Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Click on Chart

Attachments

• combine_images.jpg
    combine_images.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 24,890
Looking at these yet again. Was wondering if there was one with a tangable method of burn rate versus just a numbering system so we could really see what they burn at? Or if not does Nosler have this at there factory so we can have a better idea of what is a compareable powder? As in like a tangible way to compare powders like IMR-7828 to RL-22? Or how close is Varget to IMR-4895 or 4320?

Greetings fellow patriots. In regards to the burn rate charts, the first one says Hogdon Clays is faster burning than Bullseye. The second chart says not so. Who is correct? Why the difference? I am reluctant to counter check them all but I am wondering bout this. Newysan Don't trust a govt. that does not trust you to own a gun.

Burn rates are approximations and not absolute. The rates are relative, dependent upon case dimensions, powder column, projectile weight, etc. Don't trust your life to a burn chart.

Plus, case/barrel compression ratio, temperature, humidity, attitude (baro. pressure), primer brissiance, load density, etc, etc, to name a few. Test your loads in your firearm for better safety and control.

remember from lot to lot of the SAME powder some can vary as much as 10%. That will make that lot of powder slower/faster than the next up or down

The only one of these I trust is Hodgdon's. Sorry, but powder manufacturers are liable, and accountable to SAAMI; shooting forums are not.

Hogdon's lists both IMR 4895 and H4895 neatly between Ramshot TAC and VihtaVuori N135.

The "hiwaay.net" lists both of the 4895 powders way above TAC, and also jumping above W748, H335, BL-C(2), Reloder 10x, and AA 2460!

Sorry, but lot-to-lot variation can't explain that, especially when two different 4895 powders jumps so many other powders.

Brian

BTW, Hodgdon makes Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders! If you are going to handload and get beyond guessing, you need to get a decent Chronograph and measure for your self!

Vihtavuori uses the same two-dimensional format as Western Powders, but they do not list TAC on the same row (~speed) with H-335 as Western does, rather they line it up with H-4895. So as always you cannot trust burn rate charts for making any useful decisions, even to tell which of two particular powders is faster than the other.

I have a burn rate chart that is used by QL, took me several days to make.

I find it quite handy for comparing any NEW powders that show up.

Such as this comparison,
Here is the burn rates for these powders, Per QL program,

Fastest to slowest order,
RL-17 =4700
RL-19 =4500
H-4831 =4301
RL-23 =4090
Rl-22 =3860
Imr-7828 =3841
RL-25 =3840
H-1000 =3660
RL-26 =3397
Retumbo =3370
Norma 217 =2889
RL-33 =2670
RL-50 =2170

YMMV,
Tia,
Don

Thanks, this chart shows relative burning rate which most company charts do not show, just order of burning. Good info to have.

OT3

I made a complete list of 140+ powders from QL data base,
from the Fastest Pistol, Shotgun to the slowest Rifle powders,
which also includes the Heat of the explosion (Hot to coldest,
and the Ratio of heat to load volume (Hot to cold) etc.

I use this info all the time when hunting/comparing powders/loads etc.

But, I do not know how to post this info for the members,
and need to clear this with the Moderators.

This plastic box is smarter than I am.

Tia,
Don

nvreloader":2in42a9x said:
I have a burn rate chart that is used by QL, took me several days to make.

I find it quite handy for comparing any NEW powders that show up.

Such as this comparison,
Here is the burn rates for these powders, Per QL program,

Fastest to slowest order,
RL-17 =4700
RL-19 =4500
H-4831 =4301
RL-23 =4090
Rl-22 =3860
Imr-7828 =3841
RL-25 =3840
H-1000 =3660
RL-26 =3397
Retumbo =3370
Norma 217 =2889
RL-33 =2670
RL-50 =2170

YMMV,
Tia,
Don

Old post, but can you add AR Comp in as well? Was just wondering where it fell in the RL15/Varget area.. Greatly appreciated.

SHM

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

>BTW, Hodgdon makes Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders

No, Hodgdon does not make powder, they buy it from the plant and distribute it under their name (Winchester and IMR are licensed to them for their use).
You take 20 burn rate charts and you'll get 20 different listings and they are all worth what you paid for them.
You would think that there would be a standard test that would produce the same results, even if they don't match what one sees for each cartridge/bullet weight.

andrewctillman":26n7t841 said:
Where do Norma URP and RL 16 fit in?

Or did I miss them?

I'm thinking 6.5 CM.

Reloader 16 burn rate is up there with H4350 / IMR 4451. The burn rate is slightly faster than Reloder 17, and a bit slower than Varget or Reloder 15. Norma burn rate is in the chart.
1EFTGEnl.jpg

Back