3006 180gn Hornady I’lock RN over 60.4 gn of enduron 4955

868d6f1ba243a53f80fadbf0ec370e75.jpg

This is my son Chris. He got his first black bear Thursday evening. The hunt was two weeks and the bears were few and nocturnal. He had given up, unloaded his rifle, and snapped the caps over the scope, and there in front of him at 20 yards stood this bear. Bear was a little confused as the 40 mph wind gave him some noise cover.. Bear looped wound and checked wind and went back to bait. He quietly slipped a 220 Sierra ProHunter RN in his 300 WSM, removed the caps and gave it a nice double lung heart shot. Bear made 10 yards. It tried to roar, but just let out a moan it couldn’t finish.

:), no, not his camo. Slipped into his rain gear as the big wind brought a big storm. Long bumpy boat ride back to camp.

Earlier in the day he boated a 34.5” Northern that went 14#.

He likes vacations with dad.

He said it’s easy to get a double lung heart shot when you put a 3” entrance hole and a 7” exit hole. We did recover the jacket from ground strike. I’ll post that after we get back.

Flying out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
Congratulations to you and your son. Looks like he took a pretty big boar.

JD338

What a fine bruin. Yeah, they have been known to sneak in and give us a start. Congratulations to you and your son.

86984d0375fc1ae33be19c49cb889017.jpg

e7d34a082f8c382623b5ced972f3083a.jpg

That’s a 3” knife, entrance wound side,
The exit side was basically 7-8”.

Chris found the bullet furrow and retrieved the 220 SPH jacket. Lead core must have gone deeper.

Kinda hard to miss the heart with that wound channel. 21 yards..

Powder was W780Supreme.

He was beginning to lay down some fat. No doubt the meat will provide some excellent meals. That 220 grain did expand explosively.

Fat layer was 3” in places already.

I’ve hunted bear 6x and have 2 harvested.

So my expertise in Black bear is limited..

This hunt, the scat was loaded with mountain ash berries. The orange ones. Had never seen that before.

Not sure where they were finding the mountain ash trees, but I think setting up closer to where they want to be would have helped. I went and cooked bacon at the bait site to get their attention.. frying fish and popping popcorn would get a bear or two to come.. typically over night.

Anyways, dropping the hide off at taxidermist tomorrow and trimming the meat before freezing.

Chris wants to use that load on white tail on 11/15 here.

Back