Primers...

This morning Powder Valley had CCI BR2 LR primers and Fed 210M, each for $120 per 1000, WOW! Makes Midway's prices look good. I thought I paid too much at a LGS and online the last couple months for LR primers for $60 to $75 per 1000.

Shade we both know this a just a discussion, Its not personal I agree. My central point is that the pandemic has screwed up the supply chain in many ways. It remains true that the oil companies set prices. They are not govt controlled. The real problem of the pandemic was trumphs refusal to tackle it full on in the beginning. He constantly denied it was a problem, wouldn't promote mask wearing , said by spring of 2020 it would go away. that type of BS. Once the vaccinations were available he didn't support getting them even though he did in Dec 2019. All this made a terrible situation worse. uncertainty that hurt production and distribution of most products. Not to mention the grim fact that 750,000 people died. Interestingly enough, the economy statistically does better under democratic administrations historically.

Midway has cci military spec large rifle primers in stock now if anyone is looking for them. The had cci small pistol this morning , but they are gone already. Midway seems to update their website about mid morning, eastern time, most days. Unfortunately, I think the new prices will be the normal even after the pandemic is over. As a business owner, we have a hard time reducing prices after we raise then even if cost are down. There are a lot of hidden costs that aren't thought of when setting prices of a product.

I had to buy primers on gunbroker awhile back for $300/ 1,000. It hurt but I really wanted to keep shooting lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lhsako":3a7ybvci said:
Shade we both know this a just a discussion, Its not personal I agree. My central point is that the pandemic has screwed up the supply chain in many ways. It remains true that the oil companies set prices. They are not govt controlled. The real problem of the pandemic was trumphs refusal to tackle it full on in the beginning. He constantly denied it was a problem, wouldn't promote mask wearing , said by spring of 2020 it would go away. that type of BS. Once the vaccinations were available he didn't support getting them even though he did in Dec 2019. All this made a terrible situation worse. uncertainty that hurt production and distribution of most products. Not to mention the grim fact that 750,000 people died. Interestingly enough, the economy statistically does better under democratic administrations historically.

Ihsako we will just have to agree to disagree, and that's fine. I'll be blunt. I disagree with most of what you said.

I don't believe masks do jack. Never have. Don't wear them.

In general I don't believe the vaccines do jack. Never have. Produced from 3 different companies with 3 different supposed lengths of protection, etc.

I don't believe the covid numbers. But using their numbers there were more people died already of covid in 2021 under full vaccination roll out and protocols, than in all of 2020 when the vaccine was just coming on the scene. And during the summer when typical flu like viruses go into hiding. Yep, makes sense.

All that said, if your aged 60-64 you still have a 99.5% survivability rate. I don't worry about it.

Danged Guy, getting everyone all worked up! :mrgreen:

HA! I just want some darned primers from my local outfit again. This is crap.

Scotty, nobody worked up here, I'm chilled and mellow. Just vocal. :grin:

But on the subject of primers. I got family in VA and they get back and forth quite a bit.

I got 3 bricks of magnum primers....wouldn't mind keeping 1 brick around, but you in need of any? I'd trade even up for LR. Would prefer by the brick, but would do by the 100 packs.

In no need of LR, got plenty but the magnums will sit on the shelf and be the last to be used likely, so just putting out there that I got if you need.

noslerpartition":1d98j3zs said:
Outsch.
I still get Federal LR match for €55 in the EU

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

NP, that would equate to about $64 our price if I'm reading the conversion right. I recently picked up a brick of Federal Premium 210M for $60, high price in the past, but not currently, but that well has dried up.

It's not the price, but the fact that you can just go out and buy them that is amazing. You think you guys across the way are buying new stock coming in, or just working off of previous stock piles??

I think a lot of the problem is that you have guys/shops with connections that are snatching primers up by the pallet and selling them on gunbroker for 3 times the going rate before they can ever reach the average guy. You look at the qty of bricks available on those gunbroker adds....50 bricks! Sometimes more...

desertcj":le0i7sey said:
I think a lot of the problem is that you have guys/shops with connections that are snatching primers up by the pallet and selling them on gunbroker for 3 times the going rate before they can ever reach the average guy. You look at the qty of bricks available on those gunbroker adds....50 bricks! Sometimes more...

Could be what happens, seems they'd run out after a bit otherwise? But who knows.

I don't buy primers to make money, I buy them for the primers. But a person certainly could make money off of them in todays world. :shock:

ShadeTree":3vzrwq6l said:
noslerpartition":3vzrwq6l said:
Outsch.
I still get Federal LR match for €55 in the EU

NP, that would equate to about $64 our price if I'm reading the conversion right. I recently picked up a brick of Federal Premium 210M for $60, high price in the past, but not currently, but that well has dried up.

It's not the price, but the fact that you can just go out and buy them that is amazing. You think you guys across the way are buying new stock coming in, or just working off of previous stock piles??
For us, that is the normal price - no changes so far. Heck - even German guns and optics are more expensive here than in the US.
I think we get new stuff from time to time, but rumor has it that that might slow down, too.

We will see.

desertcj":qwpux8hc said:
lhsako":qwpux8hc said:
ShadeTree":qwpux8hc said:
lhsako":qwpux8hc said:
Many businesses simply are slowing production due to the market uncertainty caused by the global pandemic.
In addition, many workers changed jobs or quit. Uncertainty equals anxiety. No one wants to sit on inventory.

If you are talking anything firearm and shooting related, you have got to be joking. At this point with every sporting goods store across the country sitting empty on supplies for the last 9 months, manufacture's could work for 2 yrs without getting caught up.

Every game store is waiting on orders and it gets sold as fast as it trickles in. None of the game stores I stop in at are worried about sitting on inventory. They would buy it by the truck load if they could get it.
I'm talking about the macro view of this shortage situation. Some of the powders we all use come from Europe. the components come from good knows where. Prices are set by the corporations. i.e gouging with fuel prices. Its' big oil charging those prices. Not govt. policy.

So are you implying that govt. Policy has no affect on oil prices? I don't see how anyone could possibly believe that...
So How do you feel govt policy affects oil prices? Give some examples.....

If you are talking anything firearm and shooting related, you have got to be joking. At this point with every sporting goods store across the country sitting empty on supplies for the last 9 months, manufacture's could work for 2 yrs without getting caught up.

Every game store is waiting on orders and it gets sold as fast as it trickles in. None of the game stores I stop in at are worried about sitting on inventory. They would buy it by the truck load if they could get it.[/quote]
I'm talking about the macro view of this shortage situation. Some of the powders we all use come from Europe. the components come from good knows where. Prices are set by the corporations. i.e gouging with fuel prices. Its' big oil charging those prices. Not govt. policy.[/quote]

So are you implying that govt. Policy has no affect on oil prices? I don't see how anyone could possibly believe that...[/quote]
So How do you feel govt policy affects oil prices? Give some examples.....[/quote]

When you curtail domestic production & distribution through regulation you reduce supply. Reduced supply with equivalent or higher demand equals rising prices. Specific examples? Keystone pipeline project killed. Now we can't efficiently import oil from Canada and have to have it shipped from the middle east instead. Ban on extraction of oil on federal land leases. Reduced supply.

On a brighter note, I scored some small rifle primers today off of the internet (y)

desertcj":3tk16j04 said:
On a brighter note, I scored some small rifle primers today off of the internet (y)
Excellent! The only primers I was short on was LR Mag and I got a brick this week as well.

The Primer and ammo shortage has had almost zero effect on me. I can ride this out for a couple more years for Rifle and Pistol primers.
Shotgun I shot two Trap Leagues last summer and still only shot about half of what I had loaded up and still have 9000 shotgun primers I paid $28 a thousand.
Rifle primers I’m fine for a couples years and Pistol Primers good also. Plenty of powder and bullets also.
Really only thing I would like to buy is another case of 5000 shotgun wads but if I can’t pay a fair price I’m good for one more year. I would like to buy 10 bags of shot if I can get for around $40 a bag.
When the last shortage happened I looked ahead.
What effect has this had on me none. Yes after the last shortage I put up a couple years stock.

1100 RM, I shoot some pistol, but thankfully never got into that habit so I didn't have to prepare for that on top of other things. Same thing for shotgun. Only had to be prepared for rifle.

Powder, brass, and bullets I was good on. Primers I was good for the rest of my life for limited shooting and hunting. But not if I wanted to continue shooting regular.

I can shoot anything large rifle now worry free for a whole lot of yrs. I wouldn't mind yet getting stocked up on small rifle primers if I run across a reasonable way to get them.

I’ve got roughly 500-600 primers of SR magnum, LR magnum, and LR. About 300 large pistol, but I hardly load pistols anymore. I have cut back on the shooting a pretty good bit because I really don’t wanna pay gunbroker primer prices again lol. I’ve not seen a primer in a local store for over a year atleast. Am starting to see some powder, but bullets for my 416’s have gotten impossible to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back