Hornady Handheld Priming Tool

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Treated myself to a new handheld priming tool recently. Chose the Hornady, and wow! This thing is nice! Easy to use. Comfortable. Works perfectly. Can't ask for more than that.

2EeSNw2l.jpg

Regards, Guy

Very nice. I’ve been using the RCBS’s for a few years now and man, I remember the days of doing it on the press. Glad I gave that up.

The concept is very good. I've had two of the RCBS hand tools and two of the Lee tools. All worked well. Would imagine that this works at least as well. Good move for anyone who does any hand loading at all.

SJB358":2uv5b6t5 said:
Very nice. I’ve been using the RCBS’s for a few years now and man, I remember the days of doing it on the press. Glad I gave that up.

If it's the universal tool, that's what I use also. Had it for about 5 yrs now. If I remember correctly it was about $50 at the time. Well worth it, wouldn't want to be without it.

Yup. That’s the one. I use the universal for LR and another RCBS one for small stuff.

I’ve got RCBS and a new Lee. Looks super easy to swap the LR vs SR.
Basically it’s a drop in cassette now ..

Haven’t tried it yet.

My Redding BossII press was a dream fir setting primers.. small batches I used the press, larger ones I’d get out the hand primer.

Hornady makes lots of nifty tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using the Hornady for years , works like it should. There is one little catch with it , the priming punch doesn’t fit through some different brands of shell holders.

Guy that looks like a nice primer tool. Have used Lee, RCBS and now Frankford Arsenal. With the FA you can adjust the seating depth which is a nice feature. Wore a Lee out during my earlier years of reloading. Whichever one used handing priming is the way to go for me. Dan.

I have been using the RCBS hand priming tool for years, and yes it beats using the press to prime your brass. It helps tremendously, its faster and easier.

RL338":srms0o9w said:
I’ve been using the Hornady for years , works like it should. There is one little catch with it , the priming punch doesn’t fit through some different brands of shell holders.
FYI, when I upgraded my RCBS hand primer, I had trouble with some RCBS shell holders not letting the plunger travel. I called RCBS and they replaced all those shell holders no charge. I think it was 6 holders.

Still, when I bought the Hornady neck turning tool, I needed Hornady shell holders. I couldn’t get Lee or RCBS or Redding shell holders to work with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well looks like I'm in the market for a new priming tool. Ive used the Lee both hand held then the bench model, both haven't had any issues. But tonight i was trying to load some 6br lapua brass and i had to force the shell in and out of the holder. I may see if i can find a new lee shell holder first and see if it's any better.

Right after I joined the forum DrMike gifted me an old RCBS priming tool he replaced with the newer universal tool and have been using it every since.
I do occasionally prime on a Dillon press that has a priming tool attachment.
For the most part I use the gifted RCBS case primer since it is a pain to set up the Dillon unless I'm loading a large batch of pistol ammo.
Thanks again DrMike for the gift it sure has come in handy.

Great purchase Guy. I use the new LEE priming tool and really like it. You can feel when the primer bottoms out in the primer pocket better with handhelds than with a press. It’s also easier to feel loose primer pockets.

I bought the full shell holder kit at the same time. I’m glad I did. It’s fast, easy, and covers all cartridges. Your Hornady model looks like it works pretty much like my LEE. It’ll save you a ton of time. I dare say you’ll like yours as well.

Oh ya, I've worn out a couple of those Lee hand priming tools. :) And still have two, but one of them is getting ready for the trash bin I fear. Also have the RCBS hand priming tool, it's been more troublesome, but is perking along fairly well.

I figured that with one Lee about to wear out, and the RCBS acting finicky, it was time for something new and different. That's why I picked up the Hornady tool - and it's working awfully well. Maybe just because it's new? Great ergonomics, comfortable to use. Seats the primers well. I like it.

Guy

Guy Miner":1pvugfto said:
Oh ya, I've worn out a couple of those Lee hand priming tools. :) And still have two, but one of them is getting ready for the trash bin I fear. Also have the RCBS hand priming tool, it's been more troublesome, but is perking along fairly well.

I figured that with one Lee about to wear out, and the RCBS acting finicky, it was time for something new and different. That's why I picked up the Hornady tool - and it's working awfully well. Maybe just because it's new? Great ergonomics, comfortable to use. Seats the primers well. I like it.

Guy
Hey Guy, I'm curious on what troubles you may have encountered with the RCBS tool. I have used this tool since I quit using the press priming , let's say, 20 years ago. I maybe have worn out my RCBS tool quite bit, the only issue I have encountered was to center the shellholder with those plastic inserts so the primer can center right in the flash hole but wasn't much of an issue. It's all I can remember. Pretty soon I like to upgrade. :grin:

The "rod" that pushes the primer was too long. I had to shorten it to get it to work right, and it just seems real clunky to change shell holders on.

When it gets going, it works pretty good. I used to reserve it for only my 300 WSM, but I sold that rifle, so it's kinda looking for a job now. :)

Guy

Back