Savage 111 New Project Rifle Turning into 35 Whelen

lhsako":hjlif5hq said:
HAWKEYESATX":hjlif5hq said:
Howdy all!

I finally got around to trading for a Savage 111 in .270 Win, but she’s not going to stay in that caliber. As you might have noticed above, I’m going to switch her barrel out for either an ER Shaw 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist, stainless barrel kit on Midway USA website, or get a Shilen barrel in the same 35 Whelen.

As some on here have known, I’ve been bit by the 35 Whelen bug, yet again, and am now going to cure that bite by making this rifle into a long awaited 35 Whelen.

Do any of you think I should have the barrel threaded, and put a muzzle brake on, or do you think the rifle will be heavy enough as is?

Anything else I should do, if anyone else can think of something?

Hawk
a5348ffae0f5a4d222565a2bd500e4bd.jpg

d9ad82e2645b0fca2aa7905e0b486ddf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No on the brake. Have you looked at Brux or bartlien barrels?
No, sorry.
I have a limited amount of cash each month.
Sorry for the late response.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":156zuidh said:
Ok!!!

So I’ve found a barrel switch kit that is $206 for a .338-06!
The barrel switch kit for 35 Whelen is $239!
The .338-06 barrel has a 1 in 10 inch twist.
The 35 Whelen has the 1 in 14.

I’m now thinking.338-06 due to handling heavier bullets, and better BC, and SD. Plus, there seems to be a plethora of .338 around as well.

What would everyone else pick?

Hawk
>338 ! Look at the bullet choices.....

UPDATE:

Finally got around to getting all of the right tools together to swap out the .270 Win barrel for the .35 Whelen barrel. It took some elbow grease to get the old barrel off, but finally did.
The .35 Whelen barrel fit like a glove, so I didn’t have to do anything to fit it.
The only thing that threw me a little was the headspacing gauges, and getting just the right amount of turns to get the bolt to turn down smoothly on the “GO” gauge, and yet not have the bolt close all the way on the “NO GO” gauge. But, I finally got it right! PHEW!!
Now all I have to do is open up the barrel channel to allow the Magnum contour barrel to fit in correctly. That’s going to be the easier part out of the job than loosening the old barrel and getting the headspace down.
I already got dies for .35 Whelen, and just need, now, .358 rifle bullets. But that’s for another day!!

Oh, by the way! While taking the old barrel off, I somehow broke the black slotted trigger while trying to torque off the barrel.
Just a word of warning for future amateur gunsmiths out there.

Hawk

6b9ef198189f53c0de076195d153575f.jpg

5934daa6b246369d1a6f1c3eacc8f2f0.jpg

That looks good and you can say I did it myself. Hope you get bullets and load worked up soon. Dan.

Looks great hawk. You are almost there.
What bullet are you wanting to try first?

JD338

JD338":22zcskl4 said:
Looks great hawk. You are almost there.
What bullet are you wanting to try first?

JD338
Thank you!!

I’m thinking any bullet 200 - 225 grs. at first.
But if I find a good deal on 250’s, I won’t pass them up.

Hawk

Howdy! All!

Here is the final product.
I got around to inletting the stock to fit the magnum contour barrel, fully free floated.

Hawk
5565665820ffb3bd1a92d8415b19b532.jpg

01b7f297ef6ee24ebada634073ebd9b1.jpg

cloverleaf":2lol6xut said:
Cool! Look forward to the details of your loads and optics etc. Enjoy! CL
I already have my dies, and I have some .280 brass that I can turn into .35 Whelen. I have powder, too, but just need some .358 bullets.
I have a Burris Droptine ready to put on it if I can get that buggered screw out that someone else messed up. Otherwise, I will have to take the bases off, and get new ones, along with rings.

Hawk

Very handsome work. No doubt it'll provide many years of joy for you.

Almost ready to make some noise. My brother started using the Whelen years ago and that is his go to elk rifle.
It has worked well for him.

Back