if I had the option to ensure stabilization of 300 gr bullets should you choose to go with the heavyweights. The Speer 250 gr Hot Core is very close to the 250 gr PT which offers an economical option for target shooting or hunting.

JD338
Thank you for your advice, too!
You and Scottie have been fountains of knowledge about the 35 Whelen, and many other rifles and calibers.
I will certainly be going with the 1-10 twist, so I can lob those 300 grainers in on unsuspecting prey!
What kinda velocity do they get?
I know that the 200 - 225 grs can get to 2800 - 2900 fps.
Please impart your knowledge about velocities with the heavy bullets.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":w758pidh said:
JD338":w758pidh said:
Hawk,

JD338
You and Scottie have been fountains of knowledge about the 35 Whelen, and many other rifles and calibers.
I will certainly be going with the 1-10 twist, so I can lob those 300 grainers in on unsuspecting prey!

Hawk

Hawk,
I've had my Whelen since 1988 when Remington introduced in in the Classic series. I've never shot heavier than 250 grs. IMHO, the 250 gr PT at 2500-2600 fps will handle everything from mice to moose. They open up nicely on WT deer and offer very deep penetration on elk and moose. Here is last year's buck taken with the 35 Whelen and a 250 gr PT. DRT

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_181017370.jpg
    IMG_20201124_181017370.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 256
JD338":1nl6i0ag said:
HAWKEYESATX":1nl6i0ag said:
JD338":1nl6i0ag said:
Hawk,

JD338

Hawk

Hawk,
I've had my Whelen since 1988 when Remington introduced in in the Classic series. I've never shot heavier than 250 grs. IMHO, the 250 gr PT at 2500-2600 fps will handle everything from mice to moose. They open up nicely on WT deer and offer very deep penetration on elk and moose. Here is last year's buck taken with the 35 Whelen and a 250 gr PT. DRT

JD338
That’s a great pic!
I certainly can’t argue with success.

Hawk

A 1-10 twist will stabilize the heaviest projectiles. How well does it stabilize the lighter projectiles?
What’s the heaviest .35 cal bullet that I would be able to shoot?

Hawk
A 1 in 12 would stabilize pretty much anything but I agree with Scotty there are no downsides with a faster twist. Did you go ahead with this @HAWKEYESATX? Those Remington 78's were very nice rifles.

HAWK,

I can attest to the JES rebore. I bought a nice 700ADL 30-06 and sent just the barreled action with bolt by FedEx to JES and per his instructions included a postal money order and a short note with what I wanted it to be rebored to inside the box. I opted for a 338-06 due to bullet availability and just for something different. I went with a 3 groove and 1 in 10 twist because that's what JES recommended. In about 3 weeks I had the gun returned directly to me via USPS. The cost for return shipping was included in his price. I had my dad bed the action and put a Triggertech trigger on it and then had the butt plate replaced with a nice Pachmyer pad. I mounted optics and began load development. Since then it's been very accurate and I've had a great time shooting / hunting deer with it.

Regardless of what you choose, you can rest assured with confidence that JES will do a great job and you'll have basically a new rifle for about half the cost of rebarrelling an action.

Mod 78s are solid, early Remington well done rifles! I've a few made into semi-customs for decades! In my Mod 700 Classic ( 35 W.A.I.) I usedthe top loads listed in barnes #1 Load manual; 53.5 br /2015/250 X and later the 58/H322/200X. I got outstanding speeds with both ( and top pressure, but had zero problems with my brass for over 20 yrs!) 2600/250x and 2970/200X. Ten yrs later I used the same 58/H322/200 TTSX for 2950. That 35 Whelen ( I just like the Ackley, no real reason) "ruined" me for everything else, because it "did everything else the rest did" up to 250yds!!! hard to beat a mild Medium here in America! :)

Back