Free Enterprise System.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
I guess a word of encouragement not to let all the B.S. going on and what's still to come, make you sit on your hands locked up in fear. As long as you are in possession of something you don't need, prices are all relative. What you might need is high (I.E. primers) but so is everything else.

I bought a lump of ammo in one go. None of it I could use. 40 S&W, 223, 450 bushmaster, FNH 5.7x28, sierra game changer 6mm CM, winchester 7.62 service grade match, 6.5 grendel, 300 savage core lokt, 5.56 FMJ.

Didn't price it out individually, just total, and what that averaged per box. Knew there was some good stuff in there. Would've been way easier to let is sit rather than take the risk. Was a good bit of money to lay out and now I have to figure out how to get rid of it.

Sold a bunch of it now locally. Didn't take long. If I sold what I have left at just cost per box I'd be $212 to the good. Don't plan on selling what's left at cost, there is some good stuff yet.

Point is that's how you buy today's high priced items like primers, for no money out of pocket. I could buy 3k primers at Midway's prices. It's all relative as long as you have something to sell. Doesn't matter what primers cost. Everything is high.

I ran into expensive cases for 45/70.

Best deal was 52:cents, but had to buy 250 from the manufacturer. Sold 100 to a forum member who o
Also didn’t want to pay Cabelas 1.17 a case for the same headstamp…

And gave 36 WW 45/70 cases to another member…

The want ad thing in the forum works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's all well and good except that as a consumer vs a producer....sooner or later you're going to run out of goods to sell or trade. As part of the workforce, I'm trading my labor for dollars. However, my compensation is not inflating at anywhere near the rate of the goods I'm purchasing or attempting to purchase...

A couple name brand camo makers who formerly made were on the radio with Mike Avery. 3 hour weekly hunting fishing show, interviewed the owner. Cargo containers that used to cost $2,000 to get through customs precovid is now costing $23,000.
He didn’t give the break down on the increases, but I know they get billed for storage.. so if it sits for a day or a month, they get charged for storage. There’s something like 60-100 cargo ships of the port of LA and king beach. The hold up is no where to unload too as they wait for containers to get moved out of the port.

Glad I have good camo already …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

desertcj":2ng9ktzr said:
That's all well and good except that as a consumer vs a producer....sooner or later you're going to run out of goods to sell or trade. As part of the workforce, I'm trading my labor for dollars. However, my compensation is not inflating at anywhere near the rate of the goods I'm purchasing or attempting to purchase...

I get it, and you're not wrong when looking at that long term big picture. My point though is that the moment we are in now, specifically for primers, there is more than 1 way to skin the same cat.

Before I'd be out of primers with no feasible way to get some, I'd get inventive.

Most of us have something we could currently do without in exchange for primers. Brass for a particular cartridge, powder, bullets, maybe some dies we are never going to use, etc.

There are apparently a lot of people that get on GB that have way more disposable income than what I'm accustomed to, the way bidding gets run up.

In my case I have an 8lb jug of IMR 4831. 4831 is not one of my mainstay powders and I'd be able to replace it. What I see those going for on GB, I could sell it and use just the profit to severely reduce my out of pocket costs, to buy a brick of standard primers on GB.

Then I could either replace the 8 lb of 4831 somewhere locally, or just buy a lb of it for the time being.

Long way around the hill, but gets you to the same destination. Just hate to see anybody not have primers and no means to get any. There are ways out of that predicament.

mjcmichigan":351l0x6p said:
A couple name brand camo makers who formerly made were on the radio with Mike Avery. 3 hour weekly hunting fishing show, interviewed the owner. Cargo containers that used to cost $2,000 to get through customs precovid is now costing $23,000.
He didn’t give the break down on the increases, but I know they get billed for storage.. so if it sits for a day or a month, they get charged for storage. There’s something like 60-100 cargo ships of the port of LA and king beach. The hold up is no where to unload too as they wait for containers to get moved out of the port.

Glad I have good camo already …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A restaurant in the area posted some of their cost price increases, I'm assuming as a means to cushion the blow of across the board menu price increases.

If true, some of the price increases they listed for bulk items a yr ago, to today, are astronomical.

Buckle up buttercups. I'm not doom and gloom and don't wish hard times on anybody. But if you were not prepared before, today is the very best day you will get for now, to start.

4 mo's from now most everything at today's high prices, will be a bargain. Hope I'm wrong, don't think I am. Bad policies produce bad results. Stupid hurts. And it's full steam ahead with insanely bad policies from the pirates controlling the ship.

ShadeTree":3pri1iva said:
desertcj":3pri1iva said:

I get it, and you're not wrong when looking at that long term big picture. My point though is that the moment we are in now, specifically for primers, there is more than 1 way to skin the same cat.

Before I'd be out of primers with no feasible way to get some, I'd get inventive.

Most of us have something we could currently do without in exchange for primers. Brass for a particular cartridge, powder, bullets, maybe some dies we are never going to use, etc.

There are apparently a lot of people that get on GB that have way more disposable income than what I'm accustomed to, the way bidding gets run up.

In my case I have an 8lb jug of IMR 4831. 4831 is not one of my mainstay powders and I'd be able to replace it. What I see those going for on GB, I could sell it and use just the profit to severely reduce my out of pocket costs, to buy a brick of standard primers on GB.

Then I could either replace the 8 lb of 4831 somewhere locally, or just buy a lb of it for the time being.

Long way around the hill, but gets you to the same destination. Just hate to see anybody not have primers and no means to get any. There are ways out of that predicament.

I hear ya. I've got an 8lber of H1000 I'll probably never get around to using. That must be worth quite a bit at this point...

desertcj":dy5yz2my said:
ShadeTree":dy5yz2my said:
desertcj":dy5yz2my said:

I hear ya. I've got an 8lber of H1000 I'll probably never get around to using. That must be worth quite a bit at this point...

You have no idea. There you go. A little bit of work, and you're set.

If you bought it at least a yr ago, you could take just the profit and buy several bricks of primers at GB prices easy, and still have the original money you bought the powder with. If you don't mind also using the original capitol in exchange for primers, the world is your oyster.

On top of that you could just buy 1 brick at GB prices to get you by, then wait on availability when they pop up at normal online vendors, at half that price.

A yr from now you could have 10 bricks of primers without laying out a single dollar more out of pocket than what you've already spent.

That's how you do it. You will be fine. (y)

Shade - sounds like the free market to me. All you're doing is what has been done since the dawn of money - buy low, sell high.

KinleyWater":1n0yvors said:
Shade - sounds like the free market to me. All you're doing is what has been done since the dawn of money - buy low, sell high.

Oh I know that, I'm not doing anything new and innovative. Only pointing out that fear of some of the things happening and fear of the unknown locks people up and creates a false narrative in minds that nothing can be done. The natural reaction is to sit tight and not move.

Just encouraging to be proactive. Other than the loss of convenience to be able to walk into the nearest LGS and buy whatever I want, my rifle and shooting hobby's hasn't changed much.

According to the Alliant rep, Justin, I spoke with yesterday hoarding is the root of the problem. Everyone bought like mad during the Obama era and caused a big bump in weapons/ammo/reloading components. Subsequently once Trumph took office, demand dropped and orders diminished. He also added that they have added many employees this year to meet the demand.

Shipping here to AK is a rough go. Local (50 air miles away) Sportsman’s hasn’t had primers in forever. I have enough primers from the 90’s when Bill Clinton was gonna take all the guns. Rather than capitalize on my neighbors misfortune I’ll just give them some.

Just to be clear, there was no capitalizing on neighbors misfortunes here. Everything I sold was cheaper than what could be normally found elsewhere. Which is why it sold.

Example, the 300 savage Rem Core Lokt I sold for $19 per box. There's not a shop I'm aware of in my state anywhere that you could walk in and see 300 Savage Core Lokt ammo sitting on a shelf waiting to be bought for $19 a box.

The oddball stuff that's left I'll probably put on Gunbroker with a starting bid at cost or slightly higher. What it brings from there it brings.

Back