6mm Remington, switching powders

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Wow - for about 20 years or so I've been using Reloader 22 with the 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, and also the 100 gr Nosler Partition, for the little 6mm Remington.

RL-22 was one powder I was low on when this shortage crept up on us - and that already affected my loading with the 7mm Remington Magnum. I switched to IMR 8133. Am happy with my results with that.

Looking at alternatives for the 6mm Remington, the only good looking choice I have on hand is H4350, and I do have rather a lot of that. 40 years ago I used IMR 4350 almost exclusively in the little 6mm Rem, and it did fine. Looks like I'm back to Hodgdon's version, H4350.

I also have some Ramshot Hunter here, three or four pounds. I wonder if it would work well? Hmm, Ramshot shows some promising loads for the 95 & 100 grain bullets with it... Well, well, well.... :grin:

Guy

The recent shortages have impacted all of us in one way or another. Good luck with working up your new load. You’ll make short work of it, I have no doubt.

Dr. Vette":1lorrigm said:
I use RL-19 in mine with the 95gr NBT bullet.
Works great.
Very very close burning rate as Hunter.

Worth a try for sure.

I have had very good results in a couple of 6mm Remingtons with Hunter and Superformance.

I totally understand your powder situation, but in some ways it's worse to be short projectiles.
In my rifles I have found that IMR 4451, RL-23, and IMR 7828 all perform well from both the accuracy and velocity perspective with 90-100 grain bullets. 7828 really surprised me with 100 grain bullets as I thought it was going to burn too slow for a 22" barrel. But it actually surpassed both of the 4831 variants for accuracy and velocity.

Guy like you IMR4350 is a constant in two 6mm's in our family. The load in my son's 6mm Ruger is with H100V which has worked very well. He shoots the 90 gr. E-tip. Deer, antelope, and elk have all fallen to the E-tip, one shot!

Guy like you IMR4350 is a constant in two 6mm's in our family. The load in my son's 6mm Ruger is with H100V which has worked very well. He shoots the 90 gr. E-tip. Deer, antelope, and elk have all fallen to the E-tip, one shot!

Hmm, first range session with the 6mm cartridges using Ramshot Hunter today.

Nice group, didn't chronograph it. I think I'm going to bump up the powder charge a bit. It's showing promise though I only shot a single 4-shot group.

Guy

43.5grs of IMR-4350 is really hard to beat in the 6mm with 100gr bullets.It also worked for the 105gr Speer too.

I used to load IMR 4350 in this rifle, back in the 1970's & 1980's. It worked great, and I remember those wonderful old 105 gr Speer bullets too! I don't think they're in production anymore are they?

(y)

I have had Hunter on the shelf for awhile. Never used much that I can remember. Heard nothing but great stuff about it though. I have a little 250 Savage it might work well in with 110-115 grain bullets..

Sounds like it is working well in your old 6mm though.

Scotty - we got out with the 6mm & 25-06 rifles again this morning. I'd bumped up the 6mm load to Ramshot's max of 46.9 - and it worked splendidly from the old rifle. (y)

No chronograph today, but it's got to be right around 3,000 fps, like the old RL-22 load was for many years.

The young fellow is happy with the load. I'm happy with the load. I'll be building him 50 cartridges for practice and hunting this season.

Guy

Guy Miner":3i5h6jcv said:
Scotty - we got out with the 6mm & 25-06 rifles again this morning. I'd bumped up the 6mm load to Ramshot's max of 46.9 - and it worked splendidly from the old rifle. (y)

No chronograph today, but it's got to be right around 3,000 fps, like the old RL-22 load was for many years.

The young fellow is happy with the load. I'm happy with the load. I'll be building him 50 cartridges for practice and hunting this season.

Guy

Nice. I ALMOST tried to grab a Model 725 in 244 Remington but caved in a Ruger 250 Savage but man, when the right 725 comes along I’ll nab one.

95 BTs and 243’s have killed a lot of deer for me and my family. Anyone that hasn’t tried it will never believe how well it works.

Ridge_Runner":3q7pxh0s said:
I run IMR 4831 behind a 95 gr ballistic tip, shoots very well!
RR

Isn't that little rascal just one heck of a bullet? Fast, accurate & lethal.

(y)

Ruger 6mm, one of the 2 loads it likes is 95 Ballistic tip over a max load of Hodgdon 100V. That gun is stupid accurate with that load.

Back