New Brass and barrel

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
I am going to be loading new unfired brass for a rifle with a new barrel. Between breaking in the barrel and the new brass, I assume it is not worth doing any sort of load work up. The data is showing charge weight between 26.5 & 29.5gr, I was thinking about loading 27gr, is there any reason the go lower(other than pressure signs) or higher?
Will be a 6mmBR - Lapua brass, 70gr nos BT, and Accurate LT-32 powder
thanks

I find seating depth at minimum powder charge and virgin brass . then I have fired brass to start working powder charge .

I would do a medium charge with fast burning powder, don't know how fast LT-32 is. Individual cases are inconsistent and I've had the headspace measuring differently.

jimbires":2g8xdexf said:
I find seating depth at minimum powder charge and virgin brass . then I have fired brass to start working powder charge .

Echo his way here Slim..

I will also find my powder node with new brass. Once I have a node with that the unfired brass is near the same spot and sometimes overlapping.

I don’t break barrels in myself so I’m no help there.

Being overly cautious, I’d have no qualms with putting a few with the minimum load down the barrel first. Most likely, no need but since it’s new, there’s no reason not to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may be pleasantly surprised with loads you can work up using new unfired brass. Don’t waste components and work up a load as you would with once fired brass. Just my opinion.

That last part didn’t come out as intended. I should have said conserve components instead of waste. If you’re enjoying your time and hobby it’s never a waste. I misspoke.

I still always start with the starting load. Sometimes I am surprised how well they shoot. Sometimes not, but it just takes a few on the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back