Load Identification

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
Just thought I would share a reloading tip with you guys.

Have you ever got different bullet weights, powder types or charge weights mixed up?
I use magic markers to color code my shells by bullet weight. For any given caliber, Blue = light bullet, Green = mid weight, and Red = Heavy bullet weights. You can use your own color system for bullet weight, powder type, or target / huntiung loads, etc.
Prep your brass with 0000 steel wool and color the inside bevel edge of the primer pocket with your chosen magic marker color. Seat the primer and your case will have a very "professional" look.
Best results are obtained when you clean the head of the case with 0000 stel wool and remark for each loading.

Several years ago a range master at my club insisted that my 35 Whelen shells, which were loaded with Nosler 225 gr PT's color coded with a Green ring around the primer pocket, were factory loads!

I know there are a lot of us out there that take pride in our rifles, strive for sub MOA accuracy. Having some nice looking shells to feed your rifle is just a final detail that looks good.
Hope this helps you guy out.

Regards,

JD338

Back