3006 180gn Hornady I’lock RN over 60.4 gn of enduron 4955

Just the update after talking to Brad at Hornady Tech support.

He confirmed two things.

1) interlocks, should keep opening down to 1800 FPS… that’s were expansion slows down a lot.

2) old interlocks and new interlocks… no difference. Technology in the bullet is unchanged for decades.

Than you again to all who helped me learn something this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvbuckbuster":2ujmnava said:
I'd take your load hunting without any worries. Departed friend of mine used Rem 180gr RN CL in a 308 Win Rem 760 carbine 18.5 in barrel and never had any trouble collecting deer. Dan.
Remington 180gr RNCL in 30-06 was all my departed uncle and cousin used in Rem 742’s for WV deer and bear. They gave a lot of deer and a few bears lead poisoning through the years. A 180gr round nose will work. I think many have thicker jackets than the Hornady. Seems like I saw some sectioned and was surprised at how stout certain ones were, the CL being one.

Load a few at 2000 fps and send them into some water jugs.

Joec7651":5xadfzab said:
wvbuckbuster":5xadfzab said:
I'd take your load hunting without any worries. Departed friend of mine used Rem 180gr RN CL in a 308 Win Rem 760 carbine 18.5 in barrel and never had any trouble collecting deer. Dan.
Remington 180gr RNCL in 30-06 was all my departed uncle and cousin used in Rem 742’s for WV deer and bear. They gave a lot of deer and a few bears lead poisoning through the years. A 180gr round nose will work. I think many have thicker jackets than the Hornady. Seems like I saw some sectioned and was surprised at how stout certain ones were, the CL being one.

That's still the preferred ammo for Hal Blood and crew who regularly take a pretty good pile of northern bucks via tracking.

So on the same theme, IMR 4955 and this time Sierra Pro Hunter 180 RN, the same load that the interlocks liked, well, the SPH liked them more.

I’m hesitant to post as I’m having trouble believing I shot this group. Yes,lead sled. The white background was big, 3’x4’.
Back of old calendars from work. All other powder levels were under 1.25”.
IMR4955 is quickly moving up in my list of favs. If I recall right, it’s supposed to be similar to H4831.
6f24d3c04f49f9933a12a2edf3914048.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":2906un7e said:
So on the same theme, IMR 4955 and this time Sierra Pro Hunter 180 RN, the same load that the interlocks liked, well, the SPH liked them more.

I’m hesitant to post as I’m having trouble believing I shot this group. Yes,lead sled. The white background was big, 3’x4’.
IMR4955 is quickly moving up in my list of favs. If I recall right, it’s supposed to be similar to H4831.

So, are 30 calibre pencils hard to find in your AO?

Seriously fine shooting. Oh, yeah, that merits bragging rights for you!

DrMike":3bcnn83e said:
mjcmichigan":3bcnn83e said:

So, are 30 calibre pencils hard to find in your AO?

Seriously fine shooting. Oh, yeah, that merits bragging rights for you!

I'd be fighting mad if all I could find was 1 outta the 3 shots I took... I guess folks have different standards... :mrgreen:

Looks like you found your load.
Nice shooting!

JD338

You guys had me laughing. Thank you. I needed that.

I cleaned the gun, ran a three shot group and put it away for the trip to Ontario.

This is very pleasing. Made excellent scope adjustments after the last session.

5e9ff836ecb6bd9c6225c65b8ac3ddf7.jpg

You can see my white tape truck and using the same target.

Looks like that would be a fantastic black bear load! Kind of agree with everyone else, I would suspect that bullet to perform down to 1800 fps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Ontario Black Bears are in deep dark trouble.
Hope you tie into a big bruin Mark.

JD338

5cccd8a3bd47e070a2a1d668e50bac77.jpg

e5b394ca2b2674a47bbb1d8204718e3c.jpg

Here’s one of the bears we’ve been seeing for 6 or 7 years…
No hunters have seen him live.. and he magically disappears a 3-5 days before season opens….hoping after no hunting in 2020… maybe he’ll get sloppy and step in front of my son or I. I think we’re the only 2 hunting that unit this year. In this pair, he came in twice, once early, once late, have seen pictures of him at noon too..anyways..I dream about getting a cinnamon bear…every since I saw a honey colored one.

The outfitter has a satellite link to the outside world..so I just get a couple teaser pictures from time to time…Fly in hunt…

Should be a fun break from work.

Can't see that you will have any problem should that bruin step out of the dark woods in front of you or your son. We're all pulling for you.

Good luck on your hunts, and really good shooting! Great load it looks like for 180 gr bullets. That PH should be a tougher and more reliable bullet on a big old bear up close. Good job all the way around.

Haven’t yet.

I replaced my magneto speed and the new one is struggling. Misses most shots. (Flood claimed old one.. ). I was shooting mostly 4000fps+ with Vmax in a 22-250, hoping it does better with 30 caliber.

I did not have any trouble with the old one. At this point, I’m packing for the hunt. Won’t shoot that rifle and load until it’s go time. Zero’d for cold bore.
This gun tends to be fast with most loads. Can’t recall a load that came in under predicted.

Chrono’d the 220gn pro hunter RN over RL26 and chrono’d 2730fps… that’s 40fps over the QL forecast. It was Moa+. For most my hunts, SubMOA not required. I finished off my 220 SPH RN in sons 300 WSM.

Back