Which .375 Bullet for Brown Bear?

wbygunner

Beginner
Jul 7, 2009
I'm going on a brown bear hunt, on the Alaskan Peninsula, next May and am starting to try different loads in my .375. I am not a handloader, so I would have to use factory loads. In your opinion, what would be the best offering from Nosler? Partition, AccuBond, 260 grain, 300 grain? A lot of people have recommended the Barnes TSX, though I'm not sure. It seems with the Barnes bullet, for every success story which is told, you hear another story of bullet failure. I feel the new 300 grain AccuBond would be tremendous on big brownies, however, only the components are currently offered. Are the jackets thicker on the .375 AccuBond vs. smaller calibers? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any input!

wbygunner

Welcome to the forum.
You didn't mention which flavor of 375 you have but the time proven 300 gr PT would be an excellent choice and tough to beat.

JD338

JD338, thanks for the reply. Yes, I left out some rather important information, the .375 is of the H&H variety! I strongly agree with your thoughts on the Partition, sometimes a guy looks for the latest and greatest, when the tried and true is right in front of him. Kind of like the .375 H&H. Thanks again!

wbygunner

The 375 H&H with a 300 gr PT is a classic for Brown Bear. Federal offers both a standard as well as a High Energy offering. Either load will be plenty to stop a bear.

JD338

You lucky son-of-a-gun! :grin: That is the hunt of a lifetime! Awesome. Please share photos and a hunt report upon your return.

Which bullet? Darned if I know! :grin: I've seen those bears up close and personal while fishing and backpacking... Am thinking an artillery piece is about right...

JD338 - I see two Federal offerings for the 300 grain TBBC, one High Energy, but not for the Partition. Where can I find them?

Guy Miner - This is my dream hunt, really, really looking forward to it. Though it's 10 months away, I'm already having a blast with all the planning aspects!

I used the Federal ammunition with the 300 gr Nosler Partition in my .375 H&H a lot in Africa, it is a stone killer. It will work fine for your bear, just put it in the right place.

Good hunting!

jim

I would think the 375 with either the 260gr PT or AccuBond would be a hammer on big bears. Plus, it might be a little flatter shooting if you did get a shot out at the further side of 300 yards. Sounds like an awesome hunt, good luck with the planning. Scotty

I also shoot the 375H&H and LOVE it! My choice would be the 300gr PT for sure :twisted: ..If it were cape buffalo, I'd go first shot with 300gr swift a frame, and 300gr solids for any follow up shots.
Lou

lOOK UP THE NORTH FORK. ANY BULLET WEIGHT WILL DO. I SHOT A BUFFALO AT POINT BLANK RANGE IN TWO THOUSAND FIVE WITH THE FOUR HUNDRED AND FOUR FIFTY GRAIN AT TWO THOUSAND FIVE FITY AND TWO THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY FEET PER SECOND. SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WITH LIGHTER BULLET AND MIDDLE RIBS TO SHOULDER WITH HEAVIER ONE. NINETY PERCENT WEIGHT RETENTION AND EIGHTY FIVE CALIBER. NO OTHER BULLET MADE CAN DO THAT. LOOK INTO THEM. (bARNES BORROWED THEIR GROOVED BEARING SURFACE TO REDUCE FOULING). BEST BONDED BULLET MADE NOW THAT BILL STEIGERS AT BITTERROOT HAS RETIRED.

NOSLERS ARE GOOD BUY FOR MONEY AND AVAILABLE ANYWHERE BUT JUST NOT IN THIS CLASS.

andrewctillman":18ifa9zv said:
lOOK UP THE NORTH FORK. ANY BULLET WEIGHT WILL DO. I SHOT A BUFFALO AT POINT BLANK RANGE IN TWO THOUSAND FIVE WITH THE FOUR HUNDRED AND FOUR FIFTY GRAIN AT TWO THOUSAND FIVE FITY AND TWO THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY FEET PER SECOND. SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WITH LIGHTER BULLET AND MIDDLE RIBS TO SHOULDER WITH HEAVIER ONE. NINETY PERCENT WEIGHT RETENTION AND EIGHTY FIVE CALIBER. NO OTHER BULLET MADE CAN DO THAT. LOOK INTO THEM. (bARNES BORROWED THEIR GROOVED BEARING SURFACE TO REDUCE FOULING). BEST BONDED BULLET MADE NOW THAT BILL STEIGERS AT BITTERROOT HAS RETIRED.

NOSLERS ARE GOOD BUY FOR MONEY AND AVAILABLE ANYWHERE BUT JUST NOT IN THIS CLASS.

Unfortunately their BC's are terrible making them a short to medium range bullet. I talked to Mike rady a while back while they were at Glenrock Wyoming and he was working on an experimental Ballistic Tip type bonded Northfork.. Do not know what happened t that.

Also please turn your caps off. Equivalent to you yelling in forum lingo and difficult to read. Thanks

Fotis,

Sorry about caps. Stuck for some reason. My comments may be more appropriate for the reloading or bullet test section, so move if you think so?

Wbygunner,

FACTORY AMMO.

For 375 Nosler factory ammo I would much prefer the 300 grain NP to the 260 or 300 Acubond. I have used the 375 or 375 Improved for everything since 1980 or so. I have killed well over 100 american bison with this caliber plus many other calibers and bullets, so I can say with some certainty the 300 grain NP will do well for you.

I would test which ever bullet you use in five gallon nylon buckets from Home Depot first. The 375 will need three of them with lids on to recover a NP or Swift A-Frame. The 260 AccuBond will probably be stopped in 2 1/2 unless it is so soft the Frontal Area peels back to that of the NP. (Penetration is governed mostly by FA, not retained weight. Surprising but true).

You might try some 300 grain Swift A-Frames from Remington Safari line also.

This is a 400 grain .416 at point blank and 100 yards but 300 grain 375 looks similar.

You are right to be a little bit suspicious of the Barnes TSX. The 300 grain monometal is really long in that caliber and weight. It is prone to turning over 180 degrees and ripping the X petals off. Great penetration due to low FA. the medium and large bore TSX tend to do this more than the smaller calibers. I would avoid them unless you drop down a bullet weight to the 270 grain for increased stability. this works in the 458 caliber I know and should help in 375 as well.

Pictured 458 caliber 450 grain TSX, grooved TSX, and North Fork Cup Point. these 458's have similar SD as a 300 grain 375 and similar velocity.

The nylon buckets correspond to bullets recovered from big game. I compared my recovered bullets with the late George Hofmans collection of 400 grain Swift A-frames from his 416 Hofman and my North Forks from buffalo and plains game and the buckets predicted FA and retained weight by 90 and 95%. Also closely duplicates IWBA calibrated gelatin in many pistol and rifle calibers.

RELOADS.

Here is why I prefer the bonded North forks to any other hunting bullet made today.

450 Dakota. 450 grain .458 on left and 400 grain .458 on right.

Zimbabwae, 2005. Dande North unit. Range a few steps. First shot with 450 grain at 2550 fps hit mid ribs passing through to front shoulder. Large buldge under hide. Second shot, 400 grain at 2750 fps, shoulder to shoulder, bullet found inside off side femur.

No other bullet can retain 90% weight and 85 caliber at such low SD and high MV.

Ballistic coefficient is pretty much meaningless for dangerous game.

Retained weight and frontal area much, much more important to me.

the NF appear to have a 6 caliber ogive. good enough for me! And I prefer the lead meplat to a plastic tip. Expands more rapidly and reliably.

Mike Brady sold his operation and it moved to Philomath Oregon where they make his original bonded solid base soft points and FN solids. They added some heavier bullet weights to pander to African hunters who must be traditional despite the fact the bullets do so well at light for caliber SD.

I have some experimental 7mm HP's he tried for those who select bullets based on BC. Dont know if they went into production or not?

I was using a 450 Dakota for my buffalo and elephant. Used it for plains game also. Trajectory alot like a 30-06 or 375 both of which I was used too.

I got 2700 fps with IMR4350 with NF's 300 grain bonded solid base in my 375 improved from a 22 inch barrel. You could use a 250 or 270 grain just as well as the 300. They are that good. Play it safe w the 270 grain. Rule of thumb with a bonded solid base is to drop down one bullet weight.

Here is 500 grain Nosler recovered in 5 gallon water buckets at 2,400 fps. A good bullet, it had most penetration in my test of premium 458's. But the lighter North Forks dont kick as much and retain much more weight and frontal area.

400 grain NF has enough penetration to go shoulder to shoulder on buffalo so would rather have large temporary cavity produced by the higher velocity bullet.

The North Fork line also shoots to same Point of aim. This is typical 100 yd group with 3x scope.

NF was first US manufacturer to adopt a grooved bearing surface with FN solid. (GS was first to do so but they were available in Africa only). The FN solids all have similar SD as a 500grain 470 which is pictured. The 416 and 458 are slightly lighter than traditional bullets due to solid copper construction. Maintaining a SD of .300 keeps the long monometals stable. L to RT 9.3, 375, 416, 404 (424?), 458, 470.

I tested soft points and FN's in 5 gallon nylon water buckets prior to Africa. Photo shows point blank range and 100 yards. See how similar they are to bullets recovered from buffalo.

The North Forks and good old Nosler partitions are not sexy. No HP or Ballistic Tip. Just great performance.

My next elephant gun.

Seriously, look into a 270 or 300 grain North Fork bonded soft point for your Brown bear hunt. North Fork or other forumn members can probably recommend a custom reloader to make your ammo. You wont be sorry.

PS I see you posted this quite awhile ago. What did you end up using?

Yeah, those bullets look real good. They are on my list of bullets to try in the future.

Back