Magnum Primers vs. Bench-Rest??

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
I have a question about Magnum primers vs. bench rest primers.
I have just purchased a .300RUM, and have used the CCI Bench rest primers. After several rounds, I'm getting a delayed fire. I'm guessing the BR primers are not adequate enough for the large case volume and powder? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I have used regular primers in the 300WSM and 300WinMag but with the volume of the RUM, I have stayed with mag primers.Rick.

I agree with Rick, stay with the Magnum primers. I use Federal Gold Metal Match primers. Try some GM215M primers, they are very consistant in my 338 RUM.

Regards,

JD338

I worked up a load with those primers in my 300 RUM as well. 200g AB and 88g of H-1000 gives me 1.25" 3 shot groups at 300 yards. I did not experience hang fires at my house which was about 50 degrees. However, when I took them up elk hunting and shot them at my elk in 0 degree weather, I noticed them hanging up as well. It was kinda funny because I would squeeze the trigger, I could hear the primer strike, then about 1 second later the powder would ignite then "boom". It was very odd, but I learned my lesson. Stick with a mag primer, primarily the federal mag match or 215M. I still have about 15 of those loaded up with the CCI BR-2's, I'll shoot them down at my house anyways, they still shoot good.

remingtonman.....
Thanks for the insight, and that's what I was after. I use those primers in about everything I have, I just don't have experience with the larger calibers. The guns primary purpose will be @ ten to twelve thousand feet, and yes, very cold weather. Am I understanding correctly, that Federal has a Magnum, and Match grade magnum primer available?
Thanks again

Ok. When shooting a big one there are two primers to consider,

Federal 215 or 215M
Win LRM--hotter of the two--it actually is!

POP

Thanks for the info !
I've bought both primers, and am playing with powders now. I know what is recommended in is as far as the RL's and H1000, but I'm a huge
Viht fan, so I hope I can get that powder to work well.
Take care neighbor

I found that the Winchester magnum primers were the most consistant of all the brands out there. I tried the Federal and Remington and sold them. I used them in everything from 22 250 to 458 and you won't find any other brand in my pantry. Over the chronograph the shot to shot spread is only 10 fps at 3400 fps.

My general rule of thumb for hunting is 70gr of powder or more gets mag primer. I live in Sask, Canada so it can be cold and with over 70 gr I have exeprienced a few problems with 300's and LR primers or 210's. Upto 70 no delayed or misfires that I have witnessed.

In the RUM with 90 (plus) grains of powder I'd stick with 215's, you pick whatever brand you prefer.

Personally I use Federal Gold Match in 210 or 215's for primers.

I use Federal 215 mag primers in my 300wm and 06's.I have an article from the Am Rifleman 3/86 on the M-1 Garand using Fed 210 Match primers which improves accuracy to 1,2 or 3 minutes of angle . I killed a mule deer in CO using 165gr Nosler BT with 47.5gr of IMR 4895 using a mag primer ,shot it in the neck at approx 250yds.If anyone who owns a garand wants a copy I'll make some .At the SHOT Show I looked at the new Springfield Garands & while speaking to a tech I told him about the article ended up sending him a copy.

Sometimes mag primers are more consistent in standard calibers such as 270 or 30-06, sometimes they are not. The only way to know is to take the same exact loads with the 2 different primers and go shoot and record groups and velocity. I am using fed 215 mag primers right now in my 270 because thats all I had at the time, and did not want to go buy and standards. Well I"m getting max deviations of 15 fps over 5 shots and .5MOA out to 300 yards. So there working for me out of this particular rifle. I dont feel a standard will do any better or worse, I'm not even going to worry about it. Now if I was getting bad deviations and bad accuracy, I would be trying standards, but why change with what I'm getting? In magnum calibers, you should always use magnum primers though. Thats not very debatable.

remingtonman_25_06":1jltaxxy said:
Sometimes mag primers are more consistent in standard calibers such as 270 or 30-06, sometimes they are not. The only way to know is to take the same exact loads with the 2 different primers and go shoot and record groups and velocity.

Rem Man is right. Just start low and work up when switching to magnum primers. I switched to mag primers in my 280 AI and the group shrunk from .4's to .2's.

JD338

JD338
I appreciate the info, as I have a standard .280 Rem. It's the most finiky gun I have, but finally found a load for it. .6@200 now....that's with the CCI BR's. I've sense bought some Magnum primers for the .300RUM, just a time issue to get back to it now. I also foulded up, and stuffed BR's in all 50 cases that I had, so..........
Looking foreward to trying the magnum primers in the .280 now..
thanks for the input.

My best 5 shot group was 3/8 inch from a 30-06 Sako Finnbear using Rem brass,Nosler 165 gr solid base bullet and 58gr of IMR 4831 with a CCI LR primer.When I hunted in cold weather I've gotten better accuracy using Fed or Rem LR mag primers. I have to work up a load for a 1952 improved Mannlicher Schoenaeur in 30-06.

Ok
I was finaly able to get a few rounds off this list weekend with the Federal primers. I didn't experience any hang-fires etc. , so I'm on the hunt for the right powder now. I'm a huge Viht fan, but the 165 doesn't appear to fill enough case volume. It's expensive to buy 2lbs just to try out.

Back