300 WSM Chambers

moreloader

Beginner
Dec 20, 2005
I have noticed that the chamber on my mod 70 allows the cartrige to expand 10 thousanths. I discovered this after noticing one inch plus groups with factory ammo. I had been reloading for about 6 years at the time and decided to reload for the gun to improve the accuracy. My first chamber indicator was when the cases were hard to fl size. Many cases were crushed regardless of the type of lube. I bought a neck sizer die and tried again. I found that the cases after being neck sized in this gun allow about 2 extra grains of powder.

With reloads the gun is very accurate and I have many sub .5" loads including one of .331" all off of sand bags. The load should be avoided in new brass as it exceeds some of the load manuals max but not others. It has been very safe in my gun with no pressure signs and less recoil than many factory loadings for the caliber.

The Load

69.5grains of W760 behind a 165grain Balistic Tip.

The performance

<.500 at 100 yards off of bags

Terminal performance

3 dead bucks all to 1 shot.

By the way, I have seen several posts on poor performance of balistic tips and I can say that the 165's perform fantasticly I have shot 3 broadside deer and all exited the size of a nickel.

1-10 point at 318 yards broke both front shoulders and logged 3 inches deep in a pine tree.

1-12 point at 165 yards through both lungs and the tip of the heart. clean pass broke 2 ribs on the way in, and three on the way out exit wound of .64"(caliper).

1-8 point at 72 yards (still over 3000fps.) clean pass through both lungs. went through the center of one rib on entry and split between both ribs coming out with an exit wound about the size of a nickel again, sorry I did not have my caliper with me when I skinned my deer this year.

Not a bad 3 year life of a rifle.

Back