Backup beam scale

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
Would the Lee safety scale make an acceptable backup scale? I've gone all digital and it feels weird not having a non-electric one for backup in case of problems. Any other cheap options? I still have my old powder thrower and trickler. I actually threw away my RCBS 505 and am regretting it but it been dropped a few times. Kids!

I have the RCBS 505, no idea how old it is. It's old. All I use. Check your Lee beam scale against several different bullet weights to check it's accuracy across different weights, then use it with full confidence. I do that with mine time to time. Zero it and check it against a known weight. I trust it more than I would anything digital.

Heat, humidity, and time can affect electronics function. None of that affects a mechanical beam scale.

I would go with the RCBS 505 (well actually I did) as a backup and to check and verify the digital results. I will say that I have the old RCBS Powder Pro digital scale and Powder Pro measure that were separate units with infrared connection. It has been very accurate and consistent for me. Part of the accuracy of digital is getting a good scale and part is in the way it's used. Yes it is considered accurate to +- 1 1/0 grain but if you think about it that stands to reason. Using 40.0 grains as an example if working perfectly and 100% accurate just due to design it will read 40.0 with the actual weight of 39.96-40.05 grains. When working up test loads I run mine just until it changes from 39.9 to 40.0. This will have me at the bottom of the 40.0 range. this is usually verified by the same charge being just at the bottom of the line when checked on my 505 scale. Remember the only reason we have to weigh charges at all is #1 safety (to not blow up a gun with too much pressure) and #2 consistency. (to make accurate loads) As long we are good on condition #1 then the accuracy of our load for our gun is dependent on #2. It really makes no difference if our charge is actually 39.95 or 40.0 as long as it is the same.

Bob sorry such a long answer to your simple question but maybe it will help others. Some tend to get too wrapped up in the supposed inaccuracy of the +-.10 grains and don't think about the usage and how to combat that. Not really pointing that at Shade Tree either as he is correct in that there are things that affect the accuracy. Just meant to point out some things that will make usage of digital more consistent and therefore less frustrating that the results that some seem to have.
BTW always warm up the digital for 30 minutes or the manufacturers recommended time and calibrate before every use.

Bruce

I have the newer RCBS. I think it’s the 1000.
It’s super fast. I have various bullets, ie a 223 in 40 gn Vmax, and a Vmax in 243 at 55gn and a SGK HP 243 at 85gn.
I’ll check my digital with those and use the RCBS to verify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a RCBS 505 have lost confidence in it. I checked it against a Lyman electronic scale with check weights and found that the 505 was about 1gr heavy on a 73 gr charge.

I love my RCBS Chargemaster Lite, just thought I should get a backup. And BruceP I agree, a 30 minute warmup is necessary. I didn't know I needed to do that originally and my zero seemed to float.

I have a RCBS Chargemaster Lite but I have my old Ohas 1010 beam scale as a backup. FWIW, I haven't used it in several years.

JD338

I have the Lee Safety Scale as a backup. They are inexpensive accurate, and have an adjustable zero. I absolutely love my Frankfort Arsenal Intellidropper but use the Lee to verify it from time to time.

I have an old RCBS that’s made by Ohaus and back it up with another RCBS that’s a little newer and cheaper. I’ve never used an electronic one but I would if that’s what I had.

Back