Never thought I would (300 Mag recipe)

mtdream

Beginner
Sep 19, 2005
Have lurked on here for a while learning/researching from all your info...in fact this is where I was introduced to N165 powder...for that I am very thankful to you all...

Ok, I never once thought I would get on here and post a story about "how great of a shot I had or group...In fact I personally still dont believe the accuracy of this load...

Anyway here are the stats

Rifle: Tikka Whitetail Hunter Stainless Laminate Stock (M695)
Caliber: .300 Win Mag
Scope: Zeiss Conquest
Brass: Winchester
Primer: Federal Mach Grade GM215
Powder: Vihtavouri N165
Bullet: Nosler AccuBond
3 shot group: .761 (center to center furthest apart)
Target Distance: 200 Yards
Temperature: 52 degrees (F)

Main goal of the day was to dial in a couple other variables, as in new cases versus once fireds versus Nickel plated cases versus copper ones...Had already zeroed in on the N165 and the Accubonds...

Anyway, findings of the day Nickel plated Brass are not working well at all in my gun...noticed the primer pockets were a little looser and wass not getting the pressure of the Copper ones and the POI was wayyyyy different at 100 and 200yds...So, no more Nickel in my shooting....

And, had nominal difference in new brass versus once fired brass (probably due to full legth resizing) However, could tell a difference in my old dies used (off the shelf RCBS) vs. the new dies Hornady Custom Grade...they have a little collar that theoretically helps with concentricity...I am a believer in them and with this powder...For $22 you cant go wrong...

Anyway here is the group Size as I am somewhat embarassed to post, but hopefully it adds to our group knowledge for better accuracy/cleaner kill shots...

Weird bulletin board so oing to try and post pics, but might have to come as seperate post in a few minutes...Sorry the micrometer is not really clear, did not take great pics....

Back