Quick Load Data For 64 grain Nosler Bonded solid Base

andrewctillman

Beginner
Feb 6, 2013
Does anyone have Quickload?

I was hoping that someone could help me with suggested powders for 64 grain Nosler Bonded solid base in a NATO chamber.

Bullet is 0.8025 inches long.

2.175 OCL

I will be using 16 and 20 inch barrels w NATO chamber and 1-9 twist.

Nosler shows 27.0 grains water capacity at this OCL with their bullet in Nosler brass.

It is a great bullet but load data is minimal in new reloading manual. (223 chamber only and just a couple powders).

Would love to hear from moderators about how Winchester 556B (FBI contract) ammo was loaded.

I recovered one from two 5 gallon water buckets and they equal or exceed Frontal area and penetration of 62 grain Barnes and 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. 61.6 grains retained weight, .445 expansion and 22 inches penetration in nylon Home Depot buckets which are a tough target (they will tear the wings off a .458 Barnes).

Thanks!

I like 25 grs of Varget! Load the same for 65 grn Sierras. I loade 26 grs of BCL2 as well and did not shoot as well. ARComp works well too, I think I had good groups with 24.5 grs.

Thanks.

I tried 25.0 Varget and got about 2850 fps from a 16 inch and WW brass as I recall. Flatter primer than IMR 4895 with similar velocity.

Do you recall your velocity with 26 gr BLC-2?

Sorry, I did not have the chrony with me that day. I tried that load based on the Sierra guide. I load my 63/65 gr .224's the same. AR Comp is a good powder too!

Laylandad,

thanks very much for the link.

those of you with Quickload, what would you do to interpolated data from 65 grain Sierra to the 64 grain Nosler Bonded solid Base?

Water volume with the Sierra is about 1/2 grain less than the nosler manual with the 64 grain bonded solid base using Nosler brass ( 27 grains water as I recall).

Even though it has about a 1/4 inch long solid base it is a very short bullet with the flat protected point.

QL data for the Sierra closely matches my emperical observations with 4895, Varget and RL15.

thanks again for assistance!

Andy

Here is a picture of the 64 grain bonded solid base recovered at a modest 2750 fps.

Using my favorite test medium. Two nylon plastic 5 gallon Home Depot buckets filled w water and a plastic lid. Closely duplicates both retained weight and frontal area of bullets fired into cape buffalo. (Nylon is tough and will rip wings off a 458 Barnes X). Also closely duplicates 10 percent IWBA gelatin shots with both pistol and supersonic rifle bullets for penetration.

About 62 grains and uniform .441 caliber.

Cut in two.

Plastic disc is from entrance to second bucket. 22 inches penetration total an inch or so more than a 62 grain Barnes X at 2890 fps.

Spliting front of bucket is rare in the 223. Conventional cup and draw bullets normally require 270 class ctg to do so. This indicates good dwell time of over pressure.

My take on 64 grain is that it is worth the effort to find AR15 friendly load for. Wish Nosler had done so for many Black gun users!

Tough little bullet. Maybe I'll get a chance to use mine on cougar someday... Legal here to hunt cougar with a .22 centerfire, but not deer. Looks like a great choice for the hunter intent on using the .223/5.56 on game.

Thanks for posting the info & photos!

Guy

Update on QL data. Bushmaster 16 inch barrel. Three chrono sessions at 75 degrees, 55 degrees and 40 degrees. 40 - 70 fps velocity loss with reference ammo at 40 degrees.

I tried H335 which topped out at 2700 fps.

W748 2800 fps and very accurate. (circa 1 inch w 5 shot groups three times). Velocity did not increase with 0.6 grains more powder. Might need magnum primer? Or barrel too short for 748 which is surprising?

IMR 4895. 2820 fps, low pressure but not very accurate. (2-3 inches).

RL15. 2840 fps, almost as accurate as W748. (Under 1 1/2 inch multiple times).

BLC-2. 2880 - 2950! Not very accurate but low pressure! (2 - 3 inches).

Winchester brass and primers.

Tried reloading BLC-2 with CCI 450 and looks like I will have to reduce charges a couple tenths with the magnum primer.

Will try American Eagle and Frontier brass next to see if I can improve accuracy of BLC-2 or velocity of RL15.

Target two inch Targ-dot in center of big black bullseye at 100 yds gave surprisingly uniform sight picture with 3 X Acog.

Reference ammo; Fusion MSR 2677 fps. 75 grain Hornady BTHP 2590 fps. IMI green tip, 3027 fps (very accurate), PMC green tip, 2979 fps, MK318 2970 fps, M193, 3052 fps, 53 gain hornady V max, 3114 fps.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Back