Savage 111 New Project Rifle Turning into 35 Whelen

Alderman":1xiiysm5 said:
Almost ready to make some noise. My brother started using the Whelen years ago and that is his go to elk rifle.
It has worked well for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I hope to make some noise with her here in the very near future.
Yup! That’s what I plan to use it on as well, elk! And other big critters. Plus maybe smaller ones too. LOL

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":k6jfbjrl said:
cloverleaf":k6jfbjrl said:
Cool! Look forward to the details of your loads and optics etc. Enjoy! CL
I already have my dies, and I have some .280 brass that I can turn into .35 Whelen. I have powder, too, but just need some .358 bullets.
I have a Burris Droptine ready to put on it if I can get that buggered screw out that someone else messed up. Otherwise, I will have to take the bases off, and get new ones, along with rings.

Hawk
I was on grafs yesterday evening and they had Speer hot core 358’s in stock. 200 gn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":1wa38z2q said:
HAWKEYESATX":1wa38z2q said:
cloverleaf":1wa38z2q said:
Cool! Look forward to the details of your loads and optics etc. Enjoy! CL
I already have my dies, and I have some .280 brass that I can turn into .35 Whelen. I have powder, too, but just need some .358 bullets.
I have a Burris Droptine ready to put on it if I can get that buggered screw out that someone else messed up. Otherwise, I will have to take the bases off, and get new ones, along with rings.

Hawk
I was on grafs yesterday evening and they had Speer hot core 358’s in stock. 200 gn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m going to check that out.
Thank you!

Hawk

Hawk,

The rifle looks great. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.
The 35 Whelen is an excellent all around big game rifle for NA and will really shine as an elk thumper out to 400 yards with the right load and optics.
If you can find some Speer 250 gr Hot Core bullets, it would cover everything you want to hunt. It will have a very similar POI to the 250 gr PT.

JD338

JD338":1n4c2zs6 said:
Hawk,

The rifle looks great. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots.
The 35 Whelen is an excellent all around big game rifle for NA and will really shine as an elk thumper out to 400 yards with the right load and optics.
If you can find some Speer 250 gr Hot Core bullets, it would cover everything you want to hunt. It will have a very similar POI to the 250 gr PT.

JD338
Thank you for your compliments!

Your advice is very sound, thank you again.

I greatly appreciate it!

Hawk

Those Speer 250gr hot core are about perfect in the whelen. Really hard to go wrong with a cartridge that shoots cheap bullets so well and they still perform on game.

Fantastic looking rifle. I absolutely love the 250 HCs in mine; they shoot accurately and are remarkably well put together.

Thebear_78":1ue7e9iz said:
Those Speer 250gr hot core are about perfect in the whelen. Really hard to go wrong with a cartridge that shoots cheap bullets so well and they still perform on game.

You’re so right!
I’m happy that not a lot of people know about the .35 Whelen and don’t buy a lot of .358 cal rifle bullets.

Hawk

Thebear_78":2glgrxfk said:

You’re so right!
I’m happy that not a lot of people know about the .35 Whelen and don’t buy a lot of .358 cal rifle bullets.

Hawk

KinleyWater":3n8p660z said:
Fantastic looking rifle. I absolutely love the 250 HCs in mine; they shoot accurately and are remarkably well put together.
Thank you!

Yes, I believe the 250gr HC’s are probably as well made as the 270 gr 444 cal HC’s were. I heard really good results about them.
Looking forward to trying them out in my .35 Whelen!

Hawk

I love the Whelen, load pretty much all 225 grain fodder, with Varget I did manage to hit 2800 fps and get the partitions and Accubonds to hit the same spot, bonus! Mine is a 24 inch gain twist on a Remington Action done by the oldest barrel make in Alberta, shes MOA with Sierra GK's, Partitions, and Accubonds and hits like a hammer. I am borderline on the muzzle brake issue LOL, it kicks with stiff handloads.

Double Dropper":1us8hw8j said:
I love the Whelen, load pretty much all 225 grain fodder, with Varget I did manage to hit 2800 fps and get the partitions and Accubonds to hit the same spot, bonus! Mine is a 24 inch gain twist on a Remington Action done by the oldest barrel make in Alberta, shes MOA with Sierra GK's, Partitions, and Accubonds and hits like a hammer. I am borderline on the muzzle brake issue LOL, it kicks with stiff handloads.
Believe it or not, CFE223 really makes the .35 Whelen into a beast!
Loaded up to 64gr - 64.5grs, can get the 225 gr bullets close to 2900fps. Now that’s COOKING!!
With 250gr bullets, CFE223 can get them going to 2700 - 2750 fps!
Right now, without a scope on the rifle, it’s weighing 9 - 10 lbs, so that should help reduce felt recoil. With the scope on it, I’m thinking it will be a hair over 10 lbs.
Somebody else said that if you shoot the Hornady Superformance 200 gr loads, you’re going to notice it for sure when you touch it off. I don’t doubt that!!
Yeah, it can become rather unruly when you get the velocities up, but it’s worth it to me for the big stuff.

Hawk

Back